Mega Bloks - general discussion

Brick Babe

6 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

And that's how I got my MegaBloks TMNT collections started :tomato:

LOL. I honestly like the Mega Bloks minifigures a lot. They are very poseable and proportional looking. But the plastic materials that they use seem/look cheap. Legos use much higher quality plastic, it seems like. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rpaulson7 said:

I've received my two Mega Bloks Enterprise from Amazon at the $99.99 price.  One arrived in the outer Mega Bloks case, and the other in the outer Mega Bloks case which was then inside a massive Amazon box. 

It looks like a really sweet set - the box is great.  But it's large, and it's heavy, so shipping will cost us (or the buyer). 

I was hesitant, but I think at this price point, it'll be a winner in a while.  Now I just need to find some space on the shelving.

If you can, do a weight check on those in grams and report back.  

Ok.....I have to admit I'm a little nervous. Here are the weights of the 4 I've got. And the discrepancies alarm me....

7190 - 7178 - 7176 - 7156

I weighed all of them two different times on two different surfaces. There is probably a +/-.2% tolerance, but that does not make up the differences.

Now I'm really curious to see other's weights. :(

23 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

Ok.....I have to admit I'm a little nervous. Here are the weights of the 4 I've got. And the discrepancies alarm me....

7190 - 7178 - 7176 - 7156

I weighed all of them two different times on two different surfaces. There is probably a +/-.2% tolerance, but that does not make up the differences.

Now I'm really curious to see other's weights. :(

A couple things. 

One, what options are there for finding a good scale measuring something about 15+ pounds to the nearest gram?  A bathroom scale is out of the question, and my kitchen scale only handles about 2.5 pounds.

Two, there are a lot of variables at play.  One gram is about the weight of one paperclip.  You have a 34 gram range.  Could be about 34 spare parts (or 10 mid-size ones).  Could be the moisture content of the corrugated box.  Or the paper density of the box. 

If we all weighed our Lego Disney Castles, what might the variation be?

2 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

rpaulson7 - I read your response. I am fairly confident in my scale as it has a 25kg capacity. But I guess, as you mentioned, my curiosity is in the weight tolerances for this specific set. Are there varying extra pieces in each set? What are all the variables?

Well I don't know about varying extra pieces.  This is my first Mega Bloks set.  But for Lego, are the extra pieces always the same?  Or is it just random small stuff - the person or machine was supposed to grab one but it grabbed two and didn't care?

Then the moisture of the corrugated is mentioned.  Water has weight.  And 34 paperclips (grams) doesn't weigh much. 

I'm just saying the variablility is there - yes.  But that doesn't mean you have an incomplete set.  And I'd agree that I'd be a little nervous on that lowest measurement - it's a bit of an "outlier".  And then we have another observation at 7192 - but in a different climate and different scale.

Without an exact study, we don't know the exact weight.  Like, someone build the entire thing to verify all parts.  Then how much does that weigh, plus the extra parts, plus the manual, plus all the now-empty plastic bags, plus the remainder of the sticker sheet.  Plus the box.  But again, humidity / water content of the box and consistency of spare parts are unknown.

I'm not saying your scale is wrong - that's a control you do have in place if you used the same one every time.  I also like that you measured using two surfaces of the box just in case. 

Can anyone tell I'm an Industrial Engineer and Six Sigma Black Belt?  Data is great - but sometimes there are variables we cannot control or that must be studied further.

• Like 1

Weighed mine tonight - came out to 7205 grams.  Heaviest of the bunch so far.
I trust this scale.  My postal person often comments how on point my scale is to her scale.  I don't round my numbers, because I use her scale as the control.

Is this like weight against Golden Grahams or what? If my USPS person told me how many grams my packages weighed, I'd ask them what continent they're on?
  • Like 1

My six enterprise's arrived over the past couple days.  Weighed them tonight, total variance across the six was a range of 1.4 ounces (sorry i didn't take a gram reading).  Not bad on a 15+ pound set.  The lightest of the bunch is now my copy as I would rather have to deal with potential missing pieces than a unhappy customer down the road.

Gave me a pause on storing them though.  It didn't quite feel right putting them with the LEGO sets.....almost like they will taint the LEGO stash :P.  Sorry Mega Blocks....its an awesome set but its not LEGO :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Weighed mine tonight - came out to 7205 grams.  Heaviest of the bunch so far.

I trust this scale.  My postal person often comments how on point my scale is to her scale.  I don't round my numbers, because I use her scale as the control.

So mine come out at 7200 and 7210.  The outlier came in at 7350.  Is that way too much out of the norm?  Which one to open now.....that's the question.  If I open the heaviest and everything is there, I'll be wondering about the other 2.  If I open the lightest one, I'll be wondering if the heaviest is just stuffed with a bunch of who knows what.

Edited by LegoBro

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:42 PM, TheGallows said:

Love this set... never thought I'd say that about megablocks.

Anyways not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, mod please move if needed. Just seen on the 'what other products do invest in' thread that this has been reduced by 48% on amazon.com. Great, as I'd really like a couple of these. But with shipping to the UK it comes to over £210.

http://amzn.to/2gJYjbn

Anyone seen this for a decent price over here? Is it coming to any UK or European retailers? Whats peoples thought on this as an investment?

Any Bper in Europe interested in one for personal build please PM me! I may be able to help.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2016 at 5:53 AM, rpaulson7 said:

Well I don't know about varying extra pieces.  This is my first Mega Bloks set.  But for Lego, are the extra pieces always the same?  Or is it just random small stuff - the person or machine was supposed to grab one but it grabbed two and didn't care?

Then the moisture of the corrugated is mentioned.  Water has weight.  And 34 paperclips (grams) doesn't weigh much. 

I'm just saying the variablility is there - yes.  But that doesn't mean you have an incomplete set.  And I'd agree that I'd be a little nervous on that lowest measurement - it's a bit of an "outlier".  And then we have another observation at 7192 - but in a different climate and different scale.

Without an exact study, we don't know the exact weight.  Like, someone build the entire thing to verify all parts.  Then how much does that weigh, plus the extra parts, plus the manual, plus all the now-empty plastic bags, plus the remainder of the sticker sheet.  Plus the box.  But again, humidity / water content of the box and consistency of spare parts are unknown.

I'm not saying your scale is wrong - that's a control you do have in place if you used the same one every time.  I also like that you measured using two surfaces of the box just in case. 

Can anyone tell I'm an Industrial Engineer and Six Sigma Black Belt?  Data is great - but sometimes there are variables we cannot control or that must be studied further.

No, couldn't tell.

1 hour ago, lego rules said:

I would consider a 4x2 brick avg. which weighs 2.32g according to bricklink.

Thanks...Just wondering how many pieces are in 10-20 ounces.  From reading the reviews on Amazon, most sets are complete with extra pieces.  A few people complained about missing bags or the wrong bags.  Some even got extra bags.  Overall, worthy of the risk IMO.