Ideas for a Winter Village

TheOrcKing

I was going to start this one at roughly the same time as the other about brainstorming ideas for a Halloween Town but became sidetracked. Moving along, how about we use this topic to come up with ideas for a custom Winter Village/Christmas Town for when ol' Hallows Eve is done? :santa: There is this holiday modified Cafe Corner by odysea11 if you haven't seen it for a start and the Winter Village sets are also good foundation beginners. Hmm.... I am actually at a bit of a loss here. I guess my mind is just more geared for Halloween with monsters, demons, costumes, candy, and.... stuff. :lol:

I don't know what it is, somehow, Halloween themed MOC's come across as edgy and cool, while the Chrismas ones just seem a little cheesy. The one above is by all measures an excellent MOC, but I can't help but picture it in the home of an old lady with WAY too many cats.

I would add that I think the Grand Carousel would look good with a FEW slight winter mods.

• Like 2

Ugh.  I do not like that Cafe Corner.  It's too over the top for me.

My ideas have been a little all over the place.  So far, I've got a few of the Winter Village sets:  Market, Cottage, Post Office, Toy Shop (Bricklinking that), the Christmas Tree stand and truck.  (I'm missing the Bakery).  Santa's sleigh from last year.  The Christmas tree polybags from last year.  The last couple of years of the Advent calendar have added some good things, too.

I'd love to get the holiday train, but it's pretty expensive.  I started to BL it, but I also have the Lone Ranger train.  So, I'm going to modify/combine the two of those into one.

I really like the idea of a quaint village, so I'm incorporating the Medieval Marketplace into the village.  That gives me some buildings.  The Lego Adventure Book Vol 2 has some good ideas for a medieval village, that I hope to incorporate as well.

I did buy the Bike Shop 3-in-1.  I bought two of them (I only like two of the builds), and I'm considering incorporating those buildings (with some added snow) to give me a few more buildings.  Not sure if it will conflict with the look of the medieval buildings, though (probably).

I considered buying the Town Hall, but man, is that big.  I don't think I want to go that big with town.

One other thing I forgot to mention - I like using the little polybag "stands" as carts around my Winter Village.  So, the new Balloon Stand will certainly find a place.  But there's a couple of Friends stands (and a Rapunzel stand) that will be making their way into the village this year.

Here's a small ice skating rink I came across today:

1.jpg

3.jpg

I really like the little shed to rent the skates at.

I had already started to sketch out some sort of idea for a pond.  I really need to pick up some more hockey players (I have one or two), because I'd love to have a 3 on 3 game going.  And then have a little area for some ice dancers/skaters, as well.

• Like 3

Here's a Flickr feed of Winter Villages that people have posted. There are some great sets in there.

Fantastic resource and great find. Not really Winter Village related specifically but I did like how this school bus was put together. Honestly this is one of the better versions in Lego I have seen that is minifigure scale yet maintains many realistic aspects as well. I've seen a few that look like the real counterpart but they're usually either too big or long to fit well within a Lego city.

14459141014_a961919ba0_b.jpg

school_12 by sdrnet

Also this Pretzel Van was a riot! Haha. It's basically a modification of the Ice Cream Machine but still cute.

12539549855_cd51f339e3_b.jpg

The pretzel van by Priovit70

• Like 1

Also this Pretzel Van was a riot! Haha. It's basically a modification of the Ice Cream Machine but still cute.

Certainly a nice addition to the WV Bakery.

About the school bus it makes me realize it would be a good idea to have one set with a school (same size of the coffee and bike shop, or a modular).

• 1 month later...

In this thread, the VIP invite is on display, and it shows that there will be a "Winter Skating Scene" will be available this November.  I'm really excited about it, because I've wanted to get a nice skating scene going for my village.

There was a skating scene as part of 10216.  It wasn't all that big but I don't think the giveaway set will be huge either. 

There was a skating scene as part of 10216. It wasn't all that big but I don't think the giveaway set will be huge either.

Yep. Of course, it's getting harder to get 10216 at a decent price. I picked one up last year at almost double RRP, and it's even higher now. But that part of the build is one of my favorites.

I'm curious, just because I want to do a bigger scene (multiples of this set coming out) so I can have a hockey rink or figure skating rink with the CMFs.

This was a funny post Migration!!! Just saw it today. My wife is laughing her ass off right now! She's slightly offended by the age thing, but we do have one cat(not quite a house full). She's slowly working on her Christmas Green Grocer which is coming out just as obnoxious.

I just personally like the HOHOHO part, worked out well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gingerbread House by lyninsquam

That house looks better as the witch's house from Hansel & Gretel.  It can be used as both Halloween and Christmas decoration.

Come to think of it, since the witch from Hansel & Gretel story was a pastry genius, who's to say the gingerbread people and their houses were not created by the witch ? Perhaps one of her experiments that gone bad ?