10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's a real shame that the SSD has dropped in value along with a lot of other sets. It's easy to blame the knock-offs, but Amazon and eBay scammers seem to be out in force these days and the level of trust has fallen. I'd love to sell the 2 spare SSDs that I have (I'm building the 3rd), but there's no way that I'll use Amazon or eBay. If somebody here genuinely wants one, please send me a PM. Sorry, it's directed at UK members only as I'd like cash on collection - both are mint from LEGO direct. I know I'll get more for them on eBay but, I no longer trust that site for high value items and can't deal with the hassle of chasing PayPal for weeks to get funds released.

A diehard Star Wars collector and completionist will happily pay the going price for a genuine 10221 SSD.

Perhaps we should have a poll? I think scammers are a much bigger problem than knockoffs.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's a real shame that the SSD has dropped in value along with a lot of other sets. It's easy to blame the knock-offs, but Amazon and eBay scammers seem to be out in force these days and the level of trust has fallen. I'd love to sell the 2 spare SSDs that I have (I'm building the 3rd), but there's no way that I'll use Amazon or eBay. If somebody here genuinely wants one, please send me a PM. Sorry, it's directed at UK members only as I'd like cash on collection - both are mint from LEGO direct. I know I'll get more for them on eBay but, I no longer trust that site for high value items and can't deal with the hassle of chasing PayPal for weeks to get funds released.

A diehard Star Wars collector and completionist will happily pay the going price for a genuine 10221 SSD.

Perhaps we should have a poll? I think scammers are a much bigger problem than knockoffs.

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I can say that as a newer Lego collector who has read a lot on this (and other) websites, that I am extremely wary of purchasing high-value sets from online sellers other than direct from Lego/Amazon/etc. I know that there are honest folks out there who invest in Lego to make a profit, and I have absolutely no problem with that. It makes it harder to get into collecting, sure, but I understand why the market is there. But when it comes to plunking down almost $1,000 US, I need to be wary for my own sake as a consumer. I'm ok with paying the "going rate" (although a "great deal" is better ?), but not when I am in danger of receiving a fraudulent product.

Could be the Portuguese one is the scammer but it does  seem to be the exact same box.

Ask the seller to send photos with their name on a card folded around the box or something else that can´t be photoshopped easily.

Edited by Val-E

• 4 months later...

I never thought I'd see this direction on this chart for this set.

We can debate about the causes (there are many), but I really can't believe this thing is worth 120 bucks LESS this year than last.

The Thousand Dollar threshold seemed like an inevitability a year ago, and now it seems out-of-reach.

Darn you, scammers, counterfitters, bubble-in-general, psychological barriers, fear-of-a-remake, etc.

Darn you all to heck.

10221Value.jpg

Edited by mudcatsfan

2 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

I never thought I'd see this direction on this chart for this set.

We can debate about the causes (there are many), but I really can't believe this thing is worth 120 bucks LESS this year than last.

The Thousand Dollar threshold seemed like an inevitability a year ago, and now it seems out-of-reach.

Darn you, scammers, counterfitters, bubble-in-general, psychological barriers, fear-of-a-remake, etc.

Darn you all to heck.

Check almost any long retired exclusive's price chart over the last 12 months and you'll see a 20-25% decrease in value in both new and used sets.  It's also consistent across all themes.

I think that the knockoffs have hurt this set.

Also, I think there is general Lego fatigue that has affected the values of many recently retired exclusives.

This may not be a popular opinion, but IMO there is nowhere to go but down now.  I had 7 or 8 of these and sold some at $1000ish to get down to 3 left.  I just sold one for $839 on ebay.  I am selling one more at that price and keeping the last one to build some day.  I will be happy to get out now before the price drops further.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, JDLego324 said:

Also, I think there is general Lego fatigue that has affected the values of many recently retired exclusives.

I don't believe the counterfeits are the main reason for the decline. I heavily believe Lego fans are more weary of re-releases hurting such an investment. I personally would have a hard time buying something knowing there is a pretty good chance a lazy tactful re release could crush the value of the item I just spent a ton of money on.

Maybe in a couple of years when the new star wars movies are done and there is a lull for people to reflect these sets will take off. I'm saving the one I have as a memento of beginning of my online selling career(?) business(?) experience(?).

Guest TabbyBoy

Buyers are simply becoming more savvy which I think is why prices are dropping. I think holding onto an SSD now is futile. I sold my last 2 on here for £500 each which I think is a good going rate. There's no way that I'd risk being scammed on eBay to get a little more after fees. It's obvious to me, it's now a timing game, not a waiting game. As soon as I make a decent profit on something, out the door it goes! Don't get too greedy, you'll get burned or stuck it with it.

The counterfeits have hurt this set disproportionately more then others. If you look at sold listings on eBay for Super Star Destroyer (yes you can search by "lego 10221 USA only" but not sure your average buyer does this) only 1 of the last 12 sold are lego. BL looks like an average of 2 sold new units in the USA per month this year.

If you look at direct sales of Sold units of the leading counterfeit brand from the number one selling store the SSD has almost 50% more sales then the next UCS model which is the MF. With over 700 units sold by just the top 3 sellers someone is buying them. You can say that true AFOLs would never buy counterfeits, but what I think it has done to their mindset is decrease the urgency to buy before the set dries up and/or the price gets too high so the sets sits and prices fall. 

Add to that the overproduction of SW sets and remakes and who would want to drop a grand on one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, landphieran said:

Maybe in a couple of years when the new star wars movies are done and there is a lull for people to reflect these sets will take off. I'm saving the one I have as a memento of beginning of my online selling career(?) business(?) experience(?).

Disney will not allow for a lull in SW demand.  There will be one new movie per year for a long, long time.  They've barely even rolled out new tv content yet (kids' animated, YA series, series for grown-ups, prestige TV, etc., etc.).  There will be no lull.  Only over-saturation...

36 minutes ago, thedingman5 said:

Disney will not allow for a lull in SW demand.  There will be one new movie per year for a long, long time.  They've barely even rolled out new tv content yet (kids' animated, YA series, series for grown-ups, prestige TV, etc., etc.).  There will be no lull.  Only over-saturation...

Besides the knockoffs and possibility of remakes, I think the over-saturation angle is the biggest negative for all STAR WARS collectibles.  If you told me that 5 years ago, I would have said you were nuts.  But how much STAR WARS crap do people need?  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Besides the knockoffs and possibility of remakes, I think the over-saturation angle is the biggest negative for all STAR WARS collectibles.  If you told me that 5 years ago, I would have said you were nuts.  But how much STAR WARS crap do people need?  

abef9a0d4b888cac12adaf81804fd35b--funny-shit-funny-stuff.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, thedingman5 said:

Disney will probably be the demise of Hasbro, unless they start subsidizing production and distribution costs.

• Like 1

The LEGO Buzz is just over.

For years, LEGO couldn't keep up with the required supply, and now that they have the ability to create the necessary supply (for a demand that is no longer there), they can't stop.

Add to that the remakes, or even just the threat of the inevitable remake (since nothing is safe), and the counterfeits (even though I don't believe that the serious buyers buy them), there are certainly lots of resellers being scared into selling their inventory early (which inevitably weighs down on performance).

• Like 4

yes there is saturation but for a multi billion dollar investment I do not blame them and I still will go opening day to every film

there is plenty of other films coming for star wars characters but there is going to be according to reports a break after episode ix for the trilogy sets

you can read up here and here

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-sequels-spinoffs-tv-shows/

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/do-not-post-lucasfilms-post-star-wars-episode-ix-plans.html

2 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

yes there is saturation but for a multi billion dollar investment I do not blame them and I still will go opening day to every film

there is plenty of other films coming for star wars characters but there is going to be according to reports a break after episode ix for the trilogy sets

you can read up here and here

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-sequels-spinoffs-tv-shows/

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/do-not-post-lucasfilms-post-star-wars-episode-ix-plans.html

I'm not saying the movies won't do well or that I'm done buying STAR WARS stuff, but the STAR WARS "buzz" is wearing off.  Might as well milk the cow until it gets chopped up for hot dogs.  

Just now, Ed Mack said:

I'm not saying the movies won't do well or that I'm done buying STAR WARS stuff, but the STAR WARS "buzz" is wearing off.  Might as well milk the cow until it gets chopped up for hot dogs.  

agree completely

it is both fun and distressing all at the same time

like being told you can have a banana split from baskin robbins but you have to have one every day 365 days a year for breakfast lunch and dinner and nothing else

• Like 1