76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

16 minutes ago, Haay said:

The Helicarrier is on the list of sets to retire this year, according to a member from Singapore.

It's quite possible that the Helicarrier is going to be the surprise retirement of this year, going quietly out of stock and then retirement while everybody has their eyes on the sets with their "Retiring Soon" labels.

Regardless, I'm not going to put any money in the Helicarrier. Maybe 10 years from now I'll put out some grey hairs from my head, regretting I didn't get any now. But I just don't feel good about this set and the future demand for it here in Europe.

But which were the other sets the member from Singapore mentioned? He mentioned three sets... Helicarrier, X and Y. Them were not modulars if I remember correctly.

Edited by Ciglione

Correct about Tumbler retiring in 2015. Correct about PS retiring in 2016. Still remains to be seen about the Helicarrier although I think it's highly likely that it will indeed retire. 

Incorrect about PC and PR retiring this year... Either TLG changed their minds about PC and PR or that store manager was not as informed as he claimed to be.

5 minutes ago, Haay said:

Correct about Tumbler retiring in 2015. Correct about PS retiring in 2016. Still remains to be seen about the Helicarrier although I think it's highly likely that it will indeed retire. 

Incorrect about PC and PR retiring this year... Either TLG changed their minds about PC and PR or that store manager was not as informed as he claimed to be.

Or... PC and PR are selling well enough so they do not need the retiring soon tag.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Or... PC and PR are selling well enough so they do not need the retiring soon tag.

That's quite an ambiguous statement. :girlwacko:

Are they selling so well that there's no need to retire them although they were supposed to retire this year?

Or is the remaining stock from the final production run selling well enough to make the "retiring soon" label unnecessary?

• Like 1

But which were the other sets the member from Singapore mentioned? He mentioned three sets... Helicarrier, X and Y. Them were not modulars if I remember correctly.

Where did the Singapore member mention this? Must have overlooked

33 minutes ago, BP said:

Where did the Singapore member mention this? Must have overlooked

In the retiring soon - open speculation thread on the 12th of January.

38 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

That's quite an ambiguous statement. :girlwacko:

Are they selling so well that there's no need to retire them although they were supposed to retire this year?

Or is the remaining stock from the final production run selling well enough to make the "retiring soon" label unnecessary?

I think the latter.

1 hour ago, Haay said:

This Singapore member posts were way before I joined so I just went through and read them all, he was right about tumbler and that is all.

His posts about PC/PS/Helicarrier retirement was end of 2015...

I thought it was well known that Asia & Australia/NZ do not get all Lego sets, and even when they do they receive limited production runs due to their locations and do not get many re-stocks. A good example of this is that Asia/Australia did not get any of the second wave of Bionicle sets that released this year. 

If Heli-carrier does retire this year it will hardly be a shock retirement, seeing as most "exclusives" retire after 2 years this fits the bill, so where is the surprise coming from?

This set will do well once retired as it is a great build from a good movie, that being said I haven't bought any as I haven't got space for exclusives, only so many sets you can fill in a cupboard lol. 

Also alot of people make alot of claims about what sets are retiring, and when a set does retire make a big deal that they told everyone a set was retiring and noone listened to them, but I'm pretty sure most people have made alot of mistakes and only choose to highlight the sets that did retire. We should all remember that we are all pure speculators when it comes to Lego investing, this is not pure science, all we have to go on is:

- If a set is good / bad build wise

- Has exclusive minifigs

- Had a limited production run

- Based on a cult TV show / Film and will be in demand in future

- Has rare parts.

Its not like we know the production numbers or Lego has to follow a set in stone past performance = future performance.

Has anyone seen the the TV show The Wire? It an excellent show, some comments on here reminds me off the following clip:

"He rainmade you.
A guy says if you pay him, he can make it rain.
You pay him.
If and when it rains, he takes the credit.
If and when it doesn't, he finds reasons for you to pay him more.
Clay Davis rainmade you"

This isn't a personal attack to that poster btw, just me ranting on as usual. 

• Like 3

This set was only released on 15th March 2015 so it´s not yet 2. You can count the list of exclusives that retired before 2 years on  2 hands (B wing, EEE, Tumbler, HE, AA, Obi Wan, Maersk train) so it would be a surprise for it to go now, even if some predicted it before it was launched (like Tumbler)!

Edited by Val-E

13 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

This Singapore member posts were way before I joined so I just went through and read them all, he was right about tumbler and that is all.

His posts about PC/PS/Helicarrier retirement was end of 2015...

I thought it was well known that Asia & Australia/NZ do not get all Lego sets, and even when they do they receive limited production runs due to their locations and do not get many re-stocks. A good example of this is that Asia/Australia did not get any of the second wave of Bionicle sets that released this year. 

If Heli-carrier does retire this year it will hardly be a shock retirement, seeing as most "exclusives" retire after 2 years this fits the bill, so where is the surprise coming from?

This set will do well once retired as it is a great build from a good movie, that being said I haven't bought any as I haven't got space for exclusives, only so many sets you can fill in a cupboard lol. 

Also alot of people make alot of claims about what sets are retiring, and when a set does retire make a big deal that they told everyone a set was retiring and noone listened to them, but I'm pretty sure most people have made alot of mistakes and only choose to highlight the sets that did retire. We should all remember that we are all pure speculators when it comes to Lego investing, this is not pure science, all we have to go on is:

- If a set is good / bad build wise

- Has exclusive minifigs

- Had a limited production run

- Based on a cult TV show / Film and will be in demand in future

- Has rare parts.

Its not like we know the production numbers or Lego has to follow a set in stone past performance = future performance.

Has anyone seen the the TV show The Wire? It an excellent show, some comments on here reminds me off the following clip:

"He rainmade you.
A guy says if you pay him, he can make it rain.
You pay him.
If and when it rains, he takes the credit.
If and when it doesn't, he finds reasons for you to pay him more.
Clay Davis rainmade you"

This isn't a personal attack to that poster btw, just me ranting on as usual. 

Ofcourse many here (including me) are searching for the next TH. The next surprise retirement. Cause many sets which retired on schedule lately did not perform very well. 

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I wasn't very cryptic about the Town Hall either. This set is a slow seller, takes up space, and is disappearing from retailers. We are also heading into prime retiring season. Some positive signs for a possible EOL.

It´s not the only large exclusive that was a day 1 buy for the real fans but has struggled since then. I think we will see this one and a couple more bite the dust and the horde won´t know where to run.

It would be good for @emazers to weigh in at this point.