10223 - Kingdoms Joust

Ed Mack

• 9 months later...

I just picked up 2 of these from a seller on eBay who has 8 of them, Buy It Now for $100 w/ free shipping. This set and the medieval market are the only two Kingdoms sets in production that look like promising investments to me right now. Below MSRP makes it too hard to pass up! Cheers, Dave

Just for a little reality, this set went upwards of $120 before Christmas but looking on ebay now a bunch have recently sold around $95 to $100 with free shipping as prices come down after Christmas. This set has been $92.33 on Amazon last October and I expect it to hit that price point or a little lower again. One of the cool things about camelcamelcamel.com is the Amazon price history chart which I've found isn't always accurate, but it is better than nothing. There are no guarantees but I would expect it to sell around that price again or lower before it goes EOL. It is a 2012 set so it may be around a little longer. I think it is a good value at that price or below and probably will pick up a few more.

Now that 10193 appears to have gone, is this set going to be the replacement large Castle set? If so it could be around for a few years yet. 10193 lasted for 4 years - although the 2011 Lego Collectors guide said it was only available in 2009. That's wrong as I bought one in October.

• 5 months later...

I have no information on this but talking about 10193 on another thread has got me thinking.

10223 is arguably the replacement for 10193. But it is also a Kingdoms set and when I was in the Lego store last month looking for 853373 chess set which had gone, they mentioned that the Kingdoms theme is going.

So will this set be going soon after a relatively short life. It came out in early 2012.

It's still available at LEGO Shop at Home UK (limit of 5) even the BP says it is not. The cheapest Amazon deal is

• Like 1

Maybe take your chances and wait for 2x VIP pts promo?  Would sweeten the retail price purchase if 2x pts and free Jor-El if still available.  No idea when the next VIP points promo will happen...seems like months ago.  If you have to get ONE Joust than safer/no harm buying now and not missing out.   

Seems like your leaning towards the purchase...and with the background info you posted, I would buy that set now too if I really like it or had to have at least one set.  In CAN it's listed as 'hard to find' and $149.99 lol.  Even with 9 minifigs seems a little high but that's just me.  Unless there's a sale or really good promo I won't be buying this set...thought the Chess set was good value so bought 4 total, even at $59.99 CAN retail.   

I had not heard anything about the joust being retired. It doesn't list it online as retire soon. Keep in mind the "inside knowledge" you get from Lego store employees is worthless. They know little to nothing about Lego despite the fact that they work there, I usually end up telling them when a set is retiring, that you can invest in Lego, etc.

With that beig said the joust has been around for quite awhile and with a replacement castle and liscenced Lotr theme there is little use to keep it around. But then again medieval market stated around for years after that theme had been retired.

I'd check with Emazers, but I think he would have noted that this set was due to retire in 2013.  As far as I know it can still be ordered by those with a wholesale account for the year.

Probably won't find a lot in B&M stores, but should be available online for the short-term.  I'd hold out for a better promotion, personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news about this set guys?  The price on Amazon jumped $10 yesterday or the day before.  Used to be $109.  Same on Target online.  Are they going low on stock?

I looked for them at my lego store here in cincinnati and they no longer carry them. They said they did think they would be getting any chess sets in either, so what they had on the shelf was it. Keep in mind this is info from lego store flunkies who often know nothing about lego.

I would say it is a good investment and will be a popular set in the future.