76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

this is not mine listing.. anyways.. sold like 3 hrs ago on ebay.co.uk for this price. There WAS NO "best offer" available in the original listings. So its legit.. also that guy had 2 sets and first sold for the same price on January 7, 2018

image.png.4a3dc7d1cb0c1a0bb4ae1bb027ab770d.png

Doesn't necessarily means it legit. There are plenty of highly priced items that sell only to find the buyer is a scammer that wants to to dispatch to a suspect address etc. They will generally use BIN and won't mess around with offers etc. I had two instances before Xmas where this happened. I'm not saying this is the case here, but on the flip side don't believe everything you see on eBay. Generally if you are trying to gauge what a set is worth, look at the last half a dozen sold listings. There will always be chancers out there, some are listing Pet Shops for £300!! All it needs is one scammer to buy it and it messes with the figures!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

So after fees and costs you break even assuming you bought RRP. If it hits £400 then it gets a bit interesting, but not until then

More or less the same as Tumbler 2 years after! One would assume it was bought much cheaper - mine cost 200 so I´ll sell gladly sell if it reaches 400 as it is hard to see it going higher.

This is probably the one large set I  wish I had bought a few more of when they were 225 at tru.

To me this is the Marvel holy grail set and I can see it doing very well. It's basically the Marvel equivalent of the deathstar (large build, iconic, central in several Marvel films) but without the 8 year production life and re-release.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

This could be another Tumbler, glad I didn't buy as meagre UK discounts. RRP after fees by year end? ;-)

No chance. There will not be another Tumbler for quite a few years until people forget it happened. That was the perfect storm of Lego investment studies in main stream media, a well advertised retirement and the rogue Smyths stock.

This disappeared relatively quickly and quietly.  So quickly I got caught out waiting for a final discount offer before it disappeared.

If anything, Tumbler will help this set along with Pet Shop as people got massively turned off big box sets due to overhoarding in the past 2 years. 

No chance. There will not be another Tumbler for quite a few years until people forget it happened. That was the perfect storm of Lego investment studies in main stream media, a well advertised retirement and the rogue Smyths stock.
This disappeared relatively quickly and quietly.  So quickly I got caught out waiting for a final discount offer before it disappeared.
If anything, Tumbler will help this set along with Pet Shop as people got massively turned off big box sets due to overhoarding in the past 2 years. 

Can still be picked up from some TRU and John Lewis

12 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Does the Hulk live locally to you?

I actually earned that nickname at a place I worked previously. I was sat at my desk having a bit of a stretch and managed to rip my shirt right down the middle of  my back lol.

I think the box damage is most likely to have been done by little toe-rags wandering round not properly supervised by parents. 

This is why I like the fact that Smyths Toys puts their big box Lego sets high up, well out of little Timmys reach.

• Like 1

I actually earned that nickname at a place I worked previously. I was sat at my desk having a bit of a stretch and managed to rip my shirt right down the middle of  my back lol.
I think the box damage is most likely to have been done by little toe-rags wandering round not properly supervised by parents. 
This is why I like the fact that Smyths Toys puts their big box Lego sets high up, well out of little Timmys reach.

Yep, I’ve seen a number of little fockers making mince meat of mint boxes on a number of expensive sets. Really tempted to give them a clip around the back of the head. Lego also don’t help themselves by having the interactive 3D holo gimmick where you take a box off the shelf and hold it against a screen to show a crappy hologram. This accounts for a number of bashed up boxes on the shelves

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Funnily enough my local Smyths has started putting there expensive sets (DS, Slaves etc) within a massive glass cabinet under lock and key !! Obviously they've worked out Reseller Scum won't touch sets that don't have mint boxes !! ;o)

4 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

This is probably the one large set I  wish I had bought a few more of when they were 225 at tru.

To me this is the Marvel holy grail set and I can see it doing very well. It's basically the Marvel equivalent of the deathstar (large build, iconic, central in several Marvel films) but without the 8 year production life and re-release.

I think it is a big stretch to call this iconic.  I am a pretty big Marvel fan and I chose to skip this. That is the big downfall of the super hero line.  It is all about the figures.  Comics don't have many iconic ships/building etc. 

5 minutes ago, stackables said:

I think it is a big stretch to call this iconic.  I am a pretty big Marvel fan and I chose to skip this. That is the big downfall of the super hero line.  It is all about the figures.  Comics don't have many iconic ships/building etc. 

That's the thing though, you are a Marvel comics fan. There's a whole generation who are just fans of Marvel films/TV Series and those are the ones who seem to drive demand in the aftermarket. 

I love Marvel, but there was no way I'd pick this up for $350.  I was very lucky and managed to get a used one in fantastic shape yesterday for $150.  After seeing it in person, it's an amazing set and I think it will do well once scarcity starts driving up demand.  Also, like @Fenix_2k1 mentioned, I don't see this one getting re-released as often as some other large sets do.

• 2 years later...