Monster Fighters - general discussion

BudWiser72

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see a huge demand for monster fighters but that won't stop me from picking up the hearse. With lord of the rings and superheroes out those would be stronger investments.

I like the Haunted Mansion and Train. Cute sets, but I just don't have the money to buy them all, so I might have to pass on these.

I think there are a couple of sets that have good investment potential. The theme reminds me of the old ghostbusters cartoon (fake one) and the movie monster squad. The sets that I think have investment potential are the ghost train and any sets with zombies in them. Everyone loves zombies. I will probably end up picking up a couple on sale.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking about picking a couple of the sets up. We have seen that seasonal stuff appreciates nicely and I thought this might affect the monster fighters theme. Even though the theme is not really seasonal, the sets go right along with Halloween. As someone who loves Halloween, I think these would look cool displayed for that holiday. What does the community think of the line? Potential profit? What sets to target (other than the haunted house)?

The Haunted House is a classic set in the making. The Ghost Train is great also. I do see some similarities to other Holiday sets.

I can tell you that my wife just saw the LEGO catalog that just came in the mail with the Haunted House on the cover and can't wait to build it for our foyer halloween display. Ghost train took me by surprise at $80, but its 740 pieces and looks unique. Swamp Creature is awesome for $7.00. I really hope they continue with it. I can see people setting up some fantastic Scary Town displays.

I love the Monster Fighters series! When I first saw these the thought that came to mind was the movie "Monster Squad" and I loved that! Hmm... They aren't seasonal though they are perfect for Halloween and collectors of all things spooky. They're more classic b-list horror movie based which makes them collectible by those kind of fans as well. The Haunted House set is REALLY cool but wicked expensive. It's just like the Addams Family House! I think just from aesthetics alone this is gonna be a big time seller. The Ghost Train is pretty cool too mostly cause of the ghosts. My personal favorites are The Vampyre Hearse and The Swamp Creature. I want to get The Zombies set myself but every time I go to Target it's never there, dang it. Probably have to order it online from Lego since Target's website says it's only "available in store". It's not surprising it sold out so quick I just wonder why only that set and nothing else really. (Guess people really love them zombies, heh.) Take that back, The Ghost Train seems to be selling well, too. (At least on the Lego site anyway.)

Awesome theme! Only theme besides star wars of course to catch my eye!! Great for Halloween. Hopefully gonna pick up a haunted house in a few days, if I can find one somewhere besides TRU........I dont buy sets there because of the markup. This is a cool bundle wish it had the HH! http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Monster-Fighters-Collection-5001133

Awesome theme! Only theme besides star wars of course to catch my eye!! Great for Halloween. Hopefully gonna pick up a haunted house in a few days, if I can find one somewhere besides TRU........I dont buy sets there because of the markup. This is a cool bundle wish it had the HH!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Monster-Fighters-Collection-5001133

Man that's a nice lot that I'd love to have! And yes I too think Monster Fighters is an awesome theme, and the Haunted House alone looks to be both one amazing build as well as an awesome investment so pick up multiples people just don't forget to build at least one :)

I can tell you that my wife just saw the LEGO catalog that just came in the mail with the Haunted House on the cover and can't wait to build it for our foyer halloween display.

Same here. She said "Buy it!" I ordered it Wednesday night and it arrived this afternoon.

My 6 y/o daughter is jumping out of her skin to build it.

The wife wants to make it a centerpiece for the yearly Halloween display.

• 4 weeks later...

I really want the Haunted House, but that price tag is just too scary.

Same here. I would trade all the other MONSTER FIGHTERS sets I have just for that one.

Well...almost. But yeah, that $180 price tag is enough to give you a heartattack!

I can imagine the scene where I'm sitting in a recliner, watching TV.

Then my kid comes in saying, "Hey, dad! There's this REALLY cool Haunted House LEGO set! Can I get it, please?!"

I respond, "Umm, how much is it?"

"About 180 dollars."

*COUGH!* *HACK!* "IT'S HOW MUCH?!!!"

Regardless, it's still pretty awesome and, if given the chance, would buy it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, I do not think the price will go down anytime soon (if at all).

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this theme. I have only picked up a few of the sets s far (mummy, zombies & ghost train), but am definitely thinking about picking up the rest. At first I was only going to get the Haunted House, which I definitely believe will be an awesome investment, but now I'm thinking the whole theme might be great also.....

Everyone thinks the Haunted House is great, I think it is the best set of 2012. But, that is a problem, especially as it is available in retail outlets like Amazon and looks to be around for a while. If everyone agrees a set will be a great investment then everyone will buy multiples which might flood the market keeping the price down. Difficult to predict! I think the big winner so far is The Zombies as it has been the most difficult to find and I'm guessing, without looking them up, that it has the highest return so far. It is possible some of the smaller sets have a higher return like the ghost and clock. Smaller sets in general seem to have quicker payback and higher returns likely because they sell out quickly and even if they double or more there is a bigger buyer's market than there is for a $100 or $200 set. But, there is more time involved in making the same amount of money as one large set that does well.