What is the draw to Ninjago?

justapilgrim

I know most collectors/investors proclaim they only buy what they like, but there are also plenty that will buy anything they can flip for a buck.

None of my kids watch the cartoon and from a non ninja expert most of these sets look the same, and not a ton different than the chima stuff out there.

I personally think the movie won't have a large draw like the lego movie did, so I am pessimistic about the short and long term for these

Sets

Am I right? Way off?

Most kids like ninjas, dragons, robots, and skeletons. That's what Ninjago is. It also has a catchy theme song. My boys love it. I've built a couple of the sets and they are good builds and fun for the kids. All the retired dragons seem to do really well. My advice would be, pick up a couple of golden dragons on clearance and hold them until nest Christmas. If you can sell them for $80-$100 you win, if not you should at least break even.

Short to Medium term I see potential.  Kids into the theme at present will want to get EOL sets from the back catalog to complete their collections.  Some sets have temporary shortages or regional restrictions so there can be possible short term gains there as well.  

I just not convinced of a long term (5 years plus) potential.  I can't foresee kids growing up and want to go back and complete collections from their childhood.  They have too many competing options.

Indeed these are good short to medium term investments. Long-term is uncertain. The main draw now are the minifigs, I guess.

Also I believe there are not so many older ninjago sets in MISB state. Most of them got opened by the kids and played with. Collectors and AFOL's neglected the sets. So if you have some 2011 and 2012 MISB Ninjago sets you are good. At least in my experience.

I know most collectors/investors proclaim they only buy what they like, but there are also plenty that will buy anything they can flip for a buck. None of my kids watch the cartoon and from a non ninja expert most of these sets look the same, and not a ton different than the chima stuff out there.

I personally think the movie won't have a large draw like the lego movie did, so I am pessimistic about the short and long term for these Sets. Am I right? Way off?

Martial Arts/ Ninjas in toy line, video games, shows, and cartoons have been popular for decades. GI Joe, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, etc... Kids love the martial arts moves and wearing masks.

The Ninjago cartoon is actually pretty good (content-wise) much more so than Chima (my opinion). Chima is def for the little ones while Ninjago is geared toward older kids with the storylines.

The Chima and Ninjago Lego toy lines are entirely differently design-wise despite sharing elements (like all Lego sets do).

I think demand for Ninjago sets will increase back to 2012 levels when the movie comes out and maybe even sooner. There seems or be plenty of new sets planned for 2015. Now if only the cartoon would get on a regular schedule.

I think demand for Ninjago sets will increase back to 2012 levels when the movie comes out and maybe even sooner. There seems or be plenty of new sets planned for 2015. Now if only the cartoon would get on a regular schedule.

I hope so.  I wanna get rid of my stash of epic dragon battle sets.  

Just got rid of my Epic Dragon Battle and several Fire Temples. Were taking up too much space and money, and they're not as good in UK.

Sold at just above retail, but was getting for 50% off so still made a decent amount back after fees that I'm happy with - well enough for me anyway - don't need to sell everything for hundreds and hundreds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm late coming to this discussion, but here's my thoughts....

Around here, there is not a boy between the age of 4 and 11 that doesn't know what Ninjago is and most of them love it. There's fun characters and a cool story line. In my most optimistic view, it's similarly to Transformers, in that they didn't have much adult or teen appeal until the kids who grew up with it got older.

The appeal for me is that it's the only current theme that has elements of Asian architecture. I got into Ninjago for the Temple of Fire, Temple of Light, etc. Some of us like building temples and dojos as well as castles and batcaves.

Edited by jivejong
  • Like 1

The appeal for me is that it's the only current theme that has elements of Asian architecture. I got into Ninjago for the Temple of Fire, Temple of Light, etc. Some of us like building temples and dojos as well as castles and batcaves.

This ^^^ Well said.  For those of us old enough to remember growing up watching Kung Fu movies on Saturday's or just wanting to recreate a scene out of Kill Bill these sets are great. 

• Like 1

I just finished pulling 9448 Samurai Mech out of a bulk lot and I was surprised by the complexity and quality of the build. It's a great little set that uses some very cool build techniques.

Except kids like to rip off the "helmet" piece and all of the bits attaching it...  And you're left wondering, how the hll did all these pieces fit together?

This ^^^ Well said.  For those of us old enough to remember growing up watching Kung Fu movies on Saturday's or just wanting to recreate a scene out of Kill Bill these sets are great. 

There's a bunch of builds of medieval and Star Wars battle scenes out there. One of these days, I'd like to make a build that would make Akira Kurosawa proud. A scene from Ran or Seven Samurai would be awesome.

Living in DC metro area that has a large Asian population, I see that the Ninjago sets are pretty popular among that group. Even my 75 year old mother thinks the Temple of Fire is cool. I wish the theme would have more buildings, as they seem to be the most interesting elements and has the most potential to be more timeless than something like an Earth Driller.