79018 - The Lonely Mountain

Discounted or not, many of you will be sorry when this set retires and you don't own one.

then they will be forced to listen to this as punishment LOL.

on a serious note, this set is pretty awesome.  I originally wanted it for Smaug like everyone else then built the set with my daughter and it really is a cool set.  

Made me like it a lot more than originally.  It is hard to find comparative with other sets and does represent more of an exclusive set / availability wise than a lot of other sets out there like other members stated.

At close to a $100 it should do well. 

Agreed, even at full price it`s certainly a good buy in the long run. I`d love some at $83 like someone else mentioned, but of course we can`t get them that low here, doubtfully. Wasn`t able to hit up my nearest Lego store for 20%, but would have picked up at some. For those doubting this one, you only need look at similar examples (I would compare to Queen Anne`s Revenge or Black Pearl), because this is the flagship set of the Hobbit theme, even more so than Unexpected Gathering, and there is absolutely less stock of this set available than UG. That should be pretty clear given the availability. 

When it retires, obviously I don`t know, but I would not want to have none at all, that`s silly. If you`re going to buy lots of Modulars, spend a little bit less on a couple of these. You`re not going to regret doing so, you will regret not having any in due time. 

It's certainly possible for this to be the next Black Pearl, but it also might not be -- it's a gamble, that's all I'm saying. And personally, I'd be more comfortable betting on a large boat than a single maxifig to carry my investment but that's just me.

I am betting on supply and demand + uniqueness more than anything. If we were having this conversation in another year and a half, I would be buying a few but not singing this set's praises nearly as much.

Investors in Lonely Mountain will profit from the relatively poor execution of the entire franchise by Lego in general. That's the big picture!

• Like 4

First of all, you can't lump LOTR and Hobbit fans together. I was a HUGE LOTR fan. I saw all three of the movies at midnight shows on the the eve of opening day. LOTR was a global phenomenom. The third film of the trilogy swept the Oscars that year. The Hobbit was a completely different story. My summarization would be, beloved children's book stretched out into three overbloated pieces of fan fiction. I can name 20 friends that were huge into LOTR. My parents were into it. My sister, who normally hates fantasy was all about it. I can't name a single friend or acquaintance that cared for the Hobbit films. I think a Lego set based on a licensed property needs fans to appreciate at a good rate. This is not Harry Potter. I don't even think Diagon Alley is at $500 yet. Good grief.

• Like 2

Birdman swept the Oscars and that was like watching paint dry more then the hobbit and lotr.

Name all 20 friends. :)

MO one is saying this will be at 500.....but I think it'll be at 220 immediately and on 100 bucks for those who want a qfll/long term hold, this set is that hybrid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by hxckid88

Dang, when I fired this old thread up I didn't think it would be so popular. I have one and we built it. Sucks being banned and having no lego stores. I think amazon will become my best friend on this one. I am not expecting discounts on it unless lego.com slashes it while it is actually in stock. A great set.

First of all, you can't lump LOTR and Hobbit fans together. I was a HUGE LOTR fan. I saw all three of the movies at midnight shows on the the eve of opening day. LOTR was a global phenomenom. The third film of the trilogy swept the Oscars that year. The Hobbit was a completely different story. My summarization would be, beloved children's book stretched out into three overbloated pieces of fan fiction. I can name 20 friends that were huge into LOTR. My parents were into it. My sister, who normally hates fantasy was all about it. I can't name a single friend or acquaintance that cared for the Hobbit films. I think a Lego set based on a licensed property needs fans to appreciate at a good rate. This is not Harry Potter. I don't even think Diagon Alley is at $500 yet. Good grief.

And yet the Hobbit trilogy did a higher box office gross than LOTR trilogy...

• Like 3

And yet the Hobbit trilogy did a higher box office gross than LOTR trilogy...

3D, HFR, maturation of the international market, 15 years of inflation, decline of civilization... all factors in this. I blame 50 shades of gray.

Edited by pete411
  • Like 4

Still made a crap ton of money. I am a LOTR and Hobbit fan and wasn't exactly thrilled by BOFA, but I don't think the studio or Peter Jackson care much what we think now since they've got their dragon's hoard of moolah. But I guess that's getting a little off topic.

First of all, you can't imagine that the rest of the world must think the way you do. Many an investor's folly has started with the inability to grasp that simple concept.

I fully agree that the LotR trilogy was superior in most every way, as were the books. But that has only a slight effect on this set's potential. There is far less of a gap between Hobbit and LotR fans than OT / Prequel Star Wars fans, for instance.

And if you truly can't name a single friend or acquaintance that cared for the Hobbit films, I imagine you either haven't discussed it with them, or have a VERY strange group, to hold LotR movies in such high regard but show nothing but disdain for The Hobbit.  Perhaps it was just an exaggeration...

People who like LotR but don't like The Hobbit probably fall into one of two camps: they are either book purists and can't take the bloated nature of the films, or they are simply trying to compare it to the LotR trilogy.

It certainly is not Harry Potter. No idea where that comment came from. Both franchises have huge fan bases, arguably the biggest in the "sci-fi" genre after Star Wars / Star Trek. Personally I can't really stand HP, but I respect the investment value of those sets as well as the fan base. It just isn't for me.

Now think hard - if The Hobbit had been released prior to LotR in theatres, would it have gathered much of that initial acclaim? And would LotR have swept the Oscars being "another" follow-on fantasy trilogy? There is certainly a difference in quality, but timing is a huge factor in this situation as well.

By and large, LotR fans ARE Hobbit fans, and vice versa. We aren't yet in a society that has forgotten literature. I am willing to bet that well over 9 out of 10 people who ultimately choose NOT to buy The Lonely Mountain do so for a reason OTHER than not liking the films.

Edited by Grynn

I'm also sure that Amazon and TRU has a load of these to get rid of as well, and we all know how well TRU can keep a set on life support. I still see some green box Star Wars and LOTR trilogy sets at most of the stores that I visit. Amazon also has to sell out of their stock, which means some of the normals out there will have to be willing to shell out full retail price for this set. Amazon's new directive is to not lower their prices unless a competitor blinks first, They have miles and miles of warehouse space to accommodate this.

I'm not saying that there's no hope. This set can reach $200 with some luck in a couple of years. Anything above that is highly unlikely. With that, I'll leave this discussion. Thank you all for the fun discussion.

• Like 1

TRU has killed many an investment with their endless warehouse fun, but really a few good sales should do it. Hopefully there's a 20% off LOTR/Hobbit sale and amazon matches prices. Rinse and repeat that a few times throughout the year and its gone by xmas. Once amazon is oos things will speed up quite a bit imo. 

always remember folks ... its just not "how high can a set like this, or any for the matter, go" but what kind of ROI are you looking for or comfortable with ... if youre not one to forsee a $250+ EOL future for this set how about a $200? or a $180? if youre goal ROI is 75% or less your expectations are not as high but nontheless meet your ROI so you sell ...

at $104 buy in this will be a good start ... if you dont believe in this set just buy it and sell it off when youre comfortable ... after all, youre in this game to fulfill your expected ROI, not anyone elses ...

• Like 1

Everyone hating on it will be f5ing it when it is on it's way out.

Really, there should be no hate for this set. Awesome character. Awesome maxifigure. The set itself is solid with some unique colors and parts. My only issue is finding it at a discount, which I haven't yet. But that hasn't stopped me from buying at full MSRP. I fear this set might just disappear before seeing too many discounts.
  • Like 3