41058 - Heartlake Shopping Mall

wholovesboo

Thought we could start a thread on the latest big Friends set. Especially regarding the speculation that it will/won't do well this Xmas.

I'm still undecided on this one. I had a lot of luck with the Dolphin Cruiser last Xmas, but the HL Shopping Mall is a higher price point and a much bigger box (shipping hassle!).

On a related note, I noticed that Mattel just put out a shopping mall playset for Barbie...the Malibu Mall (TRU says it's their exclusive). When it rains, it pours, I guess. For a while there were a couple of cruise ships (Barbie, Hello Kitty, etc.) that came on the scene right around the time the Dolphin Cruiser came out.

My hold-up on this one is the price point. Are parents going to be willing to pay the reseller's price? This would need to essentially hit the $145-160 range to even consider flipping. And I don't think these are going to fly off the shelf at that price. I'm going to try a couple, but I'm a little nervous.

My hold-up on this one is the price point. Are parents going to be willing to pay the reseller's price? This would need to essentially hit the $145-160 range to even consider flipping. And I don't think these are going to fly off the shelf at that price. I'm going to try a couple, but I'm a little nervous.

If/when retailers sell out this set should easily hit $150. If you bought in at $70 or less you'll make a few bucks. I have three bought around $65. My biggest concern is possible returns if they become available again and the parent buys at retail and decides to return the eBay purchase.

I am not feeling this one so far. it is bit early, but I agree with the previous posters , price point and too many friends set makes this iffy . I'm thinking DC will out perform the mall this year, but that's just a hunch .

Dont u think that DC can be a nice substitute for parents this year again, instead if the Shopping Mall. Its cheaper ;) and kids love it also

This thing is just so....big. Perhaps 'too big to fail'? :pardon: I don't know about the set selling out of stores for this year but I can see it making a good long term buy. The $110 retail is an awful large price tag but having such a big sticker price in the first place could help in getting a potential future buyer have less hesitation getting stuck paying significantly more than that like let's say daddy paying twice the original price to make his little girl happy one Christmas day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just noticed red Sold Out here in the US but other major retailers still have it in stock. Anyone know if this was recent or has it been this way for a while? I have an opportunity to get some at about 35% off and was wondering if it's a good investment or not.

Edit: I just noticed the last post on this thread was back in Dec 2014! I thought it said 2015 at first glance.

Edited by oneknightr

17 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I just noticed red Sold Out here in the US but other major retailers still have it in stock. Anyone know if this was recent or has it been this way for a while? I have an opportunity to get some at about 35% off and was wondering if it's a good investment or not.

Edit: I just noticed the last post on this thread was back in Dec 2014! I thought it said 2015 at first glance.

41058 is already officially Retired in Europe. So IMO the Sold Out status in the US is just the last stage before Retirement there.

18 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

I personally would only bite at 50% off on this one.

You will be leaving money on the table.  This set will make money within 12-18 months even if purchased at MSRP.  Granted, profits will be higher at 50% off, but this is a lock to increase after retirement.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2016 at 9:45 AM, redcell said:

You will be leaving money on the table.  This set will make money within 12-18 months even if purchased at MSRP.  Granted, profits will be higher at 50% off, but this is a lock to increase after retirement.

Since i'm new to this game can you explain the reasoning behind this set becoming valuable. I have a collector mindset rather than investor mindset which appears to be limiting my potential. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Basictoaster said:

Since i'm new to this game can you explain the reasoning behind this set becoming valuable. I have a collector mindset rather than investor mindset which appears to be limiting my potential. 

It's big, bang for your buck, less likely to be replicated.  Some say profiting from one big set is easier than profiting from 5 smaller sets.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

It's big, bang for your buck, less likely to be replicated.  Some say profiting from one big set is easier than profiting from 5 smaller sets.

I get that its not likely to be replicated but I just don't see a target market for this 12-18 months down the road. The parents with the money who would typically purchase this for their daughter are more inclined to buy the new sets vs inflated prices of this set. I get that there are potential buyers other than parents but I feel that its such a small niche group that its not worth the risk. 

• Like 1

I get that its not likely to be replicated but I just don't see a target market for this 12-18 months down the road. The parents with the money who would typically purchase this for their daughter are more inclined to buy the new sets vs inflated prices of this set. I get that there are potential buyers other than parents but I feel that its such a small niche group that its not worth the risk. 

You are entitled to feel however you want to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Basictoaster said:

I don't get it either, but there's Friends sets from the past that have done really well and hopefully it's not just because it was the first wave.
Sets like Olivia's house were had for $40ish, now selling $100+. Heartlake High, Sunshine Ranch, a couple recently retired and on the rise.

As a house of only boys and and a rack full of purple and pink already, I'm a bit skeptical in buying any more sets that we have no desire in ourselves. However, bought at the right price, I don't see any Friends set being a loss.

• Like 4