75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

It's possible that it is not a UCS set, just a play set similar to the Ewok Village and 10188.

This is not a UCS set, this is a play set for sure. UCS should be removed from the title of this thread until we see something in print from Lego (in my opinion, of course)...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Well glad I stocked up on AT-AT. Every kid will need 3 to go along with this set.  

Yes, if this is the new UCS or large Hoth playset people have been talking about for the last year, then the current AT-AT will become a very popular set.  Unless of course a new UCS AT-AT is released, then the smaller AT-AT will be a big zero.  LOL

Isn't there supposed to be a UCS snowspeeder coming out?  I was under the assumption that was the new UCS set due out soon (my guess is january), and this one sounds like it's going to be EV's replacement.  Just speculatin' here, but i'd suspect EV gets one more minor run in January, depletes by next 2xVIP in march, and then this Hoth Rebel base is the newest set released on May the 4th.  Sounds somewhat logical..

I can't see any way to make this set without it being a scattered collection of (previously available) small Hoth sets. And that's too bad, because at the high price points I want/expect a large cohesive model. Even the Ewok Village is pretty well joined together with the rope bridge and such. But if this is just a hangar bay door plus some figs, turrets and maybe a vehicle or two, that'll be truly lacklustre.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Isn't there supposed to be a UCS snowspeeder coming out?  I was under the assumption that was the new UCS set due out soon (my guess is january), and this one sounds like it's going to be EV's replacement.  Just speculatin' here, but i'd suspect EV gets one more minor run in January, depletes by next 2xVIP in march, and then this Hoth Rebel base is the newest set released on May the 4th.  Sounds somewhat logical..

Maybe a Snowspeeder is included in this set.  There was one in the video.  Maybe LEGO throws in a AT-AT and Snowspeeder into the set.  I still think this won't be a UCS set, but a $100-$150 playset.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

After watching the video again, I don't believe this is anywhere close to a $250 set, unless of course they throw in the AT-ATs.  

I don't understand why you find it so hard to believe: another snowspeeder ~280 pcs, door + some interior ~700 pcs (7666 was ~550 pcs with two huge rock-wall elements that will be substituted by a myriad of smaller ones, substitute snowspeeder for service vehicle seen in the video), ion canon ~150 pcs by the looks of it, shield generator also around 150 pcs due to large curve elements used, trench defenses at least 300 (small) pieces, snowtroopers with some gear ~50-100 pcs, mini-Wampa cave ~100-150 pcs and you are in a ball park of 1800-1900. Account for inflation and you are at EV price point per part (~1990 parts if my memory holds).

38 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

I don't understand why you find it so hard to believe: another snowspeeder ~280 pcs, door + some interior ~700 pcs (7666 was ~550 pcs with two huge rock-wall elements that will be substituted by a myriad of smaller ones, substitute snowspeeder for service vehicle seen in the video), ion canon ~150 pcs by the looks of it, shield generator also around 150 pcs due to large curve elements used, trench defenses at least 300 (small) pieces, snowtroopers with some gear ~50-100 pcs, mini-Wampa cave ~100-150 pcs and you are in a ball park of 1800-1900. Account for inflation and you are at EV price point per part (~1990 parts if my memory holds).

7666lego.jpg?t=1259477260

prod_product_main_retina_1224x688_7879.j

Here you go...

7666+7879=75098     $49.99+$89.99=$139.98     1321 Total pieces and 16 minifigures

Throw in a Wampa maxifigure and a Power Generator and you are around $150.00.  Even if you threw in the 8089 Wampa Cave, you are still at less than $180 with way more than what is shown on video.

• Like 3

Hm, I'm not sure I follow you, the video contains absolutely nothing of 7879 elements (ok, tauntaun). I tried to put a number on each separate element of things seen in the video, giving a lower estimate on each. Just watched the video again, the trench defenses are equivalent of three, not two 7749 sets (~150 pcs) and I'm quite sure ion canon with base is more than 150 pcs. What matters is total number of pieces and a current price per piece ratio, not the ones from 2007. I think that we more than account for ~1900 pieces with things seen even without considering the AT-ATs to justify the price point (again, EV was 1990 and hit the 250 price mark due to minifigs). That is not to say that the set doesn't fall ridiculously behind EV in terms of design quality...

17 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

Hm, I'm not sure I follow you, the video contains absolutely nothing of 7879 elements (ok, tauntaun). I tried to put a number on each separate element of things seen in the video, giving a lower estimate on each. Just watched the video again, the trench defenses are equivalent of three, not two 7749 sets (~150 pcs) and I'm quite sure ion canon with base is more than 150 pcs. What matters is total number of pieces and a current price per piece ratio, not the ones from 2007. I think that we more than account for ~1900 pieces with things seen even without considering the AT-ATs to justify the price point (again, EV was 1990 and hit the 250 price mark due to minifigs). That is not to say that the set doesn't fall ridiculously behind EV in terms of design quality...

The price per piece ratio is very similar.  There are multiple current STAR WARS sets in the same range, it all depends on minifigures, but it's close.  As for the set being worth $250, sure LEGO can charge that, but to break it down to brick types and sizes at this point is a waste of time IMO, without knowing exactly what vehicles are in it.  On the basic structures, I think you are overestimating what you see.  The 7749 is $25 because of the 5 minifigures and is not a fair price when pricing out bricks.  

Honestly, I'm just speculating and complaining at the same time.  There are many 2000 piece LEGO sets well under $200.00.  From what I can see, these are very basic pieces and minifigures that have been used many times over, so I am not really impressed at this point.  Regardless, if the models in the video are close to reality, I cannot see it being a UCS set.  This looks like a playset and UCS sets are not playsets...at least not yet.  

10 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The price per piece ratio is very similar.  There are multiple current STAR WARS sets in the same range, it all depends on minifigures, but it's close.  As for the set being worth $250, sure LEGO can charge that, but to break it down to brick types and sizes at this point is a waste of time IMO, without knowing exactly what vehicles are in it.  On the basic structures, I think you are overestimating what you see.  The 7749 is $25 because of the 5 minifigures and is not a fair price when pricing out bricks.  

Honestly, I'm just speculating and complaining at the same time.  There are many 2000 piece LEGO sets well under $200.00.  From what I can see, these are very basic pieces and minifigures that have been used many times over, so I am not really impressed at this point.  Regardless, if the models in the video are close to reality, I cannot see it being a UCS set.  This looks like a playset and UCS sets are not playsets...at least not yet.  

But even as a playset it would under deliver, especially compared to the Sandcrawler and Ewok Village.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Oh, I agree 100% on this. I never even considered it a true UCS, just a large terribly disappointing and underwhelming playset. But I can 100% see TLG charging a premium for a nice box art and a bunch of minifigs. I'll sincerely never get why the resources of the company are wasted making such duds at "adult" price point instead of finally putting out an UCS AT-AT that the AFOL community has been desperately calling for.

• Like 1

When there is something strange with a ucs star wars set, who you gonna call, ....ghostbusters headquarters!  

Ghostbuster fans dont forgive or forget

p.s.  huge star wars fan and these early possible pics did not impress....just having some fun with ghostbusters vs star wars:)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, waydog said:

When there is something strange with a ucs star wars set, who you gonna call, ....ghostbusters headquarters!  

Ghostbuster fans dont forgive or forget

p.s.  huge star wars fan and these early possible pics did not impress....just having some fun with ghostbusters vs star wars:)

It's funny, I've sold tons of Star Wars sets, but don't have a single one on display, the only set I've ever bought new to build myself was Ecto 1. I will probably get GBHQ early on to build and/or flip if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't care much about this non confirmed Hoth maybe almost UCS set other than weather or not I can make money on it.

Not many Palmetto Staters on here, nice to see another one.

• Like 2

I'm not so pessimistic on this one.  There hasn't been one large scale set that has dissapointed me in the last year, and that ranges from many sets from many different lines.  I suspect this one will also have some "wow that is awesome" factor to it.  Until there is the lego designer video, I hold full judgement on this one, as well as the GBHQ..

48 minutes ago, Ed Mack said: Honestly, I'm just speculating and complaining at the same time.  There are many 2000 piece LEGO sets well under $200.00.  From what I can see, these are very basic pieces and minifigures that have been used many times over, so I am not really impressed at this point.  Regardless, if the models in the video are close to reality, I cannot see it being a UCS set.  This looks like a playset and UCS sets are not playsets...at least not yet.  

Oh, I agree 100% on this. I never even considered it a true UCS, just a large terribly disappointing and underwhelming playset. But I can 100% see TLG charging a premium for a nice box art and a bunch of minifigs. I'll sincerely never get why the resources of the company are wasted making such duds at "adult" price point instead of finally putting out an UCS AT-AT that the AFOL community has been desperately calling for.

I guess the really only thing that bothers me with this set is the possible UCS designation....and we aren't even sure that's correct. I would have zero issues with this set if they charged $200-$250 for a large play set with 15 minifigures, a few maxifigures and some vehicles. It would probably sell well. As for the UCS moniker, I am an elitist and don't like throwing that term around lightly. I really wish a UCS AT-AT would be released, instead of rehashing older versions of iconic sets like the 7191.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, redghostx said:

There are two great Star Wars play sets: Cloud City and the Ewok Village. This is nowhere close to either, based on current conjecture. Back to drinking to numb the effect of the "UCS" discussion.

Yeah, I don't really care if it is labeled as UCS or not, but if they are planning on charging $250 they better design something close to the same quality as Ewok Village or the new Sandcrawler.