Mixels 2015

TheOrcKing

Fred Meyer has ok deals going on now including mixels. I just picked up enough series 3 to complete all my sets (should have done w series 2), and Im done. So....how long till series 5 hits US?

Series 4 doesn't even officially hit until Feb 1, I think.  I do believe July/August is about right for Series 5 to hit.

I think that cashing out of series 2 at $90 makes a lot of sense. For most members, the profit will be over 100% after fees and the sellers will only be making another 9% in the 9 months that follows. Those sales can be easily rolled into other sets for the Christmas season or long term holds.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

• Like 2

That's my thought.  I don't know that they will hit $120, like Series 1.  I do think they will go above $100, but it will take awhile.  Legoland California still has them on the shelves.  They just haven't moved very quickly.  

I'm pretty much skipping Series 3.  We talked about it in a different thread yesterday, but there were a lot of Series 3 that were bought by the Meijer crowd at $1.50 or less.  It's going to be very easy for those folks to make the profit that I would want at much lower price point than I.

And some people laugh when I touch on increased competitions in secondary market ;)

• Like 1

I think that cashing out of series 2 at $90 makes a lot of sense. For most members, the profit will be over 100% after fees and the sellers will only be making another 9% in the 9 months that follows. Those sales can be easily rolled into other sets for the Christmas season or long term holds.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Well, it depends on your situation.  For me, I've long since moved into the black on Mixels.  So, I'm in a position to hold for a long time and not worry about what price I sell them out.  I could take donate all my Series 2 Mixels and I won't have lost a penny.  But I'm in a good position to hold onto these and wait for the $100 mark.  I'll be patient.  :)

And some people laugh when I touch on increased competitions in secondary market ;)

Yes and no.  Depends on your entry point.  Honestly, if Meijer hadn't come along, I'd say Series 3 would have healthy returns even purchasing at RRP.  The best I can do is 10% off (thank you Legoland California), or, maybe some coupon stacking at TRU to get it to 20% off.  I can't compete with 75% or more off RRP though.  So, I'm abandoning the Series 3 market.

Overall, yes, increased competition sucks, and anyone that thinks there isn't increased competition every day in the secondary market is silly.  But, as long as you make smart decisions, you'll do fine.  Despite having one of the highest prices for Series 1 Mixels on eBay (some days, as much as $20 higher), my sales have been healthy despite people selling off at a much cheaper price.

• Like 1

Even though there has been some major sales for series 3 it seems like they are selling for msrp prices on eBay.

This is my observation as well.  First folks complain about posting Meijer deals in the DD, since the store is so regional and not many have access to them.  Then a few Meijer buyers get some great deals on Mixels and they've tainted the market?  I don't really think it will effect the market to a great degree and you will be surprised.  Although, I'm sure the buyers holding at $0.50 - $2.00 a Mixel feel pretty good about their positions.

• Like 1

This is my observation as well.  First folks complain about posting Meijer deals in the DD, since the store is so regional and not many have access to them.  Then a few Meijer buyers get some great deals on Mixels and they've tainted the market?  I don't really think it will effect the market to a great degree and you will be surprised.  Although, I'm sure the buyers holding at $0.50 - $2.00 a Mixel feel pretty good about their positions.

I hit all my local Meijer's in Chicagoland and I landed one cheap Mixel.  Literally one.  I don't think many people walked out of Meijer's with cases and cases.  I do definitely think more people had started listening to Alpinemaps though by S3 and lots more holding them is all.

The fact that Series 4 is arguably the best so far will just make good news for the previous series, kids will need to have them all!!!

Agreed.  The fact that more sellers were/are aware of Mixels (ie. increased competitions ;) ) was the driving force keeping prices of Series 3 in check.  The discounts, at best, only helped keeping the pressure downward.

Edited by Darth_Raichu

Well, it depends on your situation. For me, I've long since moved into the black on Mixels. So, I'm in a position to hold for a long time and not worry about what price I sell them out. I could take donate all my Series 2 Mixels and I won't have lost a penny. But I'm in a good position to hold onto these and wait for the $100 mark. I'll be patient. :)

I agree with you that there is no need to sell but the example I choose to explore is that I got my series 2 at a very good average price and have to consider selling 3 sets at $270 in the spring and picking up an Ewok Village with the profits (insert any exclusive at 200+ Red5, Simpsons, Sea Cow, Tumblers, etc) or hold until Christmas and sell at $300-315 and potentially miss out on retiring exclusives.

I can go either way but I will be closely following price trends to determine how to maximize my portfolio :)

Ex Astris, Scientia.

I certainly didn't complain about Meijer deals.  I don't see how they are any different than Fry's, or Fred Meyer, or any other regional store.  Totally appropriate for the DD.  I'm quite happy for everyone that got in to the Meijer deal.  It's just what happens.  I also don't get in on a lot of the Target and Walmart deals, because I live in SoCal, and stuff just doesn't stick around when it goes on sale.

Maybe I misread the posts, it seemed like a lot of people were getting in on the deal.  I could be totally wrong, and I may end up completely missing the boat on Series 3. 

I hit all my local Meijer's in Chicagoland and I landed one cheap Mixel.  Literally one.  I don't think many people walked out of Meijer's with cases and cases.  I do definitely think more people had started listening to Alpinemaps though by S3 and lots more holding them is all.

The fact that Series 4 is arguably the best so far will just make good news for the previous series, kids will need to have them all!!!

Agreed.  The fact that more sellers were/are aware of Mixels (ie. increased competitions ;) ) was the driving force keeping prices of Series 3 in check.  The discounts, at best, only helped keeping the pressure downward.

I think you're right.  Not about people listening to me.  But I do think that by the time S3 came around, people were finally taking notice of them.  I will continue to point to Jeff Mack for even putting Series 1 on my radar to begin with.  I only had a couple of sets, though, when they started disappearing from the shelves.  That's when I found some at TRU, did a quick eBay search, and then within days bought out every Mixel in San Diego county.  :)

Series 4, in my mind, is the best so far.  I love them.  I think they look the best of the four series out so far.  Series 3 was an improvement over Series 2.  Series 2 is my least favorite.

The other day, though, my daughter asked me to build her one of the new Series 4 that I had picked up.  It was past her bedtime, and she wanted to see it glowing if she woke up in the middle of the night.

I've got to admit, I love these little guys.  They look awesome.  They are fun, quick builds.  But they look great.  Exotic enough.  They almost make it feel like I've created it myself.  They are very original.   I'm having a hard time not building them myself (e.***., letting the kids build them instead), and I have a hard time not wanting to buy a couple of sets for myself, so we can have individual and combined Mixels hanging around.

• Like 3

I've got to admit, I love these little guys.  They look awesome.  They are fun, quick builds.  But they look great.  Exotic enough.  They almost make it feel like I've created it myself.  They are very original.   I'm having a hard time not building them myself (e.***., letting the kids build them instead), and I have a hard time not wanting to buy a couple of sets for myself, so we can have individual and combined Mixels hanging around.

My son likes them and has all of series 1-3.  He has opened most of them but not all.  The other day I told him that he could get $100 if he sold just the red, yellow and black guys.  He said "Really?  Put them on ebay!"

It warmed my QFLL heart.

I won't though (until I sell through all of my others first probably) heh heh.

• Like 4

I certainly didn't complain about Meijer deals.  I don't see how they are any different than Fry's, or Fred Meyer, or any other regional store.  Totally appropriate for the DD.  I'm quite happy for everyone that got in to the Meijer deal.  It's just what happens.  I also don't get in on a lot of the Target and Walmart deals, because I live in SoCal, and stuff just doesn't stick around when it goes on sale.

I know it wasn't you and I miss on tons of opportunities from these other stores I don't have access to.  I only have one TRU and zero Target or Meijer stores within 2hrs of me.

I know it wasn't you and I miss on tons of opportunities from these other stores I don't have access to.  I only have one TRU and zero Target or Meijer stores within 2hrs of me.

Oh, I know it wasn't directed at me.  I was more validating what you were saying.

My son likes them and has all of series 1-3.  He has opened most of them but not all.  The other day I told him that he could get $100 if he sold just the red, yellow and black guys.  He said "Really?  Put them on ebay!"

It warmed my QFLL heart.

I won't though (until I sell through all of my others first probably) heh heh.

That made me LOL.  My daughter has a desire to open her yellow Mixels, but hasn't yet.  I'm sure if I traded her an American Girl doll for Mixels, though, she'd probably do it in a heartbeat.  She's gotten a little desensitized to Lego.  Two years ago, I was buying her at least one of every Friends set, and putting it away.  Both her and I don't even blink at those sets anymore.  Which is fine, because I'll sell them at some point.

alpinemaps,

looks like TLG just announced  release of mixels (series 5 and 6) with the newer yellow and red tribe in them

have you looked at the similarity between red tribes of S1 vs orangish pack- red tribe of S4

namely between

flain and meltus

vulk and flamger

zorch and bunard (eyes might be a little different here but very close )

might be a good time to bail on the S1 ?

alpinemaps,

looks like TLG just announced  release of mixels (series 5 and 6) with the newer yellow and red tribe in them

have you looked at the similarity between red tribes of S1 vs orangish pack- red tribe of S4

namely between

flain and meltus

vulk and flamger

They are the same tribe, the Infernites.

alpinemaps,

namely between

flain and meltus

vulk and flamger

Series 4 includes three more Red tribe members, so I would expect them to be very similar to the Series 1 Red tribe.

Series 5 has a yellow/red mix as one of the tribes, so I see that as being different enough from the Red tribe not to be worried.