76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

You have to take into account marketing and advertising and everything else that goes into a production set like that.  I'm sure they make money on every set they sell at that price point, but at what volume would they have to sell to actually make it a worthwhile venture to make again?

Of course it depends on their profit margins.  I would suspect that their profit margins diminish as they make bigger sets to keep it relatively competitive.  I'm sure they make money hand over fist with the smaller sets than they really do with the larger sets.

With the current exchange, $400 CAD comes to $316USD. not bad!

Not a huge Avengers fan, but i guess that's mainly because there weren't any great display pieces. I may end up getting this. Price tag is a bit high, but i won't be as tempted to open it like the Slave 1 and actually try flipping it heh.

I'm guessing the price has been set for a while now. 350 vs 400 is closer in line with how the CDN dollar fared back in November 2014. What this could mean though is upcoming sets without a price could hurt a lot more - like the $399 US SSD vs $499 CDN for us,

Wow how there can be two different meanings, what I was trying to say and what Orc King read it as. ROFL

What can I say? This site is the most fun one could have with their pants on. ....Wait, I forgot it's the internet. No need for these then!

Further, the name Ork King can be read two different ways. Is it a noun or a verb?

(mind blown)

And will it blend?

I set a threshold for sets at $300. To go over that, the set has to be something I really want. At this time, the set doesn't meet that requirement.

Fair enough. I have my own threshold that's more on a 'set-per-set' basis to where if something hits a certain price point, I have to really like it enough to buy up at retail otherwise I wait for a sale and not sweat it should the item never reach one.

Arg... I don't really like the set... just took a look and meh...

350$ is quite some money for it... personally I won't build it. As an investment I guess it's wise to buy at least one or two though...

And these really "new" minifigures... meh...

The only thing that I actually like about the set are the real minifigures ;-)

My only gripe with the ship is I'd like to see it be more than just a punching bag for explosions in the movie.  :cheese:

I wouldn't do it but seems like a parter-outer's dream with some of those pieces like the printed plates and the microfigs. It was hard for me to tell in the video, but looked like a lot of the dark navy blue as well in perhaps some new elements?

I'm guessing the price has been set for a while now. 350 vs 400 is closer in line with how the CDN dollar fared back in November 2014. What this could mean though is upcoming sets without a price could hurt a lot more - like the $399 US SSD vs $499 CDN for us,

Prices are normally set 6-9 months in advance so expect the fall releases to be about 40% higher in Canada instead of the typical 20%.  Some corporations may absorb a very small portion of the cost but I see no reason for Lego to do that.

Looks like a set that would fail in Europe. 

Anybody disagrees? 

It will not have a huge fanbase in Europe as compared to the US. In that regard you are right. But I think this set will persuade even people in Europe to start liking Super Heroes. Fanbase is already growing now with the Tumbler and all.

I will buy this one right away when it comes available. Without any discussion. And the power functions as well.

Prices are normally set 6-9 months in advance so expect the fall releases to be about 40% higher in Canada instead of the typical 20%.  Some corporations may absorb a very small portion of the cost but I see no reason for Lego to do that.

Makes sense.. I was just griping out loud. :) 

It does make "investing" interesting though. Some sets have been more affordable such as the T1 (only 8.3% more) and Simpsons House (15% more) where others have been a little less such as the Death Star, SSD, MKII (all 25% more), R2D2 (27.7% more) and the MF 7965 (28.5% more). And since Lego never adjusts those prices over the life of a set, this set could be a winner for investors in the North if the dollar remains weak.

I think that this is a beautiful set and that, due to price, about 1/3 of sellers will be scrambling to get their first set when it eventually retires.

I especially like that I can buy it and not be tempted to open it :D

You mean buy 1 and build it. That way the rest of the stash is safe. :)

You mean buy 1 and build it. That way the rest of the stash is safe. :)

I am not a comic fan or super hero fan (except Batman) and I am not interested in building one until I see it in the store. As comparison, the Slave I is expertly done so this needs to look at least as good in person.

Of course, I will buy a used one instead because someone is always looking to sell.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

I know absolutely nothing about Marvel / Superheroes / etc etc, (I think it all bypassed me as a kid for some reason), but I still like the look of this set. It keeps growing on me, and tbh I don't build that many of the sets I have particularly the bigger ones, but I must have looked at the images and designer video several times already.

I like the image from beneath too, as an alternative view

10401884_901508589881691_892005108612271

I like the set, and I'm sure it will be a great investment.  It's just not for me.  There's just too much UCS with Star Wars and the Tumbler competing for my bucks (for personal collection).  I'll probably get a few closer to EOL for investment.

• Like 1

I really like the set after coming down to earth and keeping piece-count constraints in mind. The main thing I liked about the Ideas set were the engines. I sure wish they could have kept that look. Having said that, after watching the video and seeing they can easily be motorized (lights too!), they are starting to grow on me.

Does anyone know why the Ideas set is still listed as in review? Is this even based on the Ideas design? Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it.

Well you can be sure, I won't be competing for inventory. I will display the older UCS star wars in my house. I would not display this. Either make it a play set 10188 or make it a display dsII. Most grown men who would actually pay 350.00 would not display this. IMO. everyone recognizes star wars ships, most would not have a clue on thos one. The tumbler on the other hand, very well executed, displayable, afol target market. To each his own though.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

Have you watched the Avengers or Captain America 2?  It is very iconic and Captain America 2 was basically based around them. If your a fan which I'm assuming your not you would notice it right away.  Its more deserving of a UCS then the b-wing