70816 - Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

LegoSteve

I have a couple of these and will keep it at that. Unless I find them on a very good discount I might buy another one or two. I am really in the dark with this Movie theme. Maybe the QFLL'ers can give more insight on how these sets are doing. I am not a QFLL perse. So I have no clue. I am suspicious this theme is for kids and not so much for AFOLS. 

I sold a few of these via amazon in Dec for $115 when it was oos there. I got them from Boscovs for $65. 

I wonder about this set too. It could be the vampyre castle of this theme, Sea Cow being the HH. 

• 5 weeks later...

Managed to get 15 Benny's, looked online last night ready for pickup, got an additional 10% off walmart associate discount plus used my discover card so maybe an extra 5% back if I am lucky!  Got a bit of running around to do but think its worth it on this set, going to hold onto them till the next movie is out.   Just took a look a few mins ago and they seem to have the price back up at all stores unless I am looking wrong?

Edited by outatime

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Yeah alot of people bought in at $49-60 and the recent euro sales data suggests this isn't a strong seller. I still like it but I think it may take awhile to rise to the prices people were expecting. 

I agree, it's struggling in Europe, has limited appeal and can only result in disappointment. It's one of those sets that you buy at >50% off and only for the parts ;-)

Yeah alot of people bought in at $49-60 and the recent euro sales data suggests this isn't a strong seller. I still like it but I think it may take awhile to rise to the prices people were expecting. 

I can think of quite a few widely and massively discounted sets that were excellent sets...almost all of my inventory, in fact. 

I can think of quite a few widely and massively discounted sets that were excellent sets...almost all of my inventory, in fact. 

To me the fact that a set is highly discounted doesn't necessarily mean that it's a poor seller, it just mean it's a set wiiiiidely available so sellers have to struggle to sell their products.

To me the fact that a set is highly discounted doesn't necessarily mean that it's a poor seller, it just mean it's a set wiiiiidely available so sellers have to struggle to sell their products.

Widely available can also be a good thing..perhaps better to have a massive clearing out for a set that isn't even a year old (clearing out at least a retail) and have supply online only in (hopefully) smaller numbers. This early in its life cycle TLG can also simply produce fewer sets down the line if it is such a poor seller. Again, this set is just a baby...I recall this panic about wide discounting in so many other threads on here I've lost count. Even if you buy at a nice discount you'll probably still have to hold another 18-24 months to see a sizeable profit anyway. To that end, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to nab these close to MSRP, but if clearance deals fall in my lap I'll nab them.

The recent euro sales data don't really tell us anything for Benny's Spaceship because it's non exclusive, people don't need to buy it from LEGO Shop at Home when it's going to be cheaper in stores.

I think the important thing for this one is that as a kid of the 80's it's what I would have made or played with and it's looks pretty cool and when future AFOL's come out of their Dark Ages they may think that too, so it could be a slow burner.

• Like 1

The recent euro sales data don't really tell us anything for Benny's Spaceship because it's non exclusive, people don't need to buy it from S@H when it's going to be cheaper in stores.

I think the important thing for this one is that as a kid of the 80's it's what I would have made or played with and it's looks pretty cool and when future AFOL's come out of their Dark Ages they may think that too, so it could be a slow burner.

I agree.  Any old Space fan will love and want to buy this set.  Many will come out of their Dark Ages over the next several years and this set will interest them.  

I agree.  Any old Space fan will love and want to buy this set.  Many will come out of their Dark Ages over the next several years and this set will interest them.  

Of all the lego movie sets, this one speaks to the 30+ year old fan. 

The pirate ship is epic, but it doesn't evoke anything from my childhood. 

Now if you want to think 15-20 years out to when the current lego movie fans come out of their dark ages, then sure maybe the pirate ship becomes the big winner, but i see current AFOL's wanting Benny's ship over the Pirate ship on many levels.