Are Mixels a good investment?

work4fbi2

The Mixels - Love them or hate them. I'm not convinced but bought a box of 30 from series 1 (and 2 also I have to admit ;)). Why? They seem to be sold out already at LEGO Shop at Home, which might suggest that they are retired already after a very short period (1 or 2 months?). This opens an opportunity as an investment. Will there be a second run? Or does it have a short run because of the lack of succes? Difficult to say here in Belgium, Europe, as Cartoon Network is not that popular here. Any thoughts on this?

The short production runs is because these are being managed the same way as the Collectable Minifigures, Friends Collectables, and in certain ways the Chima Speedorz. The Collectable Minifigures, Friends Collectables, and these Mixels have three series in a year with each typically running four months. (1st series - January to April, 2nd series - May to August, 3rd series - September to December) It isn't a matter of not selling well but instead that is just how Lego's gameplan is for the lines.

I haven't watched the animated show honestly save for a couple shown online and all I can say is it is pretty bizarre. This is coming from a guy who can make perfect sense of Pink Floyd's The Wall. :mosking: There really isn't anything in my mind to compare the Mixels with so I am in the dark much as anyone else. I think the builds are quirky and the parts most excellent personally but I have no idea as to future desirability. I believe the line will continue onwards into 2015 with a Series 4, 5, & 6 as per a rumor and my own belief these are selling moderately well in the primary market.

Good question...

It does not hurt to buy some I guess. The production run was not very long of series 1 (also in the US). So even with Cartoon Network being popular the production halted. I will go out and find some loose mixels in the wild to complete series 1. And if it was not a success why would Lego bother to produce series 2? 

Curious as well about other people's opinions.

• Like 1

I believe in Mixels. They have a great Pokemon like feel to them (fire, lightning etc.) and people are going to collect these things. Since the production was so short they aren't that many out there stocked away and Bricklink already shows that they sell more than they are available. I bought 120 (Series 1) of them at $3.66 each, expect them to sell for $10-$15 by Christmas.

I believe in Mixels. They have a great Pokemon like feel to them (fire, lightning etc.) and people are going to collect these things. Since the production was so short they aren't that many out there stocked away and Bricklink already shows that they sell more than they are available. I bought 120 (Series 1) of them at $3.66 each, expect them to sell for $10-$15 by Christmas.

I believe in them as well.  For the investor with limited funds, they could be a nice choice.

If you forget about the TV show, the sets are damn cool and creative. I didn't even know there was a show, but I liked the sets. The CMFs still come to mind when I think of these sets and their possible potential.

That is a good point. I don't even think about the show when I look at these oddball little buggers. What I see is a bunch of interesting characters with uniquely useful pieces ....and I want them all.

bp_1404247885__i_want_it_all.png

• Like 1

That is a good point. I don't even think about the show when I look at these oddball little buggers. What I see is a bunch of interesting characters with uniquely useful pieces ....and I want them all.

bp_1404247885__i_want_it_all.png

Right.  I just don't want one...I want all of them.  In all the LEGO colors!!!  PINK...PURPLE...GREEN...

I see there are mainly believers out here. Cool. Fingers crossed. Exciting. CMF are not that widely available in Belgium, but you can get them in a few shop in the beginning of the release. But I have not seen any Mixels yet. So it is unlikely to find series 1 right now. Because of the association with cartoon network, there is a lower distribution in Europe? Do shops choose what they want to sell or does Lego decide, like with the "exclusives"?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Brickpicker

I wouldn't bother with (nice ROI but too much work for the profit IMO) but it may be ok for a kid/teenager to use his $100 savings buying some polybags and to resell them on craig's list to "double his stake" when EOL... (and he will not have to wait 2 years: 6 months seem to be long enough)

They should offer a healthy ROI (IMHO, as much as 3-400%, or a ceiling of $15-$20ea.). Personally I view them as more of a side item, something fun and awesome you grab whilst buying something larger. An extra to a gift in other words. That said, they appear very popular and look like a lot of fun. If Lego keep releasing them over the next few year, which is certainly likely, people could very well want to go back and collect. The MSRP puts them in the same price bracket as polybags, and honestly they could very well perform much better than most of those. If you don`t mind having lots of individual sales, these should do quite well for you in mass. 

• 1 month later...

I have no clue if there is money there. Personally I have not had very good experiences with small sets. Only if gotten them for free. My new investment strategy avoids those small sets like mixels cause it just is not worth it for me. The small sets I still have I am getting ridd off now. Too much work for small profits. I hope the people who did invest in these creatures will be successful anyhow.   

For the record, I'm more of a DSotM/WYWH guy with Dogs from Animals one of my favorite off-the-beaten path tracks.

I'll post a OLF "no prize" for the member here that can establish a link between that movie and Adam Ant.  How's that for a random Thursday night question?

I'll fell asleep to Animals countless times as Twentysomething. I still get back to that "feeling" every time I listen to Floyd. Good good times....

• Like 1