76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

Wow! This looks great actually!

I guess we'll have to wait until we really get our hands on it and start building it?

Fact is, the Marvel movies are going to be here for a long time, so if all pans out and this set retires before 2018, we should be in the $$$$, right? :P

For what it is, I think it looks great and they've nailed the zone between a display piece and a play piece. Probably a home run for both Avengers fans and for investors.

All in all, though, not for me. Just not that into the Avengers. I'm too deep into Star Wars to come back.

$350 US. $400 for our neighbors to the north.

With the current exchange, $400 CAD comes to $316USD. not bad!

Not a huge Avengers fan, but i guess that's mainly because there weren't any great display pieces. I may end up getting this. Price tag is a bit high, but i won't be as tempted to open it like the Slave 1 and actually try flipping it heh.

• Like 2

For what it is, I think it looks great and they've nailed the zone between a display piece and a play piece. Probably a home run for both Avengers fans and for investors.

This...It is a set that covers all bases.  It is not exactly the SSD large UCS display set that I would have liked, but the set was not designed for me.  It offers something to everyone.  This set will do exceptionally well on every level.

• Like 1

This...It is a set that covers all bases.  It is not exactly the SSD large UCS display set that I would have liked, but the set was not designed for me.  It offers something to everyone.  This set will do exceptionally well on every level.

Somehow I believe that making this SSD-like would need at least 4000 pieces (build is more complex, has wider dimensions) which LEGO obviously won'T do with an already risky set like this, especially that it would cost around $600. I never expected anything like that from the beginning, actually this is exactly what I placed my bets on. 

Some materials are just not feasible in a true UCS fashion (would cost too much) and most of the disappointment is caused by not recognising this fact. Moreover people are already complaining that it's too pricey, this is kind of the maximum LEGO can currently expect from a non-SW set. So it is not exactly fair to compare this to the Tumbler, Slave I etc. because the base material was different. I believe LEGO did the maximum (putting Coulson aside) they can with this release.

Edited by inversion

Somehow I believe that making this SSD-like would need at least 4000 pieces (build is more complex, has wider dimensions) which LEGO obviously won'T do with an already risky set like this, especially that it would cost around $600. I never expected anything like that from the beginning, actually this is exactly what I placed my bets on. 

Some materials are just not feasible in a true UCS fashion (would cost too much) and most of the disappointment is caused by not recognising this fact. Moreover people are already complaining that it's too pricey, this is kind of the maximum LEGO can currently expect from a non-SW set. So it is not exactly fair to compare this to the Tumbler, Slave I etc. because the base material was different. I believe LEGO did the maximum (putting Coulson aside) they can with this release.

I didn't expect that either.  It was a pipe dream.  

exactly.  I think people's expectations were wayyy to high for this set.  Or any set for that matter.  The price point alone eliminates so many people from buying this set as it is.  I don't understand why people expect such ridiculous stuff from Lego?  Outside of the 10179MF, I don't think we'll see another ridiculous high price set again for a very long time.  It's nice to think we could get another one like that, but I think Lego is risking too much to produce another $500+ set.  They stand to lose too much.

I know some people hate just to hate, but this is silly.  Was the SSD this hated when it was first revealed?  Now look at it, EVERYONE loves this and wishes they had got in on it before it retired.  Sure it's a big set, but piece wise, it's pretty much the same thing.  SMH, some people.

if you like the set at $300, what's the difference in the grand scheme of things if you buy 1 for $350?  
for me, maybe i could forgo  buying lunch at wawa for 1 day per week for 2 months?

the tumbler and slave 1 each are $150 cheaper for a reason.  76042 uses larger plates and the end build is huge (far larger than than the 2 sets mentioned).

That $350 will probably keep me away from buying the set.  I can get the slave 1 and tumbler for close to that.  I like the set but not for $350.  Shame that lego still has their embargo on exclusive sets. If it was closer to $300, I would probably get it.

if you like the set at $300, what's the difference in the grand scheme of things if you buy 1 for $350?  
for me, maybe i could forgo  buying lunch at wawa for 1 day per week for 2 months?

the tumbler and slave 1 each are $150 cheaper for a reason.  76042 uses larger plates and the end build is huge (far larger than than the 2 sets mentioned).

I set a threshold for sets at $300. To go over that, the set has to be something I really want.  At this time, the set doesn't meet that requirement.