General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

31 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

That's a good idea, really. Why not use bubble envelope as well?

My understanding is that USPS now considers bubble envelopes "packages," not envelopes. I have thought about using a bubble envelope on the inside. The struggle is keeping the envelope under 3/4" thick, so it qualifies for the envelope rate.

Edited by randrace

Got a warning from PayPal saying USPS is accusing me of putting the wrong postage for a shipment but didn't ask for a payment of difference or give a reason for the discrepancy

Anyone get one of these before?

This is the first time in like 20yrs of shipping

3 hours ago, glostik said:

Got a warning from PayPal saying USPS is accusing me of putting the wrong postage for a shipment but didn't ask for a payment of difference or give a reason for the discrepancy

Anyone get one of these before?

This is the first time in like 20yrs of shipping

Wrong postage meaning incorrect weight, type of usps box or method?

Just to add to the convo, I sometimes am an ounce over first class package weight and will go with priority shipping instead to not get dinged.  What are the odds that I would get dinged for being an ounce over and still sending it first class?  Anyone want to share their thoughts here.

1 minute ago, LegoBro said:

Just to add to the convo, I sometimes am an ounce over first class package weight and will go with priority shipping instead to not get dinged.  What are the odds that I would get dinged for being an ounce over and still sending it first class?  Anyone want to share their thoughts here.

you will get busted quickly.  not worth it.  there is an art to shipping things cheap while following the rules.  for me, that art is called FBA.

• Like 1

I got a warning once for being .6 oz over. Basically I said a 10.6 oz package was 10 not 11 oz, since they round up. Others have said that small, rural post offices with nothing to do will weigh your package for accuracy. Others have also said the post office has withheld packages from the recipient until the recipient pays the cost difference. An easy way to piss off a customer.
  • Like 2

My understanding is that USPS now considers bubble envelopes "packages," not envelopes. I have thought about using a bubble envelope on the inside. The struggle is keeping the envelope under 3/4" thick, so it qualifies for the envelope rate.

Yes, bubble mailers are packages. Domestically, you can pay extra $0.70 or something to have your letter hand sorted, rather than go through the machine. I don't know if that works internationally, but an extra something to ensure your Lego doesn't get eaten up.
  • Like 1

A letter hand sorted would be an additional $0.21 above and beyond the cost of the stamp(s) depending on weight of envelope. So you are partially correct. I'm pretty sure the same would apply for an international letter that's hand sorted, on top of the international stamp. The only thing that would concern me would be once the letter leaves usps's hands, how does the destination country handle it?

7 hours ago, donbee said:

I got a warning once for being .6 oz over. Basically I said a 10.6 oz package was 10 not 11 oz, since they round up. Others have said that small, rural post offices with nothing to do will weigh your package for accuracy. Others have also said the post office has withheld packages from the recipient until the recipient pays the cost difference. An easy way to piss off a customer.

I always round up to the next ounce just to be safe. It costs a few extra cents in most cases but can save you a world of potential trouble. I have also found that small post offices examine packages more closely. My local post office is in a very small town and if I take packages there the guy looks at every package and weighs them. I work in a small city and I take my packages to the main branch most of the time which is close to my work.  I just put the packages on the counter and no one even looks at me.  

• Like 2

I always pay for the highest weight in the class grouping on first class

First class mail has groupings

1 oz is  the same price as 4oz

5oz is the same price as 8oz

etc etc

Same for priority - at a certain dimension, the weights dont matter - only the size of the box

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a question about what people do for shipping boxed sets on eBay. I have a bunch I've collected over the past couple of months and I am looking at starting to sell. I have a solid reputation on eBay. I also have labels and how to pack things down fine, but my question comes into play with boxes.

Obviously Lego uses a set amount of different sizes for boxes. I was curious where you all get boxes? U-Line? Also is there a certain size you have found covers your bases for most Lego sets?

I will obviously have to give it a test run between priority and weighted, but I was just curious if anyone had a solid system down? I don't want to buy a bunch of different size boxes obviously.

Also side question, has anyone just sold without the box and only new sealed bags? I gotta think that cuts into profit though due to people wanting the experience of opening a sealed box. Maybe I am wrong though.

Thanks for any help! ?

14 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Hi All,

I have a question about what people do for shipping boxed sets on eBay. I have a bunch I've collected over the past couple of months and I am looking at starting to sell. I have a solid reputation on eBay. I also have labels and how to pack things down fine, but my question comes into play with boxes.

Obviously Lego uses a set amount of different sizes for boxes. I was curious where you all get boxes? U-Line? Also is there a certain size you have found covers your bases for most Lego sets?

I will obviously have to give it a test run between priority and weighted, but I was just curious if anyone had a solid system down? I don't want to buy a bunch of different size boxes obviously.

Check this thread for common box sizes.  Some of the sets listed are older so you'll have to do some cross referencing.  Staples used to be a good place to buy boxes when they were giving out all the coupons, but that seems to have dried up recently.

17 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Also side question, has anyone just sold without the box and only new sealed bags? I gotta think that cuts into profit though due to people wanting the experience of opening a sealed box. Maybe I am wrong though.

I've done this but only on boxes that are trashed, usually sets from AWD.  Your buying pool is slightly smaller, but as long as you're reasonable in pricing, it will sell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I need some shipping advice.  I usually deal with people who buy a few sets, international shipping is usually not a problem.  

However, today I got an order for 133 Dimension sets (all level packs).   The buyer wants them sealed and in mint condition for resale.  

I've looked at a few different shipping options (UPS, FedEx, USPS, Overseas freight shipping companies).  Boxing all the sets up to keep it under the 4 lbs airmail weight comes out to $50 x 11 boxes ($550).

Is there a cheaper/easier method for shipping this many sets overseas?  Anyone have experience with this kind of shipping?

Thanks

3 hours ago, superheat said:

I need some shipping advice.  I usually deal with people who buy a few sets, international shipping is usually not a problem.  

However, today I got an order for 133 Dimension sets (all level packs).   The buyer wants them sealed and in mint condition for resale.  

I've looked at a few different shipping options (UPS, FedEx, USPS, Overseas freight shipping companies).  Boxing all the sets up to keep it under the 4 lbs airmail weight comes out to $50 x 11 boxes ($550).

Is there a cheaper/easier method for shipping this many sets overseas?  Anyone have experience with this kind of shipping?

Thanks

Never mind.  I figured it out.  I'm so used to doing the First Class USPS 4 lbs. cut off that I forgot I can go heavier and it just becomes Priority Mail International.

Two 22x21x22 boxes at 19 and 21 lbs.  about $90 each.   

• Like 1

Never mind.  I figured it out.  I'm so used to doing the First Class USPS 4 lbs. cut off that I forgot I can go heavier and it just becomes Priority Mail International.

Two 22x21x22 boxes at 19 and 21 lbs.  about $90 each.   

Bit late, but as recommended by another BPer. Look into Postpony.com for international shipments.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for any help! 

I don't buy boxes, an enjoy making my own. I scan behind ny local Ross and Marshall's where I get huge boxes and carboard pieces. Here's what I do:

Wrap the set in bubble wrap. Set it on top of a piece of cardboard that is around 2.5 times as long and 1.25 times as wide as your set. Roll your set (like a burrito) with the cardboard, making four folds to make a box. Fold with the grain of the cardboard. Cut slits on the edges and fold in flaps to complete the box.

Also Google "USPS free priority boxes." USPS will send you free boxes, but they are only good for smaller sets. Grab at least one 'Regional Box A' and 'Regional Box B.' When you have a set that fit these boxes, postage is usually a good value.

I just ordered a bundle of USPS 1095 boxes from USPS.com. Since I do my selling on eBay mostly, I already get priority for the same price as retail ground. The 1095 is a really good size for a good number of sets. The bigger sets I try to find them from work or behind stores, gotta make sure you get close to the set size tho, as volumetric pricing starts to come into play with sets that retail from $60ish up if you don't get a box small enough.

• 2 months later...

I shipped 2 packages to a buyer in Singapore back on 10/5 via USPS First Glass International Package. One of the 2 packages arrived early last week, but the second package tracking shows this: "October 11, 2017, 9:42 am    In Transit to Destination    ON ITS WAY TO MIRACLE, KY 40856".  Not pleased that this package isn't going to the right place. Both labels and packages were nearly identical, except for the info on the customs form.

I contacted the local post office in Miracle and the parent office close by as well. They were able to see photos of the package in JFK, but there are no updates since. I've filed a lost package request with USPS, but my experience with that is less than great.

Anyone have suggestions? Should I wait it out longer, or refund/send a new package to the buyer? Sadly, insurance wasn't available through USPS for Singapore... 

9 minutes ago, SageFly said:

I shipped 2 packages to a buyer in Singapore back on 10/5 via USPS First Glass International Package. One of the 2 packages arrived early last week, but the second package tracking shows this: "October 11, 2017, 9:42 am    In Transit to Destination    ON ITS WAY TO MIRACLE, KY 40856".  Not pleased that this package isn't going to the right place. Both labels and packages were nearly identical, except for the info on the customs form.

I contacted the local post office in Miracle and the parent office close by as well. They were able to see photos of the package in JFK, but there are no updates since. I've filed a lost package request with USPS, but my experience with that is less than great.

Anyone have suggestions? Should I wait it out longer, or refund/send a new package to the buyer? Sadly, insurance wasn't available through USPS for Singapore... 

It will be a miracle if the buyer gets the package.  Sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously though, what's the dollar value? If it's small I would just refund. If it's large dollar I would wait as long as possible to see if there are any updates depending on the attitude of the buyer but you will probably have to refund or send another item.

1 hour ago, SageFly said:

I shipped 2 packages to a buyer in Singapore back on 10/5 via USPS First Glass International Package. One of the 2 packages arrived early last week, but the second package tracking shows this: "October 11, 2017, 9:42 am    In Transit to Destination    ON ITS WAY TO MIRACLE, KY 40856". 

What is the zip code for the buyer's address in Singapore?

Just now, zskid00 said:

What is the zip code for the buyer's address in Singapore?

408564, Thus I'm sure the reason it says that it's headed to Miracle since the first 5 are the same.

All of my labels are printed though, so it clearly states 408564 and the photos from the post office scan show the correct post code.

The buyer just got back to me and he's willing to give it until the end of the week. Sadly, it's $180 in minifigures, so not a small bite to swallow. I'll probably be looking into external insurance going forward.

1 hour ago, SageFly said:

Wait and don't do anything. Package always shows up. Somewhere. Respond to buyer when they inquire.

You need to remember international first class is an up to 30 day service. It has been six days...

Edit: you get the idea. Obviously it's now been more than six days. But I have no idea what today's date is until I have coffee.

Edited by minicoopers11

5 minutes ago, SageFly said:

408564, Thus I'm sure the reason it says that it's headed to Miracle since the first 5 are the same.

That's what I figured.  I send a decent amount of packages via First Class International and the USPS will incorrectly sort some of them and I have the same problem.  If this happens I communicate to the buyer and usually within a week to ten days I see the package get an international dispatch.  I have never had a package lost as a result of this error, but I would open a search request with the USPS if you don't see any progress after a week or so.  Unfortunately that doesn't help you if the buyer isn't willing to wait.  Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Just sold a Lego set on eBay for what is a slightly above average price for a rare set.

Spidey senses tingling. Buyer only has 21 feedback, surprised he didn't use make an offer, and recent activity seems low. 

Paid with PayPal and marked eligible. Any tips for avoiding being punked?

I'm thinking wait at least 48hrs in case it's a hacked account?