Minecraft 2014

TheOrcKing

Well, it seems that on Friday we'll be seeing some "cool stuff" from Max! I hope it is Steve's shelter, but may be something else as well, we may also see some new item molds, recently we saw the axe they're making, so maybe a hoe or pickaxe will be next, as we have already seen the sword. We may also see some new mobs also, but that's just my speculation.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures of both the sets 21113, The Cave, and 21114, The Farm, have been leaked. It is not known if these are simply preliminary models or ones that are pretty much completed and small changes could be made. Via The Brick Fan.

On one hand I am fairly certain those are still in the "we're working on it" stage but then again Minecraft is simple in appearance. Not 8-bit simple but close. I have to say for myself I somewhat like the sets for having lots of simple bricks plus featureless minifigure torsos & legs as they are very reminiscent of classic sets but far as 'builds' go these are just too simple. I can't say they remind me much of Minecraft at all and nowhere near the small sets do honestly.

im um er ugh I don't know what to think of this? One thing I know for sure is I like the other minecraft sets much better. Secondly in a weird way I do hope these are the completed versions...that way I can save money by not buying them.

See, at the end of the day, this will be GREAT for kids, especially the ones who live right near a LEGO store and can easily pick up a ton of 2 by Xs for fairly cheap and just expand the sets, so it's good for that.

But on the other side of things, it looks almost too simple, and some colors are just not right, example, the gate and fences should be a tan color, not a brown, it's closer to a tan in the game, or heck, even a dark tan would have been best.

All and all, I'm impressed with the progress that has been made, but it isn't enough to make want to get every set yet, these feel like just more expensive Junior sets, but then again whatever way could they have done it?

Like everyone else said, I thought The Farm and The Cave were bleh.  The First Night looks better from a playability perspective, but is still kinda bleh.  The Mine is the first set I've seen so far that I thought, oh that's kinda cool...  If I had to get only one, that's the one that I would get.  And seeing that one, I can see how they would integrate The Cave with The Mine...

All in all though I'd probably still pass on it.

The microworld sets are kind of cute and a nice blend of Lego with Minecraft but these larger scale builds (official or not) just feel like the same generic stuff you can find in those bland brick buckets filled with parts. Maybe on that notion these can make a more interesting 'brick bucket' as you can construct something a little more specific yet still go your own way. Still, there isn't anything here that catches my eye and at best I kind of like the Skeleton but unless there is some exclusive brick or I happen to need a bulk lot of bulky bricks, I won't buy these especially when considering everything else more impressive or at least slightly intriguing on the market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...