70816 - Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

LegoSteve

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

25% increase over the past 45 days.  Things are looking up for 'ol Benny.  $125 FBA

I always liked this set for it's long-term potential as it is truly iconic. The performance of this one will influence if I will buy the huge Lego Batman movie batcar.

4 hours ago, exciter1 said:

25% increase over the past 45 days.  Things are looking up for 'ol Benny.  $125 FBA

So basically still below RRP after fees. Fine if you got it at 70% off but poor compared to 9493, which was available for less at the same time.

1 hour ago, Legojona said:

I always liked this set for it's long-term potential as it is truly iconic. The performance of this one will influence if I will buy the huge Lego Batman movie batcar.

Still plenty to choose from below RRP on Ebay and Bricklink - 2 years after retirements but no idea if that should influence a decision on the LBM sets - different film, different times-

There are still plenty pieces in bricklink under RRP, which is horrible for the set which 2 years after EOL. Even bought with some discount (EUR 65), it is hard to be in reasonable profit. For me it is a big disappointment - this set is not just for Lego Movie fans, but also for classic space lovers, because (without figs) its the biggest and most beautiful classic space ship.

Also based on this, Batman Movie sets have ZERO investment potential for me. This movie is a fail, nobody will remember it after some weeks, and there is PLENTY other batman sets on the market, not connected with the movie. Maybe in USA it can have some success, but I cannot imagine who can buy these sets after 1-2-3 years.

Edited by fantomas007
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

There are still plenty pieces in bricklink under RRP, which is horrible for the set which 2 years after EOL. Even bought with some discount (EUR 65), it is hard to be in reasonable profit. For me it is a big disappointment - this set is not just for Lego Movie fans, but also for classic space lovers, because (without figs) its the biggest and most beautiful classic space ship.

That's what gets me about this set, I love it, not just like it, or very fond of it, I actually love it. And if a kid comes into our house and sees it, they go mad for it, not any of the other sets dotted around, they instantly want to play with it. 

This is so much better than buying another X-Wing, or another Falcon, and I love both of those ships, this was such a cool set and such a throwback to the 80's Space.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Good point, buying Lego playsets these days is like buying a Citroen - get a great discount on sticker price but don´t expect good residuals when you want to sell.

I’m not sure that Lego really knows how much a set is worth, prior to putting it on the market.  So price it high and the sets will settle at a 10% – 50% discount in store, depending on the market.  

With Benny, if the retail on this had been £40 and it was now moving at a £80/£90, it would be consider at least a partial success.  The fact that it had a retail of £80, was available in vast quantity for months at £40, bought by resellers in vast quantities at £40 and is now selling at £80/£90 it’s not.  

25 minutes ago, feed said:

I’m not sure that Lego really knows how much a set is worth, prior to putting it on the market.  So price it high and the sets will settle at a 10% – 50% discount in store, depending on the market.  

With Benny, if the retail on this had been £40 and it was now moving at a £80/£90, it would be consider at least a partial success.  The fact that it had a retail of £80, was available in vast quantity for months at £40, bought by resellers in vast quantities at £40 and is now selling at £80/£90 it’s not.  

Same as with 75150 this year.

To be fair, many other sets such as 9493, 60022 and 79018 were also available at deep discount and had similar RRP´s but have done far better.

Edited by Val-E

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

It will probably keep going up over here. The horde is thinning on this one.

exactly.  time cures all stashes.  seller count gets into the 20s on amazon , price increases and cagr recovers.  i also grew impatient with this one about 2 months ago and sold 3 of the 4 i picked up at walmart for $49 for $103 on amazon FBM so i broke even.  with 3 exceptions (Sea Cow, Double Decker Couch, and Em's Mech), the lego movie even at 30-50% off msrp has been a poor investment choice at  least in terms of initial accrual.  specifically the $29.99 MSRP sets except for the ice cream truck have been a real disappointment even with a buyin under $20.   i have no doubt those with the stomach to hold these for another 1-2 years will see solid profit but averaged out over the years, TLM investing is like sending your money to club med in Jamaica instead of actually going to work for you.  i still have a stash of 2 dozen CCP's that i hope get to $50 one day.

Edited by cladner

exactly.  time cures all stashes.  seller count gets into the 20s on amazon , price increases and cagr recovers.  i also grew impatient with this one about 2 months ago and sold 3 of the 4 i picked up at walmart for $49 for $103 on amazon FBM so i broke even.  with 3 exceptions (Sea Cow, Double Decker Couch, and Em's Mech), the lego movie even at 30-50% off msrp has been a poor investment choice at  least in terms of initial accrual.  specifically the $29.99 MSRP sets except for the ice cream truck have been a real disappointment even with a buyin under $20.   i have no doubt those with the stomach to hold these for another 1-2 years will see solid profit but averaged out over the years, TLM investing is like sending your money to club med in Jamaica instead of actually going to work for you.  i still have a stash of 2 dozen CCP's that i hope get to $50 one day.

70807 - Metalbeard's Duel is doing pretty well at $80 FBA

I consider the Lego Movie to be a pretty iconic movie, and having 2 young boys, I see firsthand how it's a movie kids like to watch often. My oldest is 7 and saw it when it was released, and now my 4 year old loves it too. And it's not just my family, who might be a little Lego obsessed because of me, but it's many kids their age. I was just at someone's house yesterday for work installing a door in a 9 year olds room and he had a Lego batman movie poster on the wall and an Emmet pillow case.
There's not much promise for sets like Creative Ambush, but for some of the big sets like Benny's I think there is potential for a long time. It's taken awhile to rise in price because there's so many out there and the kids that were of age at the time may already have it if their parents could afford it. But there's new kids being made everyday! Some of them will want this set. Some of their siblings may already have one. Some won't be able to afford it until they're older. I only have 3 or 4 that I got pretty cheap so I don't mind waiting to see if it gets to $200 someday. Also will be interesting to see what the sequel does. Benny could have a bigger role or not be in the movie at all. There could be a remake of the set or there could be something totally different.
As for fans of classic space wanting this, I would think they all already have it. There's not going to be many more classic space fans coming out of their dark ages anymore.

• Like 2