10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I wish I was because I have never bought a non Lego item.

Look at the items sold filter for 10221 in EU over last 90 days and the picture is very clear about what is selling and how much people care about the origins. More than half the listings are NOT real 10221. We could add the ones that don´t directly mention Lego 10221 in the title.

http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3&_nkw=lego 10221&LH_PrefLoc=3&_dcat=18998&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=100&_udhi

Northern European sellers are selling the original but guess where all the fakes are coming from.

Jeff is going to have more and more work on his hands to filter out all the crap from the price guide.

Edited by Val-E

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I wish I was because I have never bought a non Lego item.

Look at the items sold filter for 10221 in EU over last 90 days and the picture is very clear about what is selling and how much people care about the origins. More than half the listings are NOT real 10221. We could add the ones that don´t directly mention Lego 10221 in the title.

http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3&_nkw=lego 10221&LH_PrefLoc=3&_dcat=18998&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=100&_udhi

Northern European sellers are selling the original but guess where all the fakes are coming from.

Jeff is going to have more and more work on his hands to filter out all the crap from the price guide.

You were making a blanket statement about members of this site in that many don't care about the product or where it comes from, they just care about price.  This is false IMO.  They looks for good deals...yes.  Will most settle for counterfeits if the real deal is out of price range?  I sure hope not, or all of us (LEGO included) are in trouble. I understand what you are trying to say, but I am praying there are enough people who care about buying legitimate products on this site to keep counterfeit damage to a minimum.  By constantly referring them as "clones" though, people are giving them a legitimacy they do not deserve.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

That´s not what I meant, Ed. By "here", I meant construction toy buyers in my country and that is a way bigger problem for me  than what BP members think or do :(

Sorry to hear that.  We are on the same team.  It sucks that we have to deal with it at all, but there will always be a portion of the population who will settle for less.  We not only have to battle the counterfeiters, but the knuckleheads who support them.

Hid a few posts.  Sorry.  Don't want to promote that crap or the scammers selling it.  Report the listing to eBay.  I don't know if that would do anything, because most of the time you have to buy the item to leave an effective negative comment or have an effect on the seller.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, Ed Mack said:

You were making a blanket statement about members of this site in that many don't care about the product or where it comes from, they just care about price.  This is false IMO.  They looks for good deals...yes.  Will most settle for counterfeits if the real deal is out of price range?  I sure hope not, or all of us (LEGO included) are in trouble. I understand what you are trying to say, but I am praying there are enough people who care about buying legitimate products on this site to keep counterfeit damage to a minimum.  By constantly referring them as "clones" though, people are giving them a legitimacy they do not deserve.  

I agree of course.  But I do wonder how much the brickpicker price guide may be picking up counterfeit listings and so overstating price declines among the genuine articles.  Especially for the bolder counterfeit sellers who put "Lego" in the title and list in the Lego category.  Genuine copies of 10221 seem to have dropped in value by about 5% in the past year, but obviously if you average in fakes selling at ~$200, the price drop will look much worse.  That could produce a feedback loop, wherein investors note the steep price decline in the price guide and decide the time to get out is now, before the price drops further, thus making an illusory price decline real.

• 5 weeks later...

I think the $1k ceiling will be difficult to break going forward but if any set has a chance, this is it. Too many sellers out there though with 65 on Amazon alone. I'm sure many were holding out for that elusive $1k sale ... which tanked the price. Same thing happened to HH when it approached $500.

Hate to say it, but the fakes can't be helping this set either I know the price spread is significant but that's the reality we live in.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I think the $1k ceiling will be difficult to break going forward but if any set has a chance, this is it. Too many sellers out there though with 65 on Amazon alone. I'm sure many were holding out for that elusive $1k sale ... which tanked the price. Same thing happened to HH when it approached $500.

Hate to say it, but the fakes can't be helping this set either emoji20.png I know the price spread is significant but that's the reality we live in.

I can't like this post but it's correct because fakes have really depressed the value of rare sets.

The fake my not be the cause but they certainly are a contributing factor. I sold a couple of Lego SW sets to a guy the other day who was telling me about his collection and that he had got a Chinese SSD and  that it was just the same as the real stuff but left him 700 euros spare to buy other sets. Glass half full, I sold him 2 sets that he wouldn´t have been able to afford otherwise. Glass half empty, I missed out on an SSD sale.

true-story-neil-patrick-harris.png

The fakes are not the problem(and stopping them won't solve things), but at least people have something to blame.
The market changes go well beyond the sets/minifigs that have been faked.

It's not THE problem but it's a contributing factor. I still have confidence that the value will rebound but it will take longer.

that's true, whenever you play any of the chineese knockoff of the exclusive and expensive set review you'll always hear exact same excuse. which means that they love LEGO but they just cant effort to buy 1000USD sets from (quote) "greedy sellers on ebay or amazon". those are videos with the most thumbs up'. and we are not talking about poor kids or so, there is one guy in particular known for his famous SSD review which has entire room filled with LEGO UCS exclusives from past decade still praising L3p1n SSD construction for the quality and most important price per piece ratio.

19 minutes ago, Shewie said:

that's true, whenever you play any of the chineese knockoff of the exclusive and expensive set review you'll always hear exact same excuse. which means that they love LEGO but they just cant effort to buy 1000USD sets from (quote) "greedy sellers on ebay or amazon". those are videos with the most thumbs up'. and we are not talking about poor kids or so, there is one guy in particular known for his famous SSD review which has entire room filled with LEGO UCS exclusives from past decade still praising L3p1n SSD construction for the quality and most important price per piece ratio.

I just witnessed an entire AFOL FB post with 50+ comments about people buying counterfeits. There seem to be 2 main reasons:

1. "We're sticking it to the greedy resellers"

2. "LEGO is not making this anymore so it's anyone's game".

I do think attitudes vary between Europe and the US. Or at least that's what I've perceived. In Europe it's almost a badge of honor to download your movies and tv-series for free from pirate sites. I haven't heard this as much in the US. Must be the same reasoning .....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Long-time lurker here, and first post, so please be gentle. ? I have an opportunity to get what is being advertised as a new, sealed 10221 at a very attractive price. I asked for a picture to confirm what I'm buying and got this. It looks like the box opens the wrong way, so I'm concerned that it may be a fake. I've asked for additional pictures, which the seller has promised to send, but has not done so yet. Any advice from all of you veterans out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0132.JPG

9 minutes ago, Chormeister said:

Long-time lurker here, and first post, so please be gentle. 1f601.png I have an opportunity to get what is being advertised as a new, sealed 10221 at a very attractive price. I asked for a picture to confirm what I'm buying and got this. It looks like the box opens the wrong way, so I'm concerned that it may be a fake. I've asked for additional pictures, which the seller has promised to send, but has not done so yet. Any advice from all of you veterans out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0132.JPG

The box opening "the wrong way" might just be because the owner folded the inner flap over the outer flap. In terms of fakes, you need to be carefully inspecting the bricks - they have to have "LEGO" logos on them. I'm not aware of any fakes yet that also copy the box art - they typically have custom box art, and people who try to sell you one as a real one will likely omit the box for that reason. You want to do a thorough brick inspection, because they could be passing on a mixed set (some real LEGO, some clone). However, from the looks of it, and the fact that it does have the box, I think you might have found a good deal.

13 minutes ago, Chormeister said:

Long-time lurker here, and first post, so please be gentle. 1f601.png I have an opportunity to get what is being advertised as a new, sealed 10221 at a very attractive price. I asked for a picture to confirm what I'm buying and got this. It looks like the box opens the wrong way, so I'm concerned that it may be a fake. I've asked for additional pictures, which the seller has promised to send, but has not done so yet. Any advice from all of you veterans out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you can't see it in person or obtain some "real" pics, stay away.

• Like 1

Unless Chormeister is in Portugal, I would guess someone is trying to scam him over the internet with someone else's picture. 

Also he mentioned the seller claims it's new/sealed, which it clearly is not.

Edited by pzyluke
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, pzyluke said:

Unless Chormeister is in Portugal, I would guess someone is trying to scam him over the internet with someone else's picture. 

Also he mentioned the seller claims it's new/sealed, which it clearly is not.

Nope, not in Portugal. The buyer claims to be in North Carolina, USA. That does, indeed, look like the same picture. Thanks for the heads-up! BTW, just checked the listing again and it is already gone (purchased?). I sent the buyer another email, but still no response. I hope I didn't miss out on a great deal, but it just seemed too good to be true. I was looking for a new SSD for my personal collection and got all excited for a minute. Oh well. Thanks everybody!

Edit: the seller took the item listing down to reserve it for me. Still waiting on additional pictures...

Edited by Chormeister
Update