10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

• 1 month later...

That is the first time I've seen a retailer actually carry the Haunted House besides Lego. Hopefully we'll see some decent discounts on it like 20% or more at some point!

Likely means at least the Haunted House will be around for a while, it should bring down ebay prices for the Haunted House, at least in the short term.

Maybe the Monster Fighters will be seasonal like the Winter Holiday sets?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if anyone was hoping that TRU was going to sell the Haunted house below retail or the B-wing think again. Just checked the online price of both. Haunted House is now at $180. It originally was listed at $169 or $159. As for the B-wing that was at $199 before now $230. I don't think the Haunted House was ever available. B-Wing was but why buy anything from TRU at retail :)

Well, if anyone was hoping that TRU was going to sell the Haunted house below retail or the B-wing think again. Just checked the online price of both. Haunted House is now at $180. It originally was listed at $169 or $159. As for the B-wing that was at $199 before now $230. I don't think the Haunted House was ever available. B-Wing was but why buy anything from TRU at retail :)

Rarely (and I mean rarely) TRU will run an actual sale where things are cheaper than retail price. You just have to almost do more work than it is worth to figure out if anything is on sale. I've picked up a few 7879 Echo Bases when they were down around $75, and they had the 9450 Epic Dragon Battle for $100 for a minute at Christmas time.

Rarely (and I mean rarely) TRU will run an actual sale where things are cheaper than retail price. You just have to almost do more work than it is worth to figure out if anything is on sale.

I totally agree.

I think it was last October TRU online ran a buy two get one free that I thought was a good deal, even with their markup I bought two Vampyre Castles and one Dino HQ because there were identical prices. They ended up costing about $78 each including tax.

When the Hobbit sets first came out TRU had a BOGO half off excluding Friends and Technics but not Hobbit (they called the mgr over to make sure) and I had a stackable 10% coupon plus a $5 coupon plus a $20 coupon I paid $10 for on Groupon AND, most importantly TRU had them at actual retail! I went back the next day and their price was marked up!

So, I buy from TRU occasionally something like two or three times a year. But I agree it takes some work to figure out if you are getting a good deal. Most times I visit TRU I leave with nothing!

The only thing TRU is good for is buying sets that are EOL. At least at my local one, they seem to always have stuff FOREVER. They still have a ton of Prince of Persia, the crap PotC sets, Toy Story, Atlantis... Like, they have a 4867 Hogwarts that must have been a xmas return... of course, it's $75.

• 1 month later...

I was trying to get 20% off from Haunted house and was trying to locate it in nearby TRU stores but was unlucky..The online 20% off coupon does not work..I called TRU Customer Service and they told me these sets are available in limited stores and shows as discontinued item and TRU is not getting them any more... So looks like this set is no more in production.. any thoughts?

I was trying to get 20% off from Haunted house and was trying to locate it in nearby TRU stores but was unlucky..The online 20% off coupon does not work..I called TRU Customer Service and they told me these sets are available in limited stores and shows as discontinued item and TRU is not getting them any more... So looks like this set is no more in production.. any thoughts?

I think that the Haunted House is set #10228 not #10229, but that doesn't really matter right now.

Well, to start, the Haunted House is probably considered by most to be more of a "Modular" build than a Monster Fighter one. Since the price point and design of the sets are similar, I think that they product running time will be pretty similar, so we will probably see it around next Christmas (can't wait!).

Now, looking at current Brick Picker data, you see that the Haunted House is going on eBay for a whooping $36 above regular MSRP. Not sure why, but it is doing extremely well on the secondary market, even before EOL (who knows what will happen after EOL). Probably because it is a cross-breed between the Modulars and the Monster Fighter themes, so it has 2x the attention that any other set would have.

TRU has a track record of being unpredictable, having items listed on their eBay page that they do not have in stock, high prices, etc. I think that they just decided not to get the set because it hasn't been performing as well as other sets in their store. What I mean is this: When a company sees a low performing set, they EOL it. That is why we see that the Death Star is still around while the 10198 Tantive IV isn't.

I think that TRU has high expectations for high priced sets, and it didn't live up to that expectation so they cut it from their orders. LEGO Shop at Home will probably still carry it because they have more sense than TRU that this set is a winner. Since this set came out in 2012 and the serial number starts with a 10-, it leads me to think of it like a regular SW UCS or Modulars, which has a average running time of at least 2 years.

I think that the Haunted House is set #10228 not #10229, but that doesn't really matter right now.

Well, to start, the Haunted House is probably considered by most to be more of a "Modular" build than a Monster Fighter one. Since the price point and design of the sets are similar, I think that they product running time will be pretty similar, so we will probably see it around next Christmas (can't wait!).

Now, looking at current Brick Picker data, you see that the Haunted House is going on eBay for a whooping $36 above regular MSRP. Not sure why, but it is doing extremely well on the secondary market, even before EOL (who knows what will happen after EOL). Probably because it is a cross-breed between the Modulars and the Monster Fighter themes, so it has 2x the attention that any other set would have.

TRU has a track record of being unpredictable, having items listed on their eBay page that they do not have in stock, high prices, etc. I think that they just decided not to get the set because it hasn't been performing as well as other sets in their store. What I mean is this: When a company sees a low performing set, they EOL it. That is why we see that the Death Star is still around while the 10198 Tantive IV isn't.

I think that TRU has high expectations for high priced sets, and it didn't live up to that expectation so they cut it from their orders. LEGO Shop at Home will probably still carry it because they have more sense than TRU that this set is a winner. Since this set came out in 2012 and the serial number starts with a 10-, it leads me to think of it like a regular SW UCS or Modulars, which has a average running time of at least 2 years.

thanks..i agree TRU might be discontinuing this set bec its not performing well for them..i

well when i was at TRU flagship store at Times Square NY..I saw few Haunted Houses with BOGO( that was a week ago)..so each would have cost me 138$..I could not buy as i had bought all maersk trains from them that day

you will be regretting that in a few years. i happily paid full retail for the 5 that i have, so getting them at $138 would have been a dream come true. your trains will do well though, too.