My 10179 UCS Falcon Wall Mounted

Sandwraith

I'm amazed that the set itself can hold its own weight like that.  That set is very heavy(for Lego) and you would think eventually something in the technic frame would fail and the whole thing come down.  I sold mine because I couldn't find display space and this is a great alternative.  The LED's look great, too.

I'm amazed that the set itself can hold its own weight like that.  That set is very heavy(for Lego) and you would think eventually something in the technic frame would fail and the whole thing come down.  I sold mine because I couldn't find display space and this is a great alternative.  The LED's look great, too.

That's amazing! I have seen pictures and videos of people doing something similar to this, but I never thought it would work. I can see that it works, but I would still be afraid of coming home one day and seeing the MF on the floor in thousands of pieces.

The Technic frame is surprisingly durable. I put it through a couple stress tests and did find some pressure points where things caved. Currently though the 2 points i have on the frame resting on L brackets didn't cause any issues. Except for some of the LEGO sections coming off as the frame does bend a bit, which kncks some studs out of place. Some lift-arms and rubber bands fixed that though (bands visible in the last picture).

Still watching it like a hawk though  :help:

Great work!  Love it!

I had the idea to do this as well a couple of years ago after seeing similar pics.  Was going to mount it above our tv.  Never went through with it and then got rid of the 10179 to free up some investing cash.  I still look at the space on my wall and wish a 10179 was up there!

• 1 month later...

Little update to this:

Recently I've acquired a mostly in tact 10030 (Star Destroyer) that i intend to also wall mount, but not together as the scale is obviously way off and will make the ISD look wimpy next to the 10179. I plan to use the same method, and use the bottom hanger bay to shove a TV mount in. I had been debating giving the SSD this treatment, but i'm just not a huge fan of that set compared to this beauty.

Picked this up from a guy who bought these from a garage sale for a great price. It included the unused sticker, great condition box, and decent shape manual. Weighing the set brings it to about 75% complete, and i was sure to check for the parts that go for crazy amounts before making the deal haha. He also threw in the second make of the MF, it looks to be incomplete as well, and i really shouldn't have taken it as it will just collect dust until the end of time >< Not worth my time to part back together.

I am still unsure what i'm missing, but it looks to be all easy/cheap pieces. I have all the rare parts accounted for, so now i just have to start building it and recording what i'm missing. Already got multiple BL orders pending.

It will probably be a few months, but i'll be sure to get pics up when done :)

Little update to this:

Recently I've acquired a mostly in tact 10030 (Star Destroyer) that i intend to also wall mount, but not together as the scale is obviously way off and will make the ISD look wimpy next to the 10179. I plan to use the same method, and use the bottom hanger bay to shove a TV mount in. I had been debating giving the SSD this treatment, but i'm just not a huge fan of that set compared to this beauty.

Picked this up from a guy who bought these from a garage sale for a great price. It included the unused sticker, great condition box, and decent shape manual. Weighing the set brings it to about 75% complete, and i was sure to check for the parts that go for crazy amounts before making the deal haha. He also threw in the second make of the MF, it looks to be incomplete as well, and i really shouldn't have taken it as it will just collect dust until the end of time >< Not worth my time to part back together.

I am still unsure what i'm missing, but it looks to be all easy/cheap pieces. I have all the rare parts accounted for, so now i just have to start building it and recording what i'm missing. Already got multiple BL orders pending.

It will probably be a few months, but i'll be sure to get pics up when done :)

You barely beat me to that one.  The price was crazy low.  I was sad for the day, but glad a fellow BP got it :)

• 2 months later...

So i finally finished my 10030, but ended up not making it %100 authentic. Some of the original light gray pieces and rare pieces not included in the bulk buy were just getting so expensive and i wasn't sure i wanted to throw too much money at this given it was looking like it would take a lot of work to wall mount. 

After many weeks of tinkering and testing i have determined it just won't really work or look good mounted vertically. The inner frame is not nearly as strong as the 10179, and most of it's construction will be difficult to assure it can withstand a vertical position. Many more technic beams and liftarms will be needed, and new construction to keep the large side panels on (the magnets are pretty poor). Added to that is the fact that the ship doesn't look all that great mounted vertically like the 10179. So i just finished the build with some substitute parts (mostly on the inside).

I'm really not sure if i want to keep it at this point. It takes up sooo much room. I've had it listed on kijiji for an inflated amount, but got no interest. Obviously the fact that it's not %100 authentic will do that, but i figured i'd get low-ballers! I might put it up for trade here and see if someone wants to finish where i started, or keep it for themselves! However shipping this beast from Canada to elsewhere will cost an arm and a leg.

Nonetheless the build was fun and i don't regret attempting it as this really is a beautiful set. It's just a shame it takes up so much space while on display (i wasn't entirely surprised by this though).

Anyways here are a few pics:

_201.jpg

_202.jpg

_206.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

_20.jpg

10179 still going strong :) no structural bending/warping, and no terrifying sounds of Lego crashing in the night haha.
  • Like 4

Ugh, I really miss my 10030.  It was such an awesome Christmas presents all those years ago.  I'm going to get this one day, but I just don't have the money to fork over unfortunately.  I really hope they give us a refresher of this set, like the X-wing.  It's long, long over due.

I really do like how it's mounted.  Nice work on the LED's as well.  It truly adds so much pop to the model with the engine glowing like that!