9457 - Fangpyre Wrecking Ball

justgod

It retired just recently but I have seen a few in the store still. I only see one listing on eBay that has it at MSRP, the others are higher. Are you buying it to invest in or to build? I personally would try to find some fangpyre mechs (9455) which seem to be a better investment IMO *edit......... looking at the guide looks like the market value of the 9455 has gone down a bit, but I think its still a pretty good investment.

I was thinking from an investment point. My assumption is that once a set goes EOL, it stands a better chance of rising in value. I know that this series is going away, but I don't know of many sets that have already gone EOL that are still available, especially "exclusives". I have seen these sets sell on ebay at or just below retail, but how long will that last once TRU sells out?

• 2 weeks later...

This set is a bit of a mystery to me. It is officially retired, and is a TRU exclusive, but I saw about a dozen of them at a local TRU today. It is worth mentioning that this particular store's LEGO selection was miserably depleted. There was no other Ninjago whatsoever aside from the new sets. Why is the Wrecking Ball so plentiful? It looks like a cool enough set to me, and the exclusivity factor usually never hurts either. Anybody have any thoughts? I am hoping I can get some insight while it is still available. Thanks!

I am still trying to get into this whole Ninjago thing so I can't really give a good opinion on these sets.......Can one of you turn me onto this theme so I can have an excuse to collect more Lego? Haha, right now I'm leaning more towards starting to collect Friends than Ninjago, yep I said it and not afraid to admit it :)

• 6 months later...

These are STILL around and going for retail at TRU...been retired forever...which is weird.

Does no one like these sets?  EVERY ninjago set retired at about the same time has seen decent increase since then and been sold out for awhile.   Is this a turd or just flying under the radar?  I personally think it is one of the cooler sets but I am not 8 and who they are trying to sell to.  Aren't the gems going to be the ones that no collectors really stocked up on and is MUCH harder to get when gone? 

No reviews even...

Want to hear others thoughts...

I think being hidden away as a TRU exclusive hurts this one. It just doesn't generate the interest that even the Ultra Sonic Raider does. I am not sure how many kids even register this on their radar, let alone it being a must have.

I thought the exact same thing.  When I was a kid, I had no idea about exclusives or what not.  What was on the shelf or in the catalog was what existed in my mind.

Do you think this could help in the long run?  Less people having it afterwards means less choices in places to buy it?  I know there is/was less interest when it was out but doesn't that sometimes help in the long run?  I have no idea so i am asking those who have been around awhile...

I think being hidden away as a TRU exclusive hurts this one. It just doesn't generate the interest that even the Ultra Sonic Raider does. I am not sure how many kids even register this on their radar, let alone it being a must have.

Have to agree here.  TRU exclusives aren't always a hit.  Many towns don't even have a TRU.  I bet this one will be around on TRU shelves until Christmas. It's a cool set but too bad it's a TRU exclusive.

I thought the exact same thing.  When I was a kid, I had no idea about exclusives or what not.  What was on the shelf or in the catalog was what existed in my mind.

Do you think this could help in the long run?  Less people having it afterwards means less choices in places to buy it?  I know there is/was less interest when it was out but doesn't that sometimes help in the long run?  I have no idea so i am asking those who have been around awhile...

I don't think it will help at all. No dragon means less interest.

It reminds me a bit of the Skull Truck, something you can still find easilly awhile after EOL at retail stores and still is barely moving.

Have to agree here.  TRU exclusives aren't always a hit.  Many towns don't even have a TRU.  I bet this one will be around on TRU shelves until Christmas. It's a cool set but too bad it's a TRU exclusive.

Do you guys find this to be true for all TRU exclusives?  I have read that exclusives tend to do better?  (I might have misread that.)   Orc Forge while not fully retired comes to mind as a hot item.

Do Walmart and target or shop at home exclusives tend to do better?  Is there a store that has better performing exclusives than others?

Well the Funhouse Escape is a TRU Exclusive that seems to do exceptionally well.

TRU constantly screw around with their prices during their sales, so hard to tell.

And yes, depending on the theme, exclusives tend to do well but we really don't know if those sets have a more limited production run.

Marginal figs with this set really buried it, plus it didn't have much of a role in the television show.  It's also just kind of a goofy mishmash of a construction vehicle and a snake - neat looking, but ultimately strange.

I also agree with Coneil - dragons and ninjas make this line, and the one ninja this comes with (Cole) is a kendo version which, among Ninjago fans, is not as appealing as a dragon fig or kimono fig.

• Like 1

Do you guys find this to be true for all TRU exclusives?  I have read that exclusives tend to do better?  (I might have misread that.)   Orc Forge while not fully retired comes to mind as a hot item.

Do Walmart and target or shop at home exclusives tend to do better?  Is there a store that has better performing exclusives than others?

I have done really well with some exclusives and really poorly with others.  Home One was a BAD TRU exclusive. Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter was an AWESOME Walmart exclusive.  TIE Crawler as an OK Target exclusive.  Like stated before, I think it depends on the figures and design.

• Like 1

I have done really well with some exclusives and really poorly with others.  Home One was a BAD TRU exclusive. Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter was an AWESOME Walmart exclusive.  TIE Crawler as an OK Target exclusive.  Like stated before, I think it depends on the figures and design.

Yeah the exclusive part of it can be bad or good as well. Some TRU exclusives aren't seen by enough people.

Marginal figs with this set really buried it, plus it didn't have much of a role in the television show. It's also just kind of a goofy mishmash of a construction vehicle and a snake - neat looking, but ultimately strange.

I also agree with Coneil - dragons and ninjas make this line, and the one ninja this comes with (Cole) is a kendo version which, among Ninjago fans, is not as appealing as a dragon fig or kimono fig.

Quacs nailed it. There is a reason it is all over TRU shelves - and it's not the TRU markup. This set has the short leg kiddie version of Lloyd, who then grew up to the green ninja then became the gold ninja. Kids want the latest and greatest that they see on TV. I don't see much demand at all for this in the future.