10143 - UCS: Death Star II

Fcbarcelona101

It does need some major cosmetic surgery.......the concept is outstanding though!

Yeah the concept is great, but everything else is a mess. They have gotten away with things the way they are for so long because they don't have any competition really. It's the only large Lego site that MOC'ers and set buyers have to go to in order to purchase what they need. Other than ebay and a couple other small sites, there really isn't much else out there. BL needed a cosmetic surgeon a long time ago.

Sorry this thread has gotten way off topic haha

Btw, BL is straight crap! I don't mean to bash BL, but it is horrible. I mean their concept is fantastic, but their site is straight out of the 1995 dial up internet days, soooo annoying and frustrating to use! Sorry everytime I read about BL I have to rant a little........

Well to me posts like this only shows how lazy you guys become, I mean do not tell me it is THAT hard and unfriendly to list items in there...

It takes about a minute to list an item in your shop, unless you really have to search manually for some crazy unique stuff.

Sure the GUI looks like from 90s but that is good since it keeps the instant generation away, and way friendlier place than Craigslist or Ebay for the business making. Not to mention the low fees.

I dont like to be defending BL, I too would enjoy the easier GUI, but I do not mind this one neither, took me 1 week to figure it out and it is so much less work than relisting Ebay auctions every 3 days, just put sets up and log everyday for few seconds.

Well to me posts like this only shows how lazy you guys become, I mean do not tell me it is THAT hard and unfriendly to list items in there...

It takes about a minute to list an item in your shop, unless you really have to search manually for some crazy unique stuff.

Sure the GUI looks like from 90s but that is good since it keeps the instant generation away, and way friendlier place than Craigslist or Ebay for the business making. Not to mention the low fees.

I dont like to be defending BL, I too would enjoy the easier GUI, but I do not mind this one neither, took me 1 week to figure it out and it is so much less work than relisting Ebay auctions every 3 days, just put sets up and log everyday for few seconds.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound lazy, and I did come across a bit lazy by my statements. I was ranting a little more than I probably should have. This whole topic about BL has been something that has been talked about and talked about numerous times among people. I just feel that in 2013 there has to be a better, easier way. You're right, it's not that hard to use the site, I just feel there has to be a better alternative. BL themselves could update their site, but they have clearly chosen not to after all these years. And therefore I believe that it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and improves the BL concept, which is a great concept I might add. I'm sorry I came off so negative.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound lazy, and I did come across a bit lazy by my statements. I was ranting a little more than I probably should have. This whole topic about BL has been something that has been talked about and talked about numerous times among people. I just feel that in 2013 there has to be a better, easier way. You're right, it's not that hard to use the site, I just feel there has to be a better alternative. BL themselves could update their site, but they have clearly chosen not to after all these years. And therefore I believe that it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and improves the BL concept, which is a great concept I might add. I'm sorry I came off so negative.

Nah I just re-read my own post and I have to apologize, I did not mean you I meant overall people got lazy :P

But yea we all are getting lazy :D

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So, with the rumors that Lego will be doing a new version of the UCS Millennium Falcon, it got me thinking about whether or not I want to spend the time and energy hunting down some of the UCS sets that I missed.  I have a copy of the SSD that I intend to build at some point, and I think the 10143 set would look great displayed with it.  Do any of you fine brickpickers think there's a chance that this set will get redone at some point and I can avoid spending a bunch of money on it?

I was still in my dark age when this set was out, does anyone know if this was a good seller, which might help in guessing whether or not we'll see it again?

Interesting that you brought up this point. I do see another Death Star set available in the future, though I would bet heavily that it will be several years down the road. The current one will obviously have to retire first, then I`d anticipate a few year gap, and wouldn`t be surprised if another 3rd version was released. It could be 4-5+ years of waiting for your display for all we know. Yes you could save money ( assuming of course that Lego does make another set, obviously all we can do is speculate), but that`s quite a ways off. Lego could just as easily retire the current one and unveil and update, but we don`t know either way. If you`ve got the money and are that interested in making this display, I`d probably go for it. You`ll enjoy it no doubt, and that will definitely make it worth doing. Haven`t personally looked into the cost of Bricklinking a DS, but give that a shot, it`s possible you could save some cash doing that and substituting certain pieces, but it is time consuming. 

• Like 1

Death Star 2 remake is unlikely in my opinion, even more so in the near future as the playset version is still out. Also there is not much they can do to improve on the model compared to what they could do with the playset Death Star. I think the playset one will see a remake after some years, not Death Star 2. Also the need for remakes will lessen considerably in the future as there will be plenty of new ships to model. 6 movies in the plans after all.

For what it's worth, I doubt we will see even a single non-playset Death Star remake. With the new movies arriving. Lego will have plenty of fresh material to choose from. So there's no need for a rehash.

If there's another original trilogy playset or space station refresh, it will be of Cloud City.

LEGO is trending towards large playsets, they seem to be much more popular. DS II is too sculpture-like without functions/minifigs. Most new sets probably will resemble the Sandcrawler and the current DS, and the model-like ships will probably be confined to the middle-sized UCS category (X-wing, B-Wing etc.). This is the same logic why I say there won't be a 10179 remake. They will make it more playable and less detailed.

Another good way to think about it: If they make a comparable or better remake, you are looking at a $350 to $400 set, right?

If you cruise Ebay, really pay attention, you may be able to score a clean used 10143 for that same price. SO honestly how much would you actually be losing? - besides the 4-5 years you waited for the new one :)

Another good way to think about it: If they make a comparable or better remake, you are looking at a $350 to $400 set, right?

If you cruise Ebay, really pay attention, you may be able to score a clean used 10143 for that same price. SO honestly how much would you actually be losing? - besides the 4-5 years you waited for the new one :)

That's what I did. I managed to nab a gently used one for about $400 on ebay. A steal.

I see little chance(practically zero) of the 10143 getting remade.  First off, it was one of the more unpopular UCS sets.  It was a difficult and tedious build.  Secondly, we have no clue if there is a new Death Star in the new movies, but my bet is that you wont see one.  Third, with the new movie less than 2 years away, how many different UCS sets will be launched in the next 2 years?  Two, maybe three UCS sets, with one being the Slave 1 and maybe a lower class UCS Falcon.  I would think that there would be new ships in the movie that will get the UCS treatment, being that it is basically 30 years or so later.  

Point is, if you want a 10143, buy one now.  

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, I'm going to keep a keen eye on ebay to see if I can score a nice used one for a good price.  You guys are probably right, Lego will move away from the sculpture/model type sets and produce more playsets making a remake unlikely.

Bricklinking this thing doesn't seem to save any money at all, plus it would be a pain.

• 4 months later...

So I follow my local Goodwill auction site. I came across this when it was posted.

I was thinking about putting a bid in on this guy:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-II-18236480.html

However, it's gotten way higher than I ever imagined. I contacted them about additional pictures, or even the ability to come by and look at it since I work 5 minutes from their office. I was told that items can't be previewed.

For all I know it's a box with technic pieces. 

Just curious about what the 'Pickers here would say. I don't really have $400+ to drop, I probably would've bit around $200.