Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

I tried searching to see if you've already addressed this question, but didn't find anything. Would you consider changing the retail price that the "Amazon Discounts" prices compare to? Sometimes Amazon inflates the retail price, and then drops their listed price back down to retail, but it shows a percentage off of over 40%. If you instead compared the listed price to the MSRP in your database, then it would always show the correct percentage discount.

It's something I will mention to Jeff. I thought that's the way it was done, but what do I know, I just write the blogs. It's more of a programming issue. This ties into the above post about finding deals from various retailers for a particular set and inputting what you want your values to be. Basically, an alert system for LEGO deals.

Two things I'd love to see. One is integration with Bricklink, so that the prices there are also taken into account. Bricklink is sometimes higher and sometimes lower than eBay (even looking at US-only), and the price deviation can be very significant. The other is a better search-and-sort ability, including the ability to restrict the date range that's being looked at, and to look not just at the best performers but the worst performers (especially those sets that still sell for below RRP).

Two things I'd love to see.

One is integration with Bricklink, so that the prices there are also taken into account. Bricklink is sometimes higher and sometimes lower than eBay (even looking at US-only), and the price deviation can be very significant.

The other is a better search-and-sort ability, including the ability to restrict the date range that's being looked at, and to look not just at the best performers but the worst performers (especially those sets that still sell for below RRP).

The Bricklink idea is a great one, but there will never be any promises with that. We would love to work with them, but it would take work on their part and they still have their hands full. But we would definitely love to see that as well.

As for search, another member brought up a advanced query builder idea that would be similar to what is found on Brickset. That way members can query specific data. We both really like this idea and that will become a reality. Sooner than later too :)

• 1 month later...

Yep, i will get that net profit in there. I am working on updates to the Brickfolio now and will get something in there for that. The database is updated once a month. I am waiting on 1 day from May and was told about an hour ago that they are retrieving it for me. Once I get it, then i can get the update out there. Should be available by tomorrow if they get it to me at some point today.

Just a follow-up, could we work in a net profit after sales via different sites, i.e. after selling on eBay vs Amazon, and associated fees, etc? Also, I know Bricklink already does this, but are you considering adding an exchange service here? It seems like a natural progression.

Just a follow-up, could we work in a net profit after sales via different sites, i.e. after selling on eBay vs Amazon, and associated fees, etc? Also, I know Bricklink already does this, but are you considering adding an exchange service here? It seems like a natural progression.

The net profit issue will be addressed at some point, along with some other important additions. There just wasn't enough time to get it included with this update. Not speaking for Jeff, I would just like to say there are many more ideas we have planned, but it all takes time. This most recent update took Jeff months to do. If you change one little thing, many other non associated issues pop up and with more content, comes more potential problems. We've come a long way in a year and we look forward to being even more cutting edge as time goes on, but Jeff has a full time job that also needs attention. ;-)

As for the rest of your question, the data from the other sites would be supplied by the user I imagine. More complex tools will be the progression. These are all issues that have been discussed and will be addressed at some time. What we have to weigh out is how such advanced tools are used and by who and is it worth our effort to implement them. If only 5% of the members actually use them, then maybe our energies are best spent elsewhere on the site. We appreciate all the positive feedback and want members to realize we are always tinkering and improving things. We appreciate questions like yours, which enables me to explain what really happens when a member asks for a "small" change or addition to the site. There is no such thing as a small change at this point.

Please explain what you mean by "an exchange service"? Currency exchange? Set exchange? Let me know. Thanks again.

The net profit issue will be addressed at some point, along with some other important additions. There just wasn't enough time to get it included with this update. Not speaking for Jeff, I would just like to say there are many more ideas we have planned, but it all takes time. This most recent update took Jeff months to do. If you change one little thing, many other non associated issues pop up and with more content, comes more potential problems. We've come a long way in a year and we look forward to being even more cutting edge as time goes on, but Jeff has a full time job that also needs attention. ;-)

As for the rest of your question, the data from the other sites would be supplied by the user I imagine. More complex tools will be the progression. These are all issues that have been discussed and will be addressed at some time. What we have to weigh out is how such advanced tools are used and by who and is it worth our effort to implement them. If only 5% of the members actually use them, then maybe our energies are best spent elsewhere on the site. We appreciate all the positive feedback and want members to realize we are always tinkering and improving things. We appreciate questions like yours, which enables me to explain what really happens when a member asks for a "small" change or addition to the site. There is no such thing as a small change at this point.

Please explain what you mean by "an exchange service"? Currency exchange? Set exchange? Let me know. Thanks again.

Well, unfortunately your previous answer most likely answers it, since I definitely understand the trickle down effect. But what I was referring to is a less complicated form of Bricklink, where users could sell their Legos with your info integrated into the listings and visible to the buyers. I know this is already kind of done by referring to other sites' listings with each sets' stats, but then someone else is making the commission, not you guys. Personally, I like the none monetized format you have, but somewhere, you could make your money by bringing two willing parties together. I know its not easy, but neither is using Bricklink. :o)

By the way, if you guys haven't heard this from me yet, I/we, really appreciate your service. If nothing else, you could accept donations. I'm sure more than I have saved a lot of money with help from you and Jeff.

Well, unfortunately your previous answer most likely answers it, since I definitely understand the trickle down effect. But what I was referring to is a less complicated form of Bricklink, where users could sell their Legos with your info integrated into the listings and visible to the buyers. I know this is already kind of done by referring to other sites' listings with each sets' stats, but then someone else is making the commission, not you guys. Personally, I like the none monetized format you have, but somewhere, you could make your money by bringing two willing parties together. I know its not easy, but neither is using Bricklink. :o)

By the way, if you guys haven't heard this from me yet, I/we, really appreciate your service. If nothing else, you could accept donations. I'm sure more than I have saved a lot of money with help from you and Jeff.

We have an idea for something in the future that would enable members to interact in various manners, but we cannot sell product directly on our site. It breaks eBay's affiliate and Terapeak rules.

We have an idea for something in the future that would enable members to interact in various manners, but we cannot sell product directly on our site. It breaks eBay's affiliate and Terapeak rules.

What about the donations?

What about the donations?

I appreciate the offer...I really do. You can help us out like you are doing. Quality posts on the forums. Writing articles and content for the site(which will be up shortly by the way). Clicking on our links so we get affiliate commissions to pay for the sites costs. All those things are of value to Jeff and I. Unless we are talking several million dollars in donations...LOL

Hey Jeff and Ed, I've noticed since the new update that my signature has not updated. For example, when I added sets to my brickfolio the other day it didn't change the total # of sets represented on my signature when I make forum posts. Honestly this isn't a big deal at all, just something I noticed that seemed off and I figured I'd give you all a heads up. Thanks for everything!

Hey Jeff and Ed, I've noticed since the new update that my signature has not updated. For example, when I added sets to my brickfolio the other day it didn't change the total # of sets represented on my signature when I make forum posts. Honestly this isn't a big deal at all, just something I noticed that seemed off and I figured I'd give you all a heads up. Thanks for everything!

Sometimes by hitting the F5 button(several times) and reloading a page, the signature will update. I run Chrome and that was an issue for me before the update. I always tell people to clear their cache and browsing history as much as possible when running our site. It really seems to help process the data and quicken actions(at least to a computer hack like me). This is just the Ed Mack possible quick fix. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll have the computer guru look at it.

After noticing that the CREATOR EXPERT Palace Cinema 10232 thread was oddly enough under the "Star Wars Sets" category, I wondered if maybe there could be a "Creator Sets" category in the forum? With the new "Expert" subtheme starting this year, as well as all the other neat CREATOR sets we're getting or already have, we may need one.

We will add one. Thanks

We will add one. Thanks Just saw the "Creator Sets" category and already moved the mentioned thread there. Thank you, guys.

I just want to say how much I love the new "LEGO Reviews" page and the layout of the price guide for sets is very organized. Terrific job!

The site just keeps getting better and better!

There is a task that runs every 20 minutes that checks to find the people that have updated their Brickfolio. This is when your graphic will get updated. I do this to help try and keep it the site from constantly having to process data and graphics over and over again.

Another quick idea, how about a category for "CUUSOO Sets"? There has been a lot of discussion on the "Minecraft" set alone to fill up a page or two, there will be much to talk about with the Delorean coming up soon, and progress for CUUSOO is gaining some momentum. A category for CUUSOO would be a perfect place for everyone to post topics for their favorite 'picks' I think.

Another quick idea, how about a category for "CUUSOO Sets"? There has been a lot of discussion on the "Minecraft" set alone to fill up a page or two, there will be much to talk about with the Delorean coming up soon, and progress for CUUSOO is gaining some momentum. A category for CUUSOO would be a perfect place for everyone to post topics for their favorite 'picks' I think.

I'll tell Jeff to add it later. Any more.? LOL

Love the site. I have been having trouble running a search on my Brickfolio. Example: I type "Zombie" trying to find 40076 Zombie Car within my Brickfolio, it does not find it. No matter what the search term, I seem to get the same results that are unrelated to my search term. Oh and how do I add a cool Collection Summary as my signature in the forums?

Love the site. I have been having trouble running a search on my Brickfolio. Example: I type "Zombie" trying to find 40076 Zombie Car within my Brickfolio, it does not find it. No matter what the search term, I seem to get the same results that are unrelated to my search term.

Oh and how do I add a cool Collection Summary as my signature in the forums?

It's doing the same thing for me when I just type a name in the search bar of my Brickfolio. Typing the exact set number usually works.

If you want to add the "Collection Summary" badge to your signature.

1. Go to the main page.

2. Click and expand the Brickfolio tab.

3. Click on the "Promote Brickpicker.com" link.

4. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.

There you will find two options. One for "Show Badge in Forum?", the other "Brickfolio Value Private?" and check for Yes!

That's how you add the "Collection Summary" badge.