Guardians of the Galaxy

BrickSellerPlus

I think it's over rated and have seen it twice. It's entertaining enough and decent fluff, and the kids will love it, but there's no substance to it. I never felt like I was pulled into the film or that there was ever any real danger of anything happening to anyone. Was I the only one bothered by how many innocent people our heroes were killing (like the prison guards who are doing a necessary and important job)? The acting was weak, even for a Marvel movie, with Zoe Saldana in particular being noticeably bad. And there were only 3 times when I really laughed at something, which is disappointing for something advertised for its comedy. That Jackson Pollock line was awesome though. Days of Future Past is comfortably perched on the throne of Best Movie of the Year so far IMHO, let alone best comic book movie.

What this means for Lego investing? Definitely buy the sets. There are only 2 and since all the main players are in them I don't see any more coming until the next movie in 3 years. Lots of time to buy and sell. I'll wait until these are on discount at my usual suspects and pick up a few. Being a comics guy (who buys the Guardians comic monthly) I will definitely get one of each for personal play and display. When am I otherwise ever going to get a lego raccoon? Might have my lego Ent from Tower of Orthanc wrestle with Groot.

Agree that it's over rated. I liked it but was not blown away. It was too jokey for my tastes. Agree that Zoe Saldana was the weakest. Planet of the Apes 2 was the best movie I have seen so far this year although X-Men was very good and the the best comics movie.

• Like 1

Actually the best movie I a

Agree that it's over rated. I liked it but was not blown away. It was too jokey for my tastes. Agree that Zoe Saldana was the weakest. Planet of the Apes 2 was the best movie I have seen so far this year although X-Men was very good and the the best comics movie.

Your profile pic reminded me that the best movie I saw this year was the reshowing of Raiders of the Lost Ark I saw the other night as part of a film classics series our theatre chain was doing this summer. I still need to get all of the Indiana Jones lego sets.

• Like 1

I really, really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy.  Just loved its tone.  To make a movie like that, you kind of have to be winking at the camera throughout.  If you tried to make a SERIOUS movie with a talking raccoon, people would laugh you out of the theater.  Look at what happened to Green Lantern.  It tried to be serious, and it came across as unintentionally silly.  I think that the test of a good movie is whether or not it accomplished what it was trying to be, and accomplished it well.  That being said, you may just not care for the style, but that doesn't make it a bad movie.  Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be universally liked, if not loved.  My favorite comic movie of the year was Captain America: Winter Soldier.  I thought that movie nailed everything just right.  I liked X-Men Days of Future Past a lot, but I had a few plot problems with that one.  That being said, I quite enjoyed it.  I just LOVED Cap 2.  Thought it was a nearly flawless movie.  Loved, loved it.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting serious. It certainly wasn't marketed that way. I think my problem was that it didn't know what it wanted to be and so didn't hold together. It starts with a pretty grave scene (I won't spoil it for others but it's about as serious as Bruce Wayne losing his parents). Then it quickly tries to be all light and funny, and then out of nowhere at times it gets really violent. If it just wanted to wink at the camera like a live action Pixar movie that would have been fine, but it didn't really have that many laughs either. Despite the fact that it kept changing tone, it never went serious enough to make me care what happened to anyone or feel like they were truly in danger. It was sort of schizo I guess. 

I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 myself. I can think of 3 X-men movies, 2 Spider-man movies, 2 Iron Man movies, Cap 2, Blade 2, and the Avengers that I'd all sooner see again then Guardians. I only saw it twice because my wife missed seeing it with a group of us and insisted on seeing the raccoon. That said, I would like to see sequels as it wasn't bad by any means.

For me there were just a few too many jokes in GOTG. It got too slapstick in a few sections and it took me out of the story. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but people are going nutty over this movie and I thought it was just pretty good. I loved the music though, that was a good plot device although could he not just have made a digital copy of the tape at some point? He has all that technology and there is no device to transfer tape to digital?

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

For me there were just a few too many jokes in GOTG. It got too slapstick in a few sections and it took me out of the story. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but people are going nutty over this movie and I thought it was just pretty good. I loved the music though, that was a good plot device although could he not just have made a digital copy of the tape at some point? He has all that technology and there is no device to transfer tape to digital?

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Gah! Why people pay crazy money for atari games??? You can always get them on emulator of some sort , and for free.

Sentimental value is a very useful concept for resellers

• 2 weeks later...

There's already a thread in the Superheroes section I think.

Thanks for moving it.

I loved the movie and has been a hit in the Uk. I think that it has a cult look that could support collectors going after these mini figures. I was going to get a couple of sets but was nit sure if my love of the movie was clouding my judgement. 

I really like the sets. The movie was great. So I think they will do good. Also they are unique for now. To be honoust, I am a bit bored of the spidermans, supermans and batmans.

I bought the 76019: Starblaster Showdown before I saw the movie and I thought the set was pretty lame.  After watching the movie I really like the set.  I feel like I need more of the Nova ships to connect together.  

Hmmm I saw the movie last night, it's (really :) ) ok, but about the sets I'm not that sure.

The milano set is quite expensive, but 2 minifigs included are great (Gamora and Ronan). Drax is bad looking, he looks like a weakling. :negative:

The 76019 Starblaster shodown set has a really cool and accurate spaceship but minifigs have few interest.

Overall, the coolness is spread in the 3 sets, I do not see an obvious winner:

The 76021 milano is quite ok, minifigs included too. But it's an expensive set (high PPP).

The 76020 escape mission has 3 great minifigs (rocket, groot and nebula) but that's all... the rest is junk.

The 76019 starblaster is a really, really cool spaceship but minifigs are not that interesting IMO (though the version of starlord included seems cool).

I'll not invest in unless I see a huge discount. :(

Edited by biniou

However something interesting might be about that licence and the avengers.

Maybe these guardians will be part of the avengers team (or make an appearance) in Avengers 2 or 3.

This would give some more value to these sets.

Thanos is the hidden bad guy of "Guardians of the galaxy" and can be also seen at the end of "The Avengers" (movie)...

I wouldn't be surprised if the next avengers movies are based on the infinity gems (and BTW it reminds me the capcom arcade video game "marvel super heroes: war of the gems")

Edited by biniou

How kid friendly is the movie?  I'm not too worried about a little violence, but we try to avoid excessive swearing and obviously want to avoid any nudity, even if it's from some green alien chick.  Bring PG-13, I don't think most of this is an issue, but that rating can have a large range in it.

Big spoilers, you are warned.

The most shocking part may be

the very first scene when the hero's mother dies in a hospital, due to a cancer (leukaemia ?).

There are lazers beams which electrifies ennemies. No bloody headshots.

The most violent scene I remember is when groot pierce his arm through many ennemies, but at the end he made a stupid, innocent (and funny) smile.

The only blood I can remember is when a prisonner got sacrified (a hammer shot in the head, but off-screen) and then some black blood running on the floor.

I don't remember any nudit: no breasts, no butts... maybe we can see the bottom of the bad guy when go off his "bath" but I'm not sure.

But for sure some words are quite hard, I mean there are a lot of bad words, not "big son of a b**ch" but something like "you bastard"

The movie is ok for 13 years old kids IMO

Edited by biniou