76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

8 hours ago, Rimmit said:

I would have to respectfully disagree.   I saw the movie once and don't even remember what a quinjet is.  Or maybe a quinjet is from the marvel cartoons. Either way, I would say I am a pretty big sci-fi geek.  I see almost every sci-fi action flick, have collected a long time, listen to sci-fi movie score soundtracks and I am not too familiar with the quinjet.

Lack of familiarity, lack of an iconic nature would kill the quinjet.  The Hellicarrier is something that everyone remembers the first time you see that in the movie.

Have you watched agents of shield? Quinjet is featured quite prominently. Age of ultron movie also has quite a bit of quinjet screen time.

Personally i dont like steam punk which tries to use retro technology in scifi setting, which is what helicarrier is about too.

3 hours ago, chipbee said:

Have you watched agents of shield? Quinjet is featured quite prominently. Age of ultron movie also has quite a bit of quinjet screen time.

I think you just proved my point.  I do not watch Agents of Shield and neither does the vast majority of the United States, as the most recent ratings were rather abysmal.  

Also screen time does not equal Iconicity (if that's even a word).  An emotional attachment to a vehicle is not based on screen time, but uniqueness and how the plot and the character's interact with it.  For example: The Millennium Falcon - Han Solo and Chewbacca have a truly sincere attachment to that ship.  They care as much about that ship as each other.  Another example - The Enterprise - Captain Kirk is in near tears when his ship goes down in Star Trek III.  The Imperial Shuttle - Nothing can replace the Imperial March playing and seeing Darth Vader walk off the shuttle.  It is just an iconic memory.  The Quinjet if you polled the general population would have no recollection of what that is, where as the Starship Enterprise and MF, I would wager at least a reasonable amount of people would know the ships.

Would a UCS Quintet sell?  Yes, it most likely would.  Would it appreciate significantly EOL?   Not likely.  At least not enough to make a reasonable amount of cash.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimmit said:

I think you just proved my point.  I do not watch Agents of Shield and neither does the vast majority of the United States, as the most recent ratings were rather abysmal.  

Also screen time does not equal Iconicity (if that's even a word).  An emotional attachment to a vehicle is not based on screen time, but uniqueness and how the plot and the character's interact with it.  For example: The Millennium Falcon - Han Solo and Chewbacca have a truly sincere attachment to that ship.  They care as much about that ship as each other.  Another example - The Enterprise - Captain Kirk is in near tears when his ship goes down in Star Trek III.  The Imperial Shuttle - Nothing can replace the Imperial March playing and seeing Darth Vader walk off the shuttle.  It is just an iconic memory.  The Quinjet if you polled the general population would have no recollection of what that is, where as the Starship Enterprise and MF, I would wager at least a reasonable amount of people would know the ships.

Would a UCS Quintet sell?  Yes, it most likely would.  Would it appreciate significantly EOL?   Not likely.  At least not enough to make a reasonable amount of cash.  

I pretty much feel the same about the ship itself and it's importance in the Marvel Universe.   I don't own any as I'm not a fan.  Something (my gut) tells me this set is going to do well in retirement due to the size and design.  It might not have the initial price "pop" but it should have steady appreciation.  

1 hour ago, Rimmit said:

You can't base judgement on pop culture simply by looking at sample size of 1, namely yourself. Take a look at tv ratings for agent of shield. It also has a huge international following going by global torrent downloads.

And i am very sure less than 50% of people in the world watched star wars. So does it mean star wars is a flop?

2 hours ago, chipbee said:

You can't base judgement on pop culture simply by looking at sample size of 1, namely yourself. Take a look at tv ratings for agent of shield. It also has a huge international following going by global torrent downloads.

And i am very sure less than 50% of people in the world watched star wars. So does it mean star wars is a flop?

(I agree with you except about the blasphemy of less than 50% of people in the world watched Star Wars ;))

I agree the emotional attachment to something plays a large part in being willing to pay a higher price, but you don't necessarily need an emotional attachment to just that one thing to want it. If you have an attachment to the entire series, then your desire to collect it all goes way up. For example, I am a big trekkie but I have no emotional attachment to a Romulan Warbird or a Klingon Bird of Prey. BUT if LEGO (had ever had the license) made UCS sets for the Enterprise, Warbird and BoP you can bet your bottom dollar I'd collect them all emotions and wallet be damned.

The Quinjet has a mostly forgettable role in these TV shows and films, but if you're a fan, you know what they are. Just as you know the important role the Helicarrier and Globemaster play. You'd want to collect them all.... What's my point? For me, it's one-offs. One offs as a collectible don't draw my interest like a series of collectibles would. To me what makes LEGO Star Wars UCS sets so desirable is that there are so many to collect...

And the overall point of my reply - there are many different reasons why people collect and it's pretty much impossible to know them all. Claiming to know the one single reason why people collect something is rather silly and short-sighted. Using the reason you collect (or other collectors you know) to base buying decisions on is sound advice.

11 hours ago, chipbee said:

I wasn't basing it off a sample size of 1. I was basing it off Nielsen ratings which indicated only 4 million people in the US watch the show.  While not a flop, it isn't blazing the ratings.  It's not so much that you need 50% of the world to watch something to be a success or a flop.  What it needs a is a rabid following, and to become mainstream. Typically one of the best indications of this is merchandising as fans of a show want to buy stuff that is centered around the show.

The most recent Star Wars film has grossed 900 million in the us. With an average Movie ticket price of 8.61 (Per the Hollywood reporter), that was 104,529,616 tickets sold. Many of these were likely repeat viewings so lets say 90,000,000 million people watched TFA.  That is significantly more than 4 million.  That is the US Alone.  Even accounting for torrent downloads, etc. Star Wars would crush Agents of Shield.  My point is Agents of Shield is not exactly what I would call a "Mainstream Show."  The average person does not go to a water cooler and talk about Agents of Shield, I also anecdotally do not see Agents of Shield Merchandise everywhere.  There is some, but it's no Game of Thrones, Lost (at it peak) or Star Wars, Batman, where I can't walk into a store and see at least some merchandise.  It doesn't even come up in casual conversation in daily life.  When I walk into the comic stores in my area (I realize that is a small regional sample) I see Hunger Games, BTTF, Turtles, Star Wars, Marvel, Batman, Superman, Legos, Dr. Who.  I might see one or two Funko Pop Agent of Shields figure.  While it may have a larger international following than here in the US, it still doesn't have that mainstream appeal and definitely not the merchandising appeal at least in the US.  I see you are from Singapore, so maybe it is huge in Singapore.  I haven't been there in a while so I have no idea what the Singapore market is like regarding Agents of Shield?  Is there a huge following there?  Is there massive amounts of merchandise?  If so please let us know, as this would be a great way to get ahead of the Horde as most of us in the US do not have a good feel for the international market.  It tends to mirror the US Market typically to some degree but can vary.

Terminator Genysis did well overseas but poorly in the US.   Maybe I missed the Agents of Shield boat, but clearly the stores do not believe it to be a hot piece of merchandise given the amount of stuff you can buy here in the US... or maybe it's all sold out. Who knows?

8 hours ago, gregpj said:

(I agree with you except about the blasphemy of less than 50% of people in the world watched Star Wars ;))

I agree the emotional attachment to something plays a large part in being willing to pay a higher price, but you don't necessarily need an emotional attachment to just that one thing to want it. If you have an attachment to the entire series, then your desire to collect it all goes way up. For example, I am a big trekkie but I have no emotional attachment to a Romulan Warbird or a Klingon Bird of Prey. BUT if LEGO (had ever had the license) made UCS sets for the Enterprise, Warbird and BoP you can bet your bottom dollar I'd collect them all emotions and wallet be damned.

The Quinjet has a mostly forgettable role in these TV shows and films, but if you're a fan, you know what they are. Just as you know the important role the Helicarrier and Globemaster play. You'd want to collect them all.... What's my point? For me, it's one-offs. One offs as a collectible don't draw my interest like a series of collectibles would. To me what makes LEGO Star Wars UCS sets so desirable is that there are so many to collect...

And the overall point of my reply - there are many different reasons why people collect and it's pretty much impossible to know them all. Claiming to know the one single reason why people collect something is rather silly and short-sighted. Using the reason you collect (or other collectors you know) to base buying decisions on is sound advice.

I agree it isn't entirely about emotional attachment. However, for a set to reach the heights of 10179 or a Taj, it has to appeal to as many people as possible, and cause someone to want it bad enough to pay whatever it takes.  I completely agree that many people collect to complete a series, however, series completion can drive prices up, and so can emotion, nostalgia, etc.  It takes a perfect storm for prices to reach epic proportions.  There is no way a Quinjet would ever fetch a price higher than the Hellicarrier as most people just wouldn't know it from a random sci-fi jet. 

I agree one-offs aren't as appealing to many people as there is no collection, however, there are many people out there that would skip everything in a series, and only buy that one iconic item, or just a couple that appeal to them.  The point is that, just cause something is a series, does not mean everything in the series will do well. The most popular items will always do the best, with the rarer pieces in a series coming in close second, and actually in rare cases actually exceeding the popular items.    The UCS line is a classic example.  The most popular ships do the best, even though some of the older kits are rarer.  Emotional attachment to a series can definitely drive sales, however, for the most part that is not what causes a set to break away from the pack.

I use a vast array of knowledge, I and all of my friends who have been heavy collecting since the mid 1990's to base my decisions.  I definitely do not use my N of 1 to base my decisions.  In all honesty, while have my CEO rule (see my other posts), I also have a MY WIFE rule.  If my wife knows what it Is (She is not a scifi geek and hadn't seen ANY of the star wars movies till they came out on bluray a couple years ago) then I know that that Lego Set has a high probability of doing well.   Why?  Because it is mainstream enough for a total chick flick girl, who can barely identify the USS Enterprise vs an Imperial Star Destroyer in a line up to identify it, then it is pretty mainstream.  It's a total slam dunk if the set passes the CEO rule as well.

For the record I am a bigger Trekkie than I am a Star Wars fan by far.  Sadly, the Enterprise has only been made in Mega Bloks and it was the D. I owned that set and was not that impressed. Mega Bloks is about to release a UCS Level Original Enterprise.  I can only dream that lego could acquire the license for Star Trek.  It would never do as well as Star Wars, and sales would likely be poor while the sets were out.  The aftermarket would be insane, however.  I as well would buy EVERY SHIP that came out.  I have been subscribed to the Star Trek Starships by Eaglemoss collection since before they started releasing the ships.  I owned ALL the Star Trek Micromachines.  I own all the Art Asylum Ships since they started producing them in 2000. I own all the playmates ships which are of terrible quality and garbage, IMO.  However, I only display a select few. The ones I display interestingly enough always seemed to be the ones that appreciated the best.  At least until Art Asylum rereleases them which is something they have a bad habit of doing.

Long story short, is I completely agree with you.  There is no one reason why someone collects something.  Ultimately, in order to make money in this business you have to guess what someone will want bad enough to pay a ridiculous amount of money once that item is no longer being sold in stores, and the reasons are many.  Luckily, there are at least some basic trends.

Edited by Rimmit
  • Like 1

i have a few... not hoarded? time will tell. But i do think any investor have to stash a few. It should do very well. If you don't have SOH i would also take a few but could be a slow growth.

If they do some other marvel UCS, this will be good for the first one, thats for sure. If they don't... meh, i am a collector too, and I would be pissed off if it was the only one.

Same about the UCS DC brand. Yeah there is that old batmobile from 2007-2008 i think. But tumblers is really awsome, and not having anything else do go with... meh.

If they do a bunch of superheroes UCS in the few next year.. the first will perform beyond our belief.

51 minutes ago, glucapg said:

So, do I've to buy a pair of 76042 or not??

Trust yourself. don't trust nobody hahaha

Edited by TargetZero

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 3:37 PM, TargetZero said:

i have a few... not hoarded? time will tell. But i do think any investor have to stash a few. It should do very well. If you don't have SOH i would also take a few but could be a slow growth.

If they do some other marvel UCS, this will be good for the first one, thats for sure. If they don't... meh, i am a collector too, and I would be pissed off if it was the only one.

Same about the UCS DC brand. Yeah there is that old batmobile from 2007-2008 i think. But tumblers is really awsome, and not having anything else do go with... meh.

If they do a bunch of superheroes UCS in the few next year.. the first will perform beyond our belief.

Trust yourself. don't trust nobody hahaha

I personally have a hard time thinking of many iconic marvel or DC vehicles (besides versions of the batmobile) that would justify a USC treatment. Granted I'm not a super comic follower anymore but I do have about 2000 comic books in storage from the early 90s. Wonder Woman's jet? A play set for Superman's Fortress of Solitude? Anyone have any good ideas for Marvel or DC USC sets??

3 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

I personally have a hard time thinking of many iconic marvel or DC vehicles (besides versions of the batmobile) that would justify a USC treatment. Granted I'm not a super comic follower anymore but I do have about 2000 comic books in storage from the early 90s. Wonder Woman's jet? A play set for Superman's Fortress of Solitude? Anyone have any good ideas for Marvel or DC USC sets??

X-men blackbird?

edit:captain America's motor cycle, Milano and goblin glider

Edited by Seeyounexttuesday

I think a 3 car UCS collection of the really iconic Batmobiles would be great. 

60's TV Series version & Michael Keaton Batmobile to go alongside the Tumbler would be awesome. 

I've bought and built the Helicarrier and think it's fantastic, especially with power functions.  The only disappointing thing for me was the printed runway tiles which aren't straight.

Not sure how well they'll do post retirement as they don't seem to sell that well. My local tru must have had 20 on the shelves when I bought mine in Jan and that's with a £30 discount. 

If they go onto a real offer I might pick up a couple but the lack of popularity makes me nervous, then again that could increase rarity post retirement and when the younger marvel fans finally get to an age of expendable income you could be quids in. 

• 6 months later...
And it still hasnt been sold in Singapore since i last spoke about it. Same for those modulars.

maybe Lego is just controlling the supply to Singapore, while the rest of the world still gets it fine

That would make more sense to me. Was that you, that mentioned Tumbler, Helicarrier and like three modulars last year?
  • Like 1