Dino - general discussion

deanearp

I wouldn't buy either the T-Rex Hunter of Triceratops Trapper at retail for investment purposes.  Both have been retired for a few months, and while the T-Rex Hunter shows some growth, I'm not bullish on it - it's got a long way to go to make it a strong investment.  Save your money and invest in something else.

That said, my son has both and loves them.  They're really cool toys.

I was looking at 5887 - Dino Defense HQ and 5888 which was a TRU exclusive.

I've gotten rid of most of my Dino sets already.  I bought all of mine at half price on clearance, so I just doubled-up and dumped the cash into something else.

I did the same thing. I cleaned out 4 Walmarts on Dec 26th of last year and sold most of them that week for a good profit. I think this theme will continue to do well and if you can get them at 50% off you'll be able to make a profit. They probably aren't going to be long time performers though so buy, flip and buy something else!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I had luck and got through the last half year 3 complete Bundles of the sets 5882 till 5887 at clearance, plus one 5888.

Now I would like to know, what do you think is the best way to sell them? And also, what do you think I could get for all these sets?

I think I will sell one Bundle as full bundle! But so maybe the price isn't as good as sold every set separately.

So I think the second bundle I could sell every set separately for more money.

The third bundle I think I would hold on for a while.

Whats your opinion about that, and what do you think could be the price for every set of this series?

Next thing is I saw on amazon, bricklink etc. that the 5888 is a very rare one, but why?

Luckily I got one at clearance on toysrus online.

Maybe here are some guys who wants the sets so badly that I could sell them to you!?

So let me know.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Christian

• 1 month later...
Guest eightbrick

Dino is the #1 theme in terms of CAGR currently with a average CAGR of over 60% (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/cagrbytheme.cfm). Am I the only one surprised by this? The way the sets were clearanced last Christmas I thought they were gonna be stinkers. What did I know. The money is back in action themes again!

Congrats to all you who stocked up! I'm just glad I got some for myself  :yes:

*sorry for necropost*

Dino is the #1 theme in terms of CAGR currently with a average CAGR of over 60% (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/cagrbytheme.cfm). Am I the only one surprised by this? The way the sets were clearanced last Christmas I thought they were gonna be stinkers. What did I know. The money is back in action themes again!

Congrats to all you who stocked up! I'm just glad I got some for myself  :yes:

*sorry for necropost*

Thanks for the update. Now I regret getting some of these Dino sets at 30%-50% off last year.

It really is amazing how many people assume that just because something is clearanced that it reduces it's investment potential. 
I was surprised at the increase when I looked at the overall themes the other day but then again it also had a shorter production run as well. As we are seeing, shorter production run sets tend to bounce up quicker in value.... something that could lend well to the Lone Ranger

• Like 2

It really is amazing how many people assume that just because something is clearanced that it reduces it's investment potential. 

I was surprised at the increase when I looked at the overall themes the other day but then again it also had a shorter production run as well. As we are seeing, shorter production run sets tend to bounce up quicker in value.... something that could lend well to the Lone Ranger

Hmmm, Westerns or Dinosaur movies...I'd have to say that the Dinos take this one.

Also, why is clearance a negative thing - in some market, somewhere, at some time, I think almost all lines have a few clearance sets.

Also, would you buy the Triceratops at CAN retail?  I'm talking $64.99 + 13% tax...sometimes I'm tempted, but I don't know what ceiling this set has.

Also, would you buy the Triceratops at CAN retail?  I'm talking $64.99 + 13% tax...sometimes I'm tempted, but I don't know what ceiling this set has.

I bought one at 20% off recently. With tax came to $55. It was the last one and figured it to be a good buy. For $10 more though I`m not sure. Dinosaurs are big among kids, not as big as Ninjago/Batman/Marvel, I`ll admit, but it`s not a small thing. I`d say the only danger in buying today would be if another theme is released in the next couple years. Jurassic Park 4 is coming, and while Lego does not hold the license, they are free to release their own themes such as this one again. Aside from that, they are solid investments, as the 60% CAGR have proved. Honestly though, unless you wouldn`t mind ending up with some yourself, I`d say put the money into something else. SuperHeroes are retiring a bit at a time, and I think we all know how there value will react shorty....

I know, I know.  I'm scouring the web right now looking for any kind of promo code or coupon I can use.  I'd jump at 20% off.

Seems unlikely we'll get more Dino's this year (at least I haven't heard any rumors) so I still think there is potential for Xmas 2014 profits. 

Hmmm, Westerns or Dinosaur movies...I'd have to say that the Dinos take this one.

Also, why is clearance a negative thing - in some market, somewhere, at some time, I think almost all lines have a few clearance sets.

Oh Dinos certainly have more appeal, it was more that about the shorter run. 

I am not sure why people see clearance as a bad thing.... the original Batman Tumbler set was clearanced here (kicking myself over and over on that one). Stores do not care what a set's investment potential may be, they want to clear the shelves for the next themes and waves. 

As for the triceratops, it depends what your market is like but the set is on it's upwards spike right now with prices jumping. I know here it is selling at around $100, so I would still say buy, but that is knowing what I could get for it here. 

Oh Dinos certainly have more appeal, it was more that about the shorter run. 

I am not sure why people see clearance as a bad thing.... the original Batman Tumbler set was clearanced here (kicking myself over and over on that one). Stores do not care what a set's investment potential may be, they want to clear the shelves for the next themes and waves. 

As for the triceratops, it depends what your market is like but the set is on it's upwards spike right now with prices jumping. I know here it is selling at around $100, so I would still say buy, but that is knowing what I could get for it here. 

Clearnce can be a good or bad thing depending on the set. Dino sets on clearance is an amazing thing to find because of how valuable they are. Atlantis, Toy Story, Prince of Persia, etc on clearance is bad because no one wants them. The shorter run is a main reason why the Dino sets are where they are right now. Take a look at the MF Zombies set. That set was on the market for about 3-4 months and it was available exclusively at Target and Lego. With that limited of a availability and the short life span if the set, the value of the set is about triple its MSRP which was $39.99.

It is very rare clearance is a bad thing. Even the Toy Story sets you mentioned could be found heavily clearanced and they have made a resurgence. Most sets and themes will get a clearance at some stage somewhere.

That is very true. There have been many sets across many themes being clearance after Xmas. There was some SW, LOTR, Hobbit, Galaxy Squad, City, TMNT, and a lot more that were clearanced. No matter what, they will be clearanced because retailers need to clear the stock of certain themes and sets to make room for the newer sets.

I love the Dino sets. I had one of each until I recently found out that my teenage son had a party and decided it was "cool" to hand out my sets as party favors. Grrrr...

Apparently the Dino sets and a few Star Wars sets were popular. I need to replace them now. Er, HE needs to replace them for me.

Didn't many of the Harry Potter sets hit clearance and/or lingered on shelves for quite a while? How about the first wave of Spongebob Squarepants and only wave with two sets for Avatar? Now look at where those are in terms of value. I can see to a degree how finding something on clearance (especially a heavy one) could seem like a bad investment but not everything sells well everywhere. If that were true then Captain America's Avenging Cycle should have been a terrible investment considering how low many people bought it for. It still shocks me hearing how low LowestFormOfWit could buy just about any Lego going from what he posted (when he did). Finding a Helm's Deep for $60 or less? Damn, wish I was that lucky.

I love the Dino sets. I had one of each until I recently found out that my teenage son had a party and decided it was "cool" to hand out my sets as party favors. Grrrr...

If I pulled that stunt, my mother would have kicked my ass then ground it. Er, sorry about what happened. Ouch.

Didn't many of the Harry Potter sets hit clearance and/or lingered on shelves for quite a while? How about the first wave of Spongebob Squarepants and only wave with two sets for Avatar? Now look at where those are in terms of value. I can see to a degree how finding something on clearance (especially a heavy one) could seem like a bad investment but not everything sells well everywhere. If that were true then Captain America's Avenging Cycle should have been a terrible investment considering how low many people bought it for. It still shocks me hearing how low LowestFormOfWit could buy just about any Lego going from what he posted (when he did). Finding a Helm's Deep for $60 or less? Damn, wish I was that lucky.

Pirates of the Caribbean? I heard over and over how nothing was worth buying into (including the ships) as they were discounted. Nearly everything will hit a clearance. As soon as things get a Retired Soon tag or be discontinued.....panic begins. Amazing how people thought nothing of the Cap set and it is absolutely soaring.

Emazers actually said it best in one of the earlier threads I read of his. People wait for clearance or ludicrous sales and sometimes they miss out. Getting sets 30-50% off, and should it rise to 50-100% increase in retail price means a fantastic return. Not everything will rise as sharply as it has in the past but there will still be plenty of rises, especially with Lego looking at shorter production runs. 

Oh and back to Cap, those sets have hit the $50 mark here. Not bad considering the prices they could be found at.