79018 - The Lonely Mountain

Ok, we all wanted a Smaug, and we all wanted him to be big, I am not sure if the model they had at comic con is the final version or not but I assume it is. Has anyone else noticed that he is larger than any previous dragon from Lego?

I was playing around with my Nephew a few months back and he has the 2013 Dragon mountain as well as one of the Dino T Rex's and I noticed that the T Rex body was a LOT bigger than the dragons. I thought, "if they wanted to make Smaug right, they need to use the T Rex body piece instead of the tiny dragon one" it looks like Smaug not only has a modified T Rex body piece but larger, flexible wings as well, something else I thought would make Smaug work.

Even though we never got a fell beast from Lego, or the citadel guards or the million other things that they could have done that would have been great that they didn't, at least they chose not mess up Smaug, and I am thrilled about that!

For another thing, these large, rare animals tend to go up in value down the road, pretty substantially sometimes as we saw with the HP horntail. 

I like the new Smaug, but many on this forum don't agree with me.  I think the Smaug maxifigure is one of the best of all time and that the set will be a nice investment if bought at a discount.  If people look closely at it, they will see a quality item.  

• Like 3

I like the new Smaug, but many on this forum don't agree with me.  I think the Smaug maxifigure is one of the best of all time and that the set will be a nice investment if bought at a discount.  If people look closely at it, they will see a quality item.  

I haven't been around enough to see what they don't like about it, I was never expecting or looking for a brick built smaug, I figured they would just throw a normal dragon in the set with maybe a few elements tweaked, but instead they went nearly all out, I was certain they would never make a MASSIVE Smaug - like 2-3' long, so I can't say I left much room to be disappointed. We also have something that could be turned into a fell beast now.  

Besides, a truly enormous Smaug isn't very playable, it could only be a display piece, I like things that can endure some play.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a feeling they would cheap out and use a dragon like we have seen in the past. Oh well glad i didnt pick up a bunch of the Dragon Mountains from the castle series, dragons have had a good return in the past but with two active sets both with a very similar size and colored dragon i dont see much return on that set.

• 1 month later...

At a Lego store now about to open, manager just walked up with the new Lonely Mountain set.

I think it looks great. Smug looks better than the photos show.

Not thrilled about this line for investing, but as a life-long LOTR fan am thrilled to see this set.

At a Lego store now about to open, manager just walked up with the new Lonely Mountain set.

I think it looks great. Smug looks better than the photos show.

Not thrilled about this line for investing, but as a life-long LOTR fan am thrilled to see this set.

No need to worry about investing in the last series yet, probably another year before they start to retire.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I noticed that there weren't any Hobbit sets in the latest January Lego catalog I received the other day. So, I'm assuming that the last Hobbit wave will have an extremely short shelf life. Even if it is around a little while longer, I can't believe they wouldn't have advertised them in the catalog to increase their sales.

Anyone think this may equate to higher ROIs on sets like The Lonely Mountain, since it has a higher price point to begin with and it looks like it won't be around for long, meaning few will have hoarded it?

Considering that, Is it a good deal at RRP?

All the Walmarts, Targets, TRUs, etc around me have the other last wave sets, but none of them have Lonely Mountain.

I noticed that there weren't any Hobbit sets in the latest January Lego catalog I received the other day. So, I'm assuming that the last Hobbit wave will have an extremely short shelf life. Even if it is around a little while longer, I can't believe they wouldn't have advertised them in the catalog to increase their sales.

Anyone think this may equate to higher ROIs on sets like The Lonely Mountain, since it has a higher price point to begin with and it looks like it won't be around for long, meaning few will have hoarded it?

Considering that, Is it a good deal at RRP?

All the Walmarts, Targets, TRUs, etc around me have the other last wave sets, but none of them have Lonely Mountain.

I was wondering that as well.  Not because of the catalog, but because of lack of stock in stores I've been to and online.  Although, after Christmas stock is going to be depleted anywhere. 

Lonely Mountain probably hasn't been produced in any significant quantities yet. It's an expensive set in a somewhat unpopular theme that just released around 2 months ago, during which time production resources have likely been allocated to more popular sets. And the new movie didn't come out until a week before Christmas, so from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense that it would be lower priority than any number of other sets.

The Smaug maxifigure is amazing and should carry this set. I've never seen the Horntail in real life so I can't make an educated comparison, but next to the dragon maxifigure from Dragon Mountain (70403) the Smaug maxifig is far superior. The folding wings are very cool.

Looking at pictures of the Horntail, I'd say hands down Smaug is superior. HP is popular, but you'd be hard-pressed to make a case that the Horntail has better name recognition than Smaug. The more I think about it, the better I like TLM as an investment solely based on Smaug. I'll be looking to pick up as many as I can find, and if the set does sell poorly and/or retires early all the better.

• 2 weeks later...