31010 - Treehouse

TheOrcKing

I haven't started a new topic specifically asking what people thought about a certain set before but I suppose there's a first time for everything, eh? Anyway, I found a couple of this item on sale the other day and wondered what you guys think about the set itself.

I must say the designs are cute in a childlike way. However I feel a little reserved because there just isn't a large quantity of certain pieces to build something great with only one set or maybe even a few. There is an interesting variety of good parts, just not many. Another thing is Creator houses typically can earn some growth but again this is a very small kid's playhouse in every sense.

Still, there is a sort of fun allure to the whole thing with plenty of playful features in each build. I could definitely see this standing beside the Family House to complete the family scene. Perhaps at the right discount this could be considered?

tmp_image.png

I like all the Creator buildings.  I have a few of each (minus Mountain Hut, since it is newer).  It looks like the houses do well in general (historically), and even though this and the Cottage set are small, they are nice little sets that display well.

I don't generally like smaller sets, but I've made an exception in the case of the Creator buildings.

For me, these are also the type of sets I want parts from to build MOCs in the future, since I tend to be more interested in buildings/modulars.  So even if they lose from an investment standpoint, I win.  

As I said before in another thread, it's nice to be paired with a house, especially the 31012 family house. Family, which does not have any child, and no room for kids ? Hey ! That tree house is the solution.

Mom and dad in the house, boy in the tree house. These sets have nearly the same color scheme.

lego_c10.jpg

Jump at 10'30" for the video

The Hillside house (5771) may be cool with it too (or even better, but I didn't found any picture and I other sets to open before this one...) .

rasult11.jpg

Note: the 3 in 1 lego animation build

As I said before in another thread, it's nice to be paired with a house, especially the 31012 family house. Family, which does not have any child, and no room for kids ? Hey ! That tree house is the solution.

Mom and dad in the house, boy in the tree house. These sets have nearly the same color scheme.

I honestly did not think about the identical colors when I first heard about these two Creator houses for the second wave of last year but that video did show how perfectly they seem to go together as if they were meant to be paired up which could have been the original intent. A kid can build the Treehouse while the grownup with his/her Family House. Then when they're done, put them beside each other. Now I feel like the two sets could make a nice bundle pack.

Darn, how do I always seem to find ways of convincing myself with buying more than one of a certain set? Haha.

Guest TabbyBoy

Is it just me or do 5-digit sets seem to do away with ridge tiles for the roof?  I have to Bricklnk or eBay mine to finish off some half-arsed models.

Have you seen that treehouse show on one of the cable channels these days?  Those are some pretty extreme treehouses.  I'd love to live in them!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

just picked up 4 of these on walmart online for the rollback price of $23.99 a piece and free shipping.  they've been hard to find in stores so i was surprised WM online still had them in stock since the family house and mountain house for example are gone.  

the treehouse seems to be selling for $45ish consistently right now so seems like i made a good buy right?  hold on to these for a bit and see how they increase.  

well more like $40, but still.  it's sold out online and according to brickset.com it retired in november.  figure this could be a nice set with strong ROI. would like to see it hit $100 per in the next 8 months or so.  

Your dreaming if you think this will hit $100 soon.  Check some of the other recent $30 creator houses like 5766 Log Cabin.  It could often be found around $20 and sits now at $50 after being retired about a year.  I also wouldn't assume Treehouse is retired regardless of what Brickset says.  It is sold out ship in 30 days at Lego, not completely sold out like 31012 Family House.  Even then, sold out on Lego doesn't guarantee it will stay that way.

I do think it is a good set and I have stocked up at $20-24 since it hasn't lasted to clearance prices, but if it hits $50 in the next two weeks, I am selling every one I have and moving on.  I expect to see it restocked in January, and then maybe it will hit clearance prices below $20.  I could wrong and it is done too.  You never know.

ok fair enough. i'm learning a lot from this site.  i'm not really the investor/flipper as most are on here but i do have a bunch of the larger sets like modulars, death star etc held and waiting.  and a ton of mixels too.  figured this tree house at $23 would be a good grab and sit on it for about a year.  maybe around $60-70 i'll unload it. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Is it me or do Lego no longer supply ridge tiles in sets?  It brings out the OCD in me seeing all these "unfinished" roofs.  The Hillside House has them but not many since then.  If the ridges are offset, even a "half-ridge tile" would finish it off nicely.