10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Guest brickcrazyhouse

is the increase in price a way to get around the no discount rule.  making it look like you're getting a deal when actually the normal srp

is the increase in price a way to get around the no discount rule.  making it look like you're getting a deal when actually the normal srp

The more I think about it, it's probably for this reason.  I believe target was doing that with the SSD and 10188 not long ago....listed them at $429 then suddenly had a "sale" after awhile for $400.  Buyers may not be aware of MSRP and when a "sale" happens, they feel like they are getting a deal.

I wonder if there is any chance that the Reveal at the german toy fair is a replacement of R2-D2?  Maybe?  I did not see a set number for that reveal but Iexpect it will be a new set.  Not sure Under the lego news section I could not find more than that.  If the new one is in fact a set I will be loading R2 real fast.

Interesting idea. Doesn't the SSD need to go first? Like officially?

I am thinking that SSD and the deathstar are done.  Death star retired some time this year due to the ewok village.  R2-d2 retired due to this new droid, SSD  retired due to sand crawler or other UCS set.  The ewok village is not a UCS just like the DS is not a UCS.  I don't think i am going to wait too long though.  These are hard to find anywhere and not pay tax other than Lego and amazons limit of 2 could run out real quick if retirement is announced.  I think it is a fairly safe bet at this stage in their life cycles, but who really knows.  They may just retire them without notice.  I think they are sound and will invest accordingly.

While it is still selling well Lego will continue to make it, that's my philosophy of these large sets that are priced in the hundreds of dollars. B-wing sales were bad, so it wasn't around for long. Anyone else agree? Once a set is designed and markerted, it doesn't cost Lego much to produce these and they can still sell them.

Guest TabbyBoy

My only hope is that R2-D2 hasn't been made in vast quantities as it seems to be available everywhere but, my local kebab van!  I have 2, 1 for the long haul and 1 to build.  Since he's an iconic character, I wouldn't be surprised if he even outlives a certain other set that I'd dare not mention.  I'm saving my StarWars sets until episode 7 to see what, if anything, I have is shown in the movie.  A new "Malevolence" would answer my prayers as they're not shifting even at half price!

An R2-D2 at 1/3 off or 3-for-2 is worth getting but, not at RRP.

I am thinking that SSD and the deathstar are done.  Death star retired some time this year due to the ewok village.  R2-d2 retired due to this new droid, SSD  retired due to sand crawler or other UCS set.  The ewok village is not a UCS just like the DS is not a UCS.  I don't think i am going to wait too long though.  These are hard to find anywhere and not pay tax other than Lego and amazons limit of 2 could run out real quick if retirement is announced.  I think it is a fairly safe bet at this stage in their life cycles, but who really knows.  They may just retire them without notice.  I think they are sound and will invest accordingly.

the death star retired?.....what other jokes you got?

• Like 1

Could be on the way out. It isn`t quite on the way out let, unless it retires early. 2 years will be up in May according to Brickset. It may be retiring, but I hope not quite yet. At least until after x2 VIP  in (rumoured) April. If you are worried and have the money, probably no harm in buying soon. There is a promo for a Martian Minifigs coming up soon, and the purchase of this will definitely qualify for one. Would help take the sting out of MSRP, but that`s just me. I still need to buy one of these for me personally, not to mention investment. Better get on that if it is on the way out  xD I`m confident there is still some time left though, but of course, you never know for sure. 

Guest brickcrazyhouse

how is the yoda deemed a bust? I've seen others say that...it sells for x3 retail.

bust 1 |b?st|nounwoman's chest as measured around her breasts a 36-inch bust.