75095 - UCS: TIE Fighter

NZ-EUG

Just now, kurnitb said:

Difficult one, it will depend on the price I guess, ;). If you get them at 40% off RRP or more then I would say yes, otherwise probably no.  

Its a really nice set. But if it retires as quick as the tumbler, and i didn't have a spare to pay for the built one. I may cry.

Just now, wobbl87 said:

Its a really nice set. But if it retires as quick as the tumbler, and i didn't have a spare to pay for the built one. I may cry.

also looking for an excuse to get the freebie batman :)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, wobbl87 said:

is this set worth getting a spare for the cupboard?

No, as it's not been out long and recent UCS sets haven't made any money. Eg. Tumbling Tumbler and Dead 5. I bought one for £95 last year and no bids when I listed it for £124.99 start.

17 minutes ago, wobbl87 said:

also looking for an excuse to get the freebie batman :)

Lol, if it retires then not too worry as you can always make money from other sets I guess, :). Unless you are going big - the tabbyboy way. Yeah the exclusive Batman cmfs are cool! 

1 minute ago, kurnitb said:

Lol, if it retires then not too worry as you can always make money from other sets I guess, :). Unless you are going big - the tabbyboy way. Yeah the exclusive Batman cmfs are cool! 

True but im not great at the investment side. I get lego blinded and buy out of interest rather than investment. Thats why im broke... i want a disco batman! haha.

No, as it's not been out long and recent UCS sets haven't made any money. Eg. Tumbling Tumbler and Dead 5. I bought one for £95 last year and no bids when I listed it for £124.99 start.

Im sorry if im a bit of a nieve newbie here but a set (red 5) that retailed for 170 which you would have been brought at discount and now *sells* for 250 on ebay is not good!? Even if you only got 20% off and fees with p&p cost are 50 thats 64 profit, am i missing something?

6 minutes ago, brickbuilder77 said:

Im sorry if im a bit of a nieve newbie here but a set (red 5) that retailed for 170 which you would have been brought at discount and now *sells* for 250 on ebay is not good!? Even if you only got 20% off and fees with p&p cost are 50 thats 64 profit, am i missing something?

HMRC´s commission?

8 minutes ago, amrandazz said:

Have some Amazon gift cards collecting dust and this is near the top of my collection list. Have you guys seen this drop much since release? I just started following back in November 16. Right now it's 10% on Amazon, and 10% on Jet.com which you can use the TRIPLE15 to get another 15% off.

It went down to $50 once on Amazon randomly.  That...didn't last too long.

Have some Amazon gift cards collecting dust and this is near the top of my collection list. Have you guys seen this drop much since release? I just started following back in November 16. Right now it's 10% on Amazon, and 10% on Jet.com which you can use the TRIPLE15 to get another 15% off.

It's been in the 30% off range a few times, $139.99 at Walmart.com and Amazon.
Some jokers will jump on here and tell you $50. Just scroll past those.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, amrandazz said:

Do we anticipate this hanging out through Xmas 17? I know I've seen talk that this hasn't performed nearly as well as the Slave 1 and could be gone sooner rather than later?

With two star wars sets retiring end of 2016, I could see zero sets retiring end of 2017.

Also, I cry for a world where The Attack on Hoth, the Death Star 2.0, and ............whatever is next become the only game in town. If they do another lame playset, we would really be lacking in BIG awesome SW ships. (fingers crossed for snowspeeder and falcon rumors)

I suppose you're postulating if the Tie could jump the retirement order (aka townhallin') of the Slave I due to it being less-cool than the BobaMobile. I might agree to that, but I think that's mostly due to them being at the same price point.

Judged on its own merits, the Tie is a fantastic set (perhaps 20 bucks overpriced, or the Slave I is 20 bucks under-priced). I also think in a few years people will want more than one to be able to do the Tie Interceptor mod along with the Tie Fighter classic build.

When you look at the star wars UCS VEHICLE line right now, the Tie Fighter looks fantastic if you only have it and the Slave I to choose from. I can't see them pulling it from the line early.

As an aside, In my humble opinion, we should all ignore "talk" about whether a set has performed well as people are pulling that fully from their arse.

If you can get in at the 139.99-159.99 price point, I'd say you'll be able to double your money (even after fees and shipping) 6-9 months from retirement (absence from retail).

I would guess that moment is not till well into 2018 though, if not early 2019 assuming it makes it through the new year.

That's about as much as you can ask from any large set these days.

16 hours ago, Brian Briggs said:

Rumor has it we can expect 3 new UCS sets this year. Shouldn't something be retired to make room for those?

I think that's already taken care of since, two sets just retired in December to make room for those 3 rumors. Star wars often has 4-6 UCS sets available at any time.

Across the last two calendar years we had 8 UCS sets available at retail:  Death Star, Xwing, Ewok Village, Jawa SC, Slave, Tie, Hoth, Death Star V2.0,

At times, 6 of those could be had at the same time for retail pricing.

Now we have just 4: Slave, Tie, Hoth, Death Star.

I think we easily could see 2 new sets on shelves and they simply fill the void of the sandcrawler and Ewok village. No 'need' to retire anything.

A third set seems unlikely, but we ARE in a new golden age of Star Wars. Smack dab in the middle of 10 years of new films and Disney Theme lands being built. So even if that third set shows up, that's just one more than they had available at a point last year.

• Like 1

I placed an order for this set on Jet.com last week for $153 after stacking a discount and a coupon. Tonight my order was cancelled after a two week delay. Customer service noted that my order was held up by a fulfillment issue. This was my first Jet order, so I don't know how often this occurs. Could it be a sign that this set is heading for retirement?

On 2/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, mudcatsfan said:

I think that's already taken care of since, two sets just retired in December to make room for those 3 rumors. Star wars often has 4-6 UCS sets available at any time.

Across the last two calendar years we had 8 UCS sets available at retail:  Death Star, Xwing, Ewok Village, Jawa SC, Slave, Tie, Hoth, Death Star V2.0,

At times, 6 of those could be had at the same time for retail pricing.

Now we have just 4: Slave, Tie, Hoth, Death Star.

I think we easily could see 2 new sets on shelves and they simply fill the void of the sandcrawler and Ewok village. No 'need' to retire anything.

A third set seems unlikely, but we ARE in a new golden age of Star Wars. Smack dab in the middle of 10 years of new films and Disney Theme lands being built. So even if that third set shows up, that's just one more than they had available at a point last year.

Nah.. I could easily see 2 retirements this year, if there are 3 new ones coming out.  Every year there is at least one UCS Star Wars retirement.  If MF comes out like rumored, and the BB8 is also on the way, I don't see them keeping the Tie-fighter.  Then it comes down to AOH or Slave 1.