Star Wars Buildable Figures

Bold-Arrow

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, Deadfraggle said:

Try building some, they'll grow on you....

I agree, I like them, well half of them.  I will only buy and build non-human ones because non-humans are fake, thus our imagination finds it easier to be adjusted and like how it looks, where the human ones don't work as well due to us trying to see an actual Human in it and it looks too fake.

Just my opinion.  I have built Phasma, Vader, GG, Stormtrooper, and K-2SO and find each one pretty damn neat.  I enjoy putting them behind other Lego builds to fill the entire space and not just what sits on the shelf.  Imagine this picture with a MF, X-wing, custom tie in front with a few buildables behind it without overcrowding.  It's a great presentation.

Also, my kids love the buildables a ton because they can move all the parts and more parts more freely, grab two in their hands and crash them together, etc...

• Like 1

I am not a fan of the buildable figures with faces (Rey/Luke/Poe etc) but I do like Kylo Ren, Captain Phasma, First Order Trooper and the Rogue One K-2SO and Troopers seem pretty good too that I intend to pick up at some point but the Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike was top of my must have list when it was leaked and thank to Smyths putting them out early I now have one a good few weeks before they are officially released :)

Edited by Andyperkins

On 5/23/2017 at 7:38 AM, Haay said:

Jangbricks did a nice review of the Scout Trooper & Speeder Bike:

I for one would NEVER buy a build-able, I think their atrocious.  This however, is awesome. Picked it up at Target for $43 last week, looks quite good on display.  I used the pose on the back of the box.

Edited by Klownicle

I feel like this line has reached a point where it appears to have some legs, forgive the pun.

You can really build quite a shelf-full of these. Heck, they have better variety in these than the classic 4" Hasbro/Kenner style Super Articulated figures.

If these had only lasted 1 or 2 series, I think they would have been curiosities, but with the line growing every year it's possible people will see them, like them and want to backfill their collection. That of course is where we come in.

For me, seeing the vintage Stormtrooper released as a 2 in 1 Sandtrooper / Stormtrooper, PLUS the biker scout on speederbike tells me that even though the focus of the line will likely be the current movie in theaters, they are willing to fill in the vintage characters along the way.

We know the Han Solo movie is coming, so you can bet we'll get Han & Chewie & Lando. Han & Lando may not look just like their vintage counterparts, but Chewie will, and apparently Han doesn't stray from his style much. ("Same jacket")

We know Episode 8 and 9 are coming, so that's a ton more figures. Plus whatever spin-off movie # 3 is. We're also hearing rumors of a Boba buildable.

All things considered, I think this line is showing some real potential now that it has critical mass. It's like when the 6" black series was released by Hasbro. At first, many 4" collectors ignored it. Once it became clear it was the new flagship, and had enough momentum to be a nearly complete series of characters, people started to want the figures from the first few series.

In fact, Mixels and really ANY Lego theme have that similar pattern.

I'm calling this line a future (LONG TERM HOLD) success, and I'm excited to be picking them up at 80% off :) 

What say you?

• Like 2

I feel like this line has reached a point where it appears to have some legs, forgive the pun.
You can really build quite a shelf-full of these. Heck, they have better variety in these than the classic 4" Hasbro/Kenner style Super Articulated figures.
If these had only lasted 1 or 2 series, I think they would have been curiosities, but with the line growing every year it's possible people will see them, like them and want to backfill their collection. That of course is where we come in.
For me, seeing the vintage Stormtrooper released as a 2 in 1 Sandtrooper / Stormtrooper, PLUS the biker scout on speederbike tells me that even though the focus of the line will likely be the current movie in theaters, they are willing to fill in the vintage characters along the way.
We know the Han Solo movie is coming, so you can bet we'll get Han & Chewie & Lando. Han & Lando may not look just like their vintage counterparts, but Chewie will, and apparently Han doesn't stray from his style much. ("Same jacket")
We know Episode 8 and 9 are coming, so that's a ton more figures. Plus whatever spin-off movie # 3 is. We're also hearing rumors of a Boba buildable.
All things considered, I think this line is showing some real potential now that it has critical mass. It's like when the 6" black series was released by Hasbro. At first, many 4" collectors ignored it. Once it became clear it was the new flagship, and had enough momentum to be a nearly complete series of characters, people started to want the figures from the first few series.
In fact, Mixels and really ANY Lego theme have that similar pattern.
I'm calling this line a future (LONG TERM HOLD) success, and I'm excited to be picking them up at 80% off  
What say you?

Been saying this since release! Lol. Most people on here want to go right with these so I'll go left and stock up lol. I don't see them doing amazing post retirement but buy in is key and if you buy at 5 and sell at 25-30 you're a hero lol.
  • Like 1

It's the same gamble you take with any new line. If the series continues for enough time to attract collectors then series 1 will have value.

It's what happened with Micro Fighters and same seems to be true with the Speed Champions line. It's just working out which series will endure and which will flop.

• Like 2

The list so far is more than I even realized. Let me know if I missed any.

•  
  • Original Trilogy:
    • Darth Vader
    • Stormtrooper
    • Sandtrooper (same fig)
    • Biker Scout
    • Luke Jedi
  • Prequel Trilogy:
    • General Grievous
    • Obi Wan
    • Jango Fett
    • Clone Trooper
  • Force Awakens:
    • Rey
    • Poe
    • Finn
    • Phasma
    • Kylo
    • Stormtrooper
  • Rogue 1:
    • Jyn
    • Baze
    • Chirrut
    • Death Trooper
    • Scarif Trooper
    • K2S0
  • Last Jedi:
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
  • Han Solo Movie:
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
  • Ep 9
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD
    • TBD

I like how this is filling out.

Original Trilogy could soon have: 

• Boba Fett,
  • Chewie,
  • Han (who might still look like the Han we know from Ep4 in this format)
  • Lando, (but likely not in an outfit we recognize)

In addition, I could see the following OT characters looking great like this:

• All the bounty hunters to go with Boba:
    • Bossk
    • 4Lom
    • Zuckuss
    • IG-88
    • Dengar
  • More troops:
    • Snowtrooper
    • Imperial Royal Guard
    • Emperor........maybe with lightning hands?
  • More Aliens:
    • Greedo to duel Han
    • Jawas to chase droids
    • Ponda Baba to get his arm cut off by Kenobi
  • Droids:
    • C3P0 (could also be added in Ep8 or Ep9 range with multiple color legs & arms)
    • R2-D2 (maybe together as a 2 pack?)
    • Maybe a Build a Droid pack with parts to build multiple versions? This could be brilliant.
  • More Jedi for dueling 2 packs
    • Luke Bespin to duel Vader
    • Obi Wan to duel Vader
    • Qui Gon & Maul (I know not OT)
    • Yoda & Duku (I know not OT)
    • Mace & Palp (I know not OT)

I'm either worried that Vader will never leave store shelves, or will return in multiple 2 packs.

Edited by mudcatsfan

Guest TabbyBoy

Why are these called contraction and not contruction figures? Am I missing something here?

However, I think it's a good collection and I have all of them so far. However, I don't think they are good for investing and there's a glut of them, like most SW sets these days.

32 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why are these called contraction and not contruction figures? Am I missing something here?

However, I think it's a good collection and I have all of them so far. However, I don't think they are good for investing and there's a glut of them, like most SW sets these days.

It's an attempt to be clever combining Construction with Action figure

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I've finally completed my collection of these, but I'm struggling to accept the tiny head on Darth Vader, is it just me again? I hope the aftermarket like it as I bought 198 of them (2x 99x) at £10.34 each from Tesco last year! I'm now thinking that 3 would've been enough ;-)

These could do well as I made a killing on Iron Man & Batman a few years ago, up to 4x within a year of EOL and they were VERY available discounted beforehand.

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've finally completed my collection of these, but I'm struggling to accept the tiny head on Darth Vader, is it just me again? I hope the aftermarket like it as I bought 198 of them (2x 99x) at £10.34 each from Tesco last year! I'm now thinking that 3 would've been enough ;-)

These could do well as I made a killing on Iron Man & Batman a few years ago, up to 4x within a year of EOL and they were VERY available discounted beforehand.

Unfortunately, it seems that these have been around longer than expected...probably because they are popular.  Without a similar kind of set (Bionicle/Hero Factory), these are the only type of sets that replicate an action figure and are solid sellers.

I don´t know that they do sell so well and they are not cheap. Maybe Vader, but the others seem to be shelf warmers. It´s worth noting that Rey is already going to be remade  and Vader is going to have at least a 2 year life.

It´s a pity they didn´t do something with the buildables or indeed Microfighters to allow them to be combined and make something bigger - that´s a key element for collectibility.

26 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I don´t know that they do sell so well and they are not cheap. Maybe Vader, but the others seem to be shelf warmers. It´s worth noting that Rey is already going to be remade  and Vader is going to have at least a 2 year life.

It´s a pity they didn´t do something with the buildables or indeed Microfighters to allow them to be combined and make something bigger - that´s a key element for collectibility.

Already? They probably just want a figure of her updated costume out there. We'll probably get a new Kylo and maybe even a Rose next year alongside the Han Solo buildable figs

• 2 weeks later...