79003 - An Unexpected Gathering

They had 7-8, they were marked down at summer clearance, but they haven't been touched.  Fairly small town and all.

Not to hijack but how does the price adjustment process work with clearance items like that.  Can I just return them day of the sale and rebuy them?  Unethical?

Not unethical if it's within their return policy period, and if you return them to the same store you bought them at (Walmart to Walmart, target to target, etc). Just return the ones you bought early and buy the ones still in the store at the lower price. Check back later to see if they put the ones you returned back on the shelf and buy those at the lower price too. Nothing is unethical if you are obeying the return policy they put in place. If you feel guilty about it, then by all means don't do it. No sense losing sleep at night if it bothers you. I have done many price adjustments on items that I purchased at an earlier date (all within the return period and with a receipt), and my bottom line thanks me for it. Every dollar counts.

Not unethical if it's within their return policy period, and if you return them to the same store you bought them at (Walmart to Walmart, target to target, etc). Just return the ones you bought early and buy the ones still in the store at the lower price. Check back later to see if they put the ones you returned back on the shelf and buy those at the lower price too. Nothing is unethical if you are obeying the return policy they put in place. If you feel guilty about it, then by all means don't do it. No sense losing sleep at night if it bothers you. I have done many price adjustments on items that I purchased at an earlier date (all within the return period and with a receipt), and my bottom line thanks me for it. Every dollar counts.

I wouldn't feel bad about what you're describing, but I'm thinking more along the lines of speculating across the board what they may put on sale and then go in for price adjustments after the sale begins.  That's probably borderline.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, beat me to it. I was reading that last night. Interesting none of the first wave Hobbit sets are listed. But that may be a case of not being space in the book.

The GE and PS are not listed in the modulars section either and we are 99% sure that both of those will be around all year.

• 1 month later...

There is no way this doesnt eventually hit double retail, it's just going to take some time. They were readily available for what seemed like 12 months at around $55-60 on Amazon, Walmart and Target via PM.

That being said my guess is that most investor's didn't stock up at that price since it was the norm. The regular buyers who we'll eventually sell to likely did though.

Being that the Shire is in the LOTR series & obviously the Hobbit it will has a a lot of exposure. Its a great set to build, loads of minifigs and has lots of general appeal.

I'd imagine that next to HD this will be the most sought after set from the LOTR/Hobbit lineup.

FWIW I purchase everyone I can as long as its under $45.

This is the only Hobbit set i have actually opened and built for my collection (Wave 3 might change that with the Smaug set). It looks great on display, and the detail inside is amazing. I don't see too much appeal in the other sets personally, but this is probably because i have more attachment to the LOTR trilogy growing up with them and all. Obviously some of the other sets will still do ok since people will need all the dwarves and whatnot.

As Beartrapper said this set can be themed/played to be from either of the films which helps it's value even more depending on who enjoys which series more. Gandalf Arrives fits with the set perfectly as well :D

I have no doubt this will be a winner, not experienced enough to predict it's % increase, but definitely one to invest in IMO!

• Like 1

Best Hobbit set, easily.

I think these The Hobbit sets will be hit & miss in the aftermarket. Unexpected gathering is a lovely set though, the only thing that might happen is that this might stick around across all three films, as it's so iconic.

In terms of the rest of the sets, I much prefer LOTR to The Hobbit sets. No other real stand out ones for me.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Best Hobbit set, easily.

I think these The Hobbit sets will be hit & miss in the aftermarket. Unexpected gathering is a lovely set though, the only thing that might happen is that this might stick around across all three films, as it's so iconic.

In terms of the rest of the sets, I much prefer LOTR to The Hobbit sets. No other real stand out ones for me.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

they dont seem to be holding onto sets for that long, especially it being a smaller price point. I can see tower of orthanc staying around for many years but unexpected gathering will disappear when they next series comes out.

• 1 month later...

I have been keeping an eye on Unexpected Gathering for a while, mostly because of the good reviews (almost) everywhere and the high investment ratings here on BP (which sound right to me).

But where I live at least 2 Walmart's have been placing this on clearance for $49 for months without selling many.

Two months ago I came to one store that had 7 on the Clearance aisle. Today I dropped by the same store and saw that they still had 5. The Walmart app shows that the other local store still has them on clearance, but I don't know how many.

Given all the positives (investment-wise or play-wise):

- It's a good set

- Good minifigs (I don't follow this so correct me if I'm wrong)

- It's the first scene in the first Hobbit movie, very memorable

- It appeared in both LOTR and Hobbit

- Both Hobbit and LOTR are big, successful franchise that have large and young fan base

- The Hobbit's following is probably at it's peak right now, with the recent release of the second movie

So why the slow sale? I know it's slow time of the year but only a few other sets are on clearance: a City set, a Galaxy Squad, a few TMNT, etc. Among those only 79003 had been there since the last time I was there.

Am I missing something?

79003_box.jpg

Yeah, i saw about close to 20 at one walmart on clearance as well as some other Hobbit sets. They just aren't selling. I think in the long run the Lord of the Rings sets will do better than Hobbit. Personally, Hobbit doesn't have the scope that LotR did. Unless they do more sets based on LotR, my interest in this line is done.

I see a second Black Pearl in this set.  Even though it has experienced some major discounts, I can almost guarantee that people will be kicking themselves for not buying more of these.  This is a very iconic place in both The Hobbit and LOTR.  There are five exclusive minifigs, and with it being so iconic, I cannot see someone losing money on it.

• Like 6