General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

I had a buyer on BL from NZ ask for a shipping quote for an Obi-Wan buildable and a Greivous buildable. What I found that seems correct was a medium flat rate box from USPS.  It was like $76. That seems high.  Any advice?  The buyer doesn't care about the original boxes. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone shipped REALLY large orders to Amazon before? I'll be moving soon and want to offload a ton of inventory rather than pack it up and unpack it. I'd rather not have to blow it out RIGHT away locally and lose out on the future increases, but that's of course an option too.

I'm talking like 20-40k of very large exclusive sets, all the way down to a bunch of SW Microfighters.

Anyone with this experience? Can i just drive a moving truck to the Amazon warehouse? :)

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, donbee said:

I need to ship 60lbs overseas. What is the cheapest, best way to ship?
USPS is my go to. Any recommendations?

Any tips for shipping large packages? Do I have to fear the bottom is going to fall out? Should I reinforce?

I shipped a package of car parts that were super heavy relatively recently as well. I found the cheapest option was to use a shipping consolidator or a package forwarding service. I used shipito (https://www.shipito.com/en/). They'll consolidate a bunch of packages headed the same direction overseas, then arrange local delivery to the last mile. This was at least 1/4 the cost of a commercial carrier when I priced things out. I can vouch for shipito, I chose it because they had a warehouse that was super close to me. Maybe this could be an option? 

• Like 1

Any tips for shipping large packages? Do I have to fear the bottom is going to fall out? Should I reinforce?

Is it LEGO or something else in nice square boxes? Or sharp edges/pressure points?

Cardboard boxes have two factors to consider - crush strength and puncture resistance. Most retailers only concern themselves with crush strength because those boxes are cheaper and weigh less.

If you're all at concerned, double box and don't skimp on the tape. Tape the edges of the flaps, tape around the middles on all sides forming a + around all sides. The box is strongest when it doesn't lose its shape!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, donbee said:

It's Lego. In original boxes.

How long does shipito take? Seems like you'd have to wait unless you're lucky.

With Shipito, I didn't have to wait long at all. It did take a few extra days (compared with UPS or FedEX), but it wasn't too bad. You'll have to read through the site further, they do unpackage the shipment, photograph it, then re-pack it (for customs). This was perfectly fine for the car parts that I sent, maybe not perfect for you? After they unpack, you can go online and view the photos. The process is pretty cool, but maybe not right in every circumstance. 

• Like 1

It's Lego. In original boxes.

I would either double box them for the minor additional cost or ship in a really good moving box from a place like Uhaul.

How you pack the LEGO boxes inside will likely be more important to their condition upon arrival. Stacking should be avoided if possible and if you need to stack to make the parcel fit your box, then consider boxing the sets on the bottom and stacking on that box.

Of course, this is all "worst case" scenario packing. I remember getting two Volvo loaders from Amazon UK and the box was all beat to hell with the corners having little rips in them.... inside were two improperly stacked boxes (stacked on top of each other rather than side by side like LEGO does) with not enough packing paper to keep them from bouncing around. I remember holding the box thinking great, these will be a hassle... nope, they were in excellent condition.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, donbee said:

A little reference for you in terms of ECT (Edge Crush Test)

https://www.theboxery.com/ect.asp

+1 to what @gregpj said. I would go with a Hvy duty box from your local HD or UHAUL. Remember when packing.....air space is your enemy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, donbee said:

I use PostPony.com (for that, you're just printing USPS labels via their site---at a significant discount compared to paypal---no additional party physically involved) and U-haul boxes. I would tape a bit extra, but no reinforcement beyond that.

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I use PostPony.com (for that, you're just printing USPS labels via their site---at a significant discount compared to paypal---no additional party physically involved) and U-haul boxes. I would tape a bit extra, but no reinforcement beyond that.

interesting site. The customer comments seem to be written in EngRish. (broken chinese english) ;-)

Edit. Just looked through the rest of the site. Obviously a Chinese originated site.

@minicoopers11 you've never had any issues with underpaid shipping?

Edited by pstebbing

8 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

interesting site. The customer comments seem to be written in EngRish. (broken chinese english) ;-)

Edit. Just looked through the rest of the site. Obviously a Chinese originated site.

@minicoopers11 you've never had any issues with underpaid shipping?

Never any issues. Yes, this is a chinese company. They have office in Portland, OR...I assume they do freight-forwarding too, but I've not looked into that.

8 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Never any issues. Yes, this is a chinese company. They have office in Portland, OR...I assume they do freight-forwarding too, but I've not looked into that.

What shipping methods do you see savings with? (USPS Parcel post, Priority, FC Int. ?)

7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Yeah, Oregon is a popular spot for this sort of thing. It's a tax-free state, so people buy (tax free) and ship to Oregon. Consolidate. Then ship to their actual address. 

Good to know.

I heard of this site once before, but never tried it.

I think I'll stick with PayPal and their seller protection for most my sales.

But for trades and stuff I'll give this a try.

Is it LEGO or something else in nice square boxes? Or sharp edges/pressure points?

Cardboard boxes have two factors to consider - crush strength and puncture resistance. Most retailers only concern themselves with crush strength because those boxes are cheaper and weigh less.

If you're all at concerned, double box and don't skimp on the tape. Tape the edges of the flaps, tape around the middles on all sides forming a + around all sides. The box is strongest when it doesn't lose its shape!

I agree. We routinely send out 60 lbs packages and we double box. (for insurance and durability purposes). Also when using tape, make sure to use long pieces that go over corners. This really helps box integrity. And get the flaps as secure as possible.
  • Like 1

When I package up a set, a boxed one, not a poly-bag one, I almost always wrap it up like a gift in plastic so it is sealed.  Not your typical plastic bags, but real Mil Plastic you get at your Home Improvement Store.  

Other than adding a little bit of weight to the shipment, any "bad things" anyone sees with this?  The reason I do it is that if it is pouring on your delivery day, I would much rather take the extra step to make sure the box inside does not get wet as we all know cardboard soaks it up.  I realize not everyone can be on their front porch waiting for delivery and in my few experiences when it has happened to me (rain.snow) the box is usually soaked and the contents inside can potentially have water damage.  

Just want to verify nothing bad can come of this before I continue this practice. It can be a pain to wrap them up tight, but just another added benefit that I hope buyers see as a good thing.  Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Like many of you do as well, I look to set the Bar High when it comes to making sure items are being properly shipped and delivered in the best possible condition.  I also wrap nearly all smaller purchases in a 2nd layer of bubble wrap within a bubble mailer.  IMO, bubble mailers do not offer enough bubble protection by themselves for our precious Lego. :) 

Edited by LegoMan1212
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 10:06 AM, LegoMan1212 said:

When I package up a set, a boxed one, not a poly-bag one, I almost always wrap it up like a gift in plastic so it is sealed.  Not your typical plastic bags, but real Mil Plastic you get at your Home Improvement Store.  

Other than adding a little bit of weight to the shipment, any "bad things" anyone sees with this?  The reason I do it is that if it is pouring on your delivery day, I would much rather take the extra step to make sure the box inside does not get wet as we all know cardboard soaks it up.  I realize not everyone can be on their front porch waiting for delivery and in my few experiences when it has happened to me (rain.snow) the box is usually soaked and the contents inside can potentially have water damage.  

Just want to verify nothing bad can come of this before I continue this practice. It can be a pain to wrap them up tight, but just another added benefit that I hope buyers see as a good thing.  Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Like many of you do as well, I look to set the Bar High when it comes to making sure items are being properly shipped and delivered in the best possible condition.  I also wrap nearly all smaller purchases in a 2nd layer of bubble wrap within a bubble mailer.  IMO, bubble mailers do not offer enough bubble protection by themselves for our precious Lego. :) 

I do a variation of this with saran (cling) wrap depending on the season and where I'm sending the box. I don't think it can hurt.

I'm with you on extra protection in bubble envelopes. I wrap in strips of cardboard before putting in the bubble mailer, which I know is overkill.

My point is, if you are looking for someone to sign off on obsessive shipping practices, Legoman I'm your guy! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, randrace said:

I do a variation of this with saran (cling) wrap depending on the season and where I'm sending the box. I don't think it can hurt.

I'm with you on extra protection in bubble envelopes. I wrap in strips of cardboard before putting in the bubble mailer, which I know is overkill.

My point is, if you are looking for someone to sign off on obsessive shipping practices, Legoman I'm your guy! 

Never thought of cling wrap, would definitely lesson the weight.  Next ebay buyer might get a little surprise :) , as i test that out if trying to make an ounce weight difference for small sets under a LB.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This post is directed at small parts sellers, shipping internationally, that like living on the edge.

I've come up with a packaging hack to get around the $13.50+ charge for international shipping.

Two caveats:
-insurance is not offered for this method.
-this method is not time tested.

I've been shipping small overseas parts orders as "First Class Mail International - Large Envelope" (in PayPal.)

The main constraint is the envelope must be less than 3/4".

Today I shipped these to Indonesia:

329aa24c85de8a0b3402929cab3b3f0b.jpg

I used three pieces of 2-ply cardboard. In one of the pieces, I cut two holes.

837b3c66b7e285b62bffbfcd9dfa8850.jpg

The pieces with the holes goes in between the other two pieces. The LEGO sits in the nests created by the holes.

7dd7febf5620bc47bc39e62da4bfa574.jpg

I taped up the LEGO sandwich.

f6c5d4fb307f1a1f7b2b785efc529f44.jpg

Stuck it in a manila envelope and bathed it in tape.

07b05cfb19f40e4c93373f183dc1fd83.jpg

825f6f63c641335460b17ba8bb22d14a.jpg

0f7bce130de72c743c7b2f6d872b41af.jpg

The finished envelope was 1/2" thick and 3oz. Shipping cost to Indonesia was $4.05.

I've done this eight times now with no problems. I only ship small parts, torsos, legs, heads, and hands this way. I have avoided sending some more fragile small parts, like helmets using this technique.

As has been discussed earlier, sending LEGO in an envelope is not recommended and has it's risks. That said, is anyone else using envelopes for international shipping? I'd be interested in hearing how you do it. Cheers.

• Like 5