Ultra Agents 2015

So I bought myself 3 UA HQ Trucks at 30% off... hopefully I can sell them for small profit.

If not I guess I'll have to build them all myself!

To me one of the most attractive UA sets, the truck is pretty impressive and has got nice gadgets. Any opinions on this set? (70165)

I have been lucky so far, I have just about all of the Ultra Agents 2014 and 2015 and have been able to find them for roughly 45%-50% off. The cartwheel coupon last week helped with getting the HQ set for $56 after red card and the Anti-matter Copter set for $39. Only sets that have been released for this line that I have not gotten yet are the small riverside raid, spyclops infiltration and invizable gold getaway. Target seems to have a short leash with these as they have been clearanced pretty quickly (got wave 1 in the January - March clearance frenzy at 50% off) and now wave 2 is already 30-50% and it has only been out since March. I like the theme for its creativity for my personal collection, not necessarily for investing.

I found the original Mission HQ in a bulk lot and I think that it is a really neat set and easy to sell.  I would expect the current model to be a $225 set (new) at some point.  I would be a buyer of a few of the sets if I can find them on sale

So I bought myself 3 UA HQ Trucks at 30% off... hopefully I can sell them for small profit.

If not I guess I'll have to build them all myself!

To me one of the most attractive UA sets, the truck is pretty impressive and has got nice gadgets. Any opinions on this set? (70165)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Ocean HQ - 70173 is now sold out in the USA, so no chance now of it making it to the EU.

Asda in the UK did stock 70171 about 6 weeks ago and I managed to get 2. Wonder if they placed an order for a batch after they were unveiled and TLG had to fulfill? 

I just bought the Mission HQ truck and the Ultracopter at 40% and 50% off and hope to sell over xmas at around RRP. I think they'll be easy enough to sell around then. I wouldn't see them as great long term investments, but if you can get them cheap enough, I would think there's some money to be made over xmas while there's still some demand.

I just bought the Mission HQ truck and the Ultracopter at 40% and 50% off and hope to sell over xmas at around RRP. I think they'll be easy enough to sell around then. I wouldn't see them as great long term investments, but if you can get them cheap enough, I would think there's some money to be made over xmas while there's still some demand.

I agree with this, I got a couple of Mission HQ for 52% off, think they should go for about €100 at Christmas. Was tempted to pick up more in Smyths at 50% off, but put the cash into other sets I hadn't picked up yet instead.

So what's everybody's thoughts on Mission HQ as an investment? Will it sell easily? Should those who own one hold onto it for long, or sell it for a reasonable profit asap?

I had picked 3 up at Target on clearance at $70 a piece. Couldn't justify keeping them at that price so they went back. At $50 I would have held onto them, likely till Christmas. The set that this one is very similar too (don't have the item number) retired over 5 years ago and only sells for around $150.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the Brickset figures, 70173 could easily be the rarest commercially released set of 2015. Still not sure how the price will react once these sell out but it sure will be interesting to watch.

Brickset uses European data and since this set was never released outside the North American lego shop limits it is certainly our rarest set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... well... a few weeks later and still no Ultra Agents theme listed on the LEGO Shop at Home site... (still searchable and still available, tho).

I've picked up a few 70173 Ocean HQ, hoping that it was a goner... Sold Out at SAH, gone from Target, Walmart, etc.  Toys R Us was the only place that had them, and there were only 1 (or none) in my main TRU stores.  A couple weeks ago I tried to put 999 in my cart at TRU.com, and found they only had 462 (or so).  But then, a few days later, it was 600-something .. a week later it was 700-something... and now it's 900-something!  Also finding several in my stores now.  They are multiplying.

Hmm... well... a few weeks later and still no Ultra Agents theme listed on the LEGO Shop at Home site... (still searchable and still available, tho).

I've picked up a few 70173 Ocean HQ, hoping that it was a goner... Sold Out at SAH, gone from Target, Walmart, etc.  Toys R Us was the only place that had them, and there were only 1 (or none) in my main TRU stores.  A couple weeks ago I tried to put 999 in my cart at TRU.com, and found they only had 462 (or so).  But then, a few days later, it was 600-something .. a week later it was 700-something... and now it's 900-something!  Also finding several in my stores now.  They are multiplying.

I hate to say this but I think the only people buying Ultra Agents are the resellers who think they are about to disappear. I think Lego wants to be rid of this (comparatively) abysmal line and they are dumping all they've got to anyone who will take it - mostly TRU.

I have several 70173 myself and I am still optimistic they might make a nice return in a couple of years, but I have to look at it all objectively, too.

• Like 2

I noticed they were multiplying as well & mentioned it a few hours ago in the "retiring soon" forum...

I hate to say this but I think the only people buying Ultra Agents are the resellers who think they are about to disappear. I think Lego wants to be rid of this (comparatively) abysmal line and they are dumping all they've got to anyone who will take it - mostly TRU.

I have several 70173 myself and I am still optimistic they might make a nice return in a couple of years, but I have to look at it all objectively, too.

I agree, these probably won't mean much for a couple years...I am hoping they have some sort of BF/CM sale for these like last year with Galaxy Squad...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TRU loves to take out Lego's trash. It looks like TRU can now apply their $10 tax and have it rot on their shelves for 2-3 years. I like this set but I knew that it would be a crap investment due to the lack of popularity of the Ultra Agents line. When have these sets ever appreciated much?