• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
  2. 2. Are they a good investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

• 2 weeks later...

I think right now is a very good time to buy some of these sets. They retail on the Lego shop for $199, but you can get them on ebay for $150, no shipping

To me that is a pretty good deal. If you hold on to them, I am sure one they are retired, they will blow past that retail price and then you will make a good return on investment. Personally I really like the Architecture sites. They are just a little bit different then the rest.

I am considering buying some of the Robie house sets. Any ideas on what to expect investment wise on this particular set?

Nice set...2000+ pieces, the largest of the Architecture series I believe. Large sets always do well when they are discontinued. The Architecture sets are very unique and classy and will appreciate nicely after they are discontinued IMO. To me, the are kind of a 'niche' theme, but they are attractive to the older Lego fans and they are the ones with the money.

• 1 month later...

The Robie House has been on sale off and on at Amazon from between $150 and $180 for a several weeks now. My advice would be to see it in person before making a buying decision. Though it has 2K+ pieces, they are mostly very small and nearly all red. I was quite surprised when I saw the completed set in the store, it may be intricate, but it is not very impressive size wise. I think the $150 price point is far more indicative of its worth than the RRP of $200.

The Robie House has been on sale off and on at Amazon from between $150 and $180 for a several weeks now. My advice would be to see it in person before making a buying decision. Though it has 2K+ pieces, they are mostly very small and nearly all red. I was quite surprised when I saw the completed set in the store, it may be intricate, but it is not very impressive size wise. I think the $150 price point is far more indicative of its worth than the RRP of $200.

Yes, the pieces are all rather small and it certainly isn't well known as a landmark to the non-architects out there, like me. LEGO sets are popular for many reasons, one is if people can relate to it. Most people have no idea what or where the Robie House is, so why would they care to build it? On the other hand, it does have a ton of pieces(albeit smaller in nature) and is rather interesting looking, so there will be interest. Paying full pop for the set would be best spent elsewhere, but if you can get a good deal on Amazon or TRU, go for it.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna have to disagree with them going up in value. If you look back, none of the architecture sets have gone up in value by THAT much. In my opinion they are overpriced to begin with and you're paying for a nice box and instruction booklet rather that a well-designed set. They don't have any minifigs and the only pieces that are not easy to come by are the black tiles with the name of the building printed on them. With that being said: FallingWater and the White House are the exceptions and I can see them going up, but only marginally. Falling Water is a gorgeous model and very fun to look at and build, don't get me wrong, but the series as a whole is a little lackluster.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What does everyone think about these sets? personally i find them alittle small and the opera house is just horrible. But is there a market for these sets down the road? Will they appreciate like some of the bigger advanced models?

I like these sets and consider them under the radar types of sets. They haven't shown any growth because most, if not all, are still available at MSRP or lower. Be patient with these sets and I think they will reward you nicely one day.

• 4 weeks later...

List off some ideas that you might have for some new Architecture sets. Personally, I would like to see a football stadium put into lego form. Also, I think they should do a Washington D.C. series with sets like the Capitol, Supreme Court, Monuments, etc. Thoughts???

• Like 1