10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

How I solve the issue of not wanting to open a MISB LEGO set...Buy a "used" set...so I don't feel guilty and get a discount.

A lot of times, it costs just as much as a new set, considering SSD is on discount now.

Or worse, missing parts >_<

I heavily modified my used QAR as there were so many missing parts.

A lot of times, it costs just as much as a new set, considering SSD is on discount now.

Or worse, missing parts >_

I heavily modified my used QAR as there were so many missing parts.

I try to buy sets on the cheap. No box. Instructions in rough shape. But complete. Works out "most" of the time.

Interesting comments.....to build or not to build. Only solution is to obtain two sets of the 10221. One to place into safe storage (MISBISS?). Then I'd fully recommend going the 'used' route in order to build this wee beastie. Good satisfaction from the build, but as per usual, it is over so quickly. Displays excellently, and due to a reasonable 'width' will fit on most shelves, etc, without seriously invading space....LOL. The only issue I have with this model is the rather lame and uninspiring underside. Considering it is a UCS model, it should be better.

A used set eh...never thought of that. It would take care of the pang of sadness and regret that we all feel when we cut that seal. But there is also something satisfying to be the first person to handle all the parts. That is very interesting to learn that the manual for this set is a giant book that comes in its own box. I don't think anybody is weird for loving manuals or keeping them in pristine condition. It is part of a LEGO set after all, and deserves the same consideration as the bricks themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Incidentally...does anybody have a photo of the underside of this LEGO behemoth? The "Belly of the Beast" if you will? :) Couldn't help it.

Google will find you lots of pics. While you're at it also YouTube or Google the SSD MOC by Setechnic. After seeing the underside of his creation, I almost got permanently turned off by Lego's version....I have yet to decide to get the SSD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I say get one while you can especially if you can order from amazon.com unlike us poor fools in Europe :) It's big, it's SW, it looks great. If you don't pick up at least one I can tell you that you will regret it once it's EOL and you'll only be able to get one for twice the current price!

I say get one while you can especially if you can order from amazon.com unlike us poor fools in Europe :)

It's big, it's SW, it looks great. If you don't pick up at least one I can tell you that you will regret it once it's EOL and you'll only be able to get one for twice the current price!

yeah I really don't know why I ask these questions because I know I will eventually pick them both up.

I just recently purchased two of these sets from Amazon. My question is if the corners are slightly damaged will that affect the price of it? I attached four pictures of the damage. Thank you for answering!

Mark

The answer is yes, it might lower the price a bit....but....not enough for you to waste your time and send it back to Amazon. There is no telling what you will get in return. I know when I have sets with similar damage, a black, blue or dark gray magic marker helps hide that sort of shelf wear. A dab here and there does wonders.

I agree with Ed. It wouldn't be worth the hassle of sending it back. Now if there was a hole in it or it was smashed a bit then I would consider sending it back. I just got my superstar destroyer from amazon and it was in very good condition. A little edge wear like yours on one corner but not enough to worry me.

A little wear on any LEGO box is going to happen. Whether we bought it directly off the shelf from a retailer, or had it shipped direct from LEGO Shop at Home. It is always referable to receive any LEGO set in the original LEGO shipping box - particularly for the larger sets. For that matter, any sets. Set damage in the form of dented or torn corners will always degrade from the product, but the slight damage that you display in the pictures should not, in my opinion, detract too much from the value of your investment. And who knows what you may receive back if you were to return this one when you request a replacement....

I do though state that use of a marker pen, or similar effort, to enhance the product described could well be misleading to any potnetial buyer if you chose to advertise and sell any LEGO set. Always advertise the set as it is. Include photos and let the buying public decide if the set is damaged and ultimately what they will pay for it.

A little wear on any LEGO box is going to happen. Whether we bought it directly off the shelf from a retailer, or had it shipped direct from S@H. It is always referable to receive any LEGO set in the original LEGO shipping box - particularly for the larger sets. For that matter, any sets. Set damage in the form of dented or torn corners will always degrade from the product, but the slight damage that you display in the pictures should not, in my opinion, detract too much from the value of your investment. And who knows what you may receive back if you were to return this one when you request a replacement....

I do though state that use of a marker pen, or similar effort, to enhance the product described could well be misleading to any potnetial buyer if you chose to advertise and sell any LEGO set. Always advertise the set as it is. Include photos and let the buying public decide if the set is damaged and ultimately what they will pay for it.

LOL...Listen to BuildIt...I'm not telling you to color in entire boxes, but a black marker on the tips of black boxes does a nice job of hiding some shelf wear. ;-) If you note in the description, minor shelf wear, you should be covered as BuildIt stated. Shelf wear is a fact of life with LEGO boxes.. You really need to cover each box in a non stick shrink wrap to protect it and even then it can be creased or crushed.

In your case it will only have limited effect on your price. When you sell your expensive item, say 10179 from secondary markets, lot of time you are only compete with certain other sellers in a limited time window. If you have patience, you can always wait and sell same price to the buyers who don't care the damage. Those tiny damage can be produced during the shipping process even you sent out a perfect box anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, new member here. Does anyone know the bag count for this set? there is one set on Ebay that is sold "as is" and has pictures of all the bags included, but the seller states he does not know if there are any missing. If any of you out here have the set I was wondering if you remembered or know how many of each bag should be there. Thanks!!