75054 - AT-AT

Kenxxx

Cool to start these off in the same thread?  Okay...

I'm just wondering... what's up with these sets?  Walmart seems to be phasing them out of their stores, no stock online, they don't show up when I search "Lego Star Wars" at target.com (but you can search them individually and order limit 1), most Targets near me are out of stock, most ToysRUs near me have no stock (but can order online limit 4).  Is this normal post-Christmas shortage... they'll all be stocked back up by spring?

They will be stocked up, for sure!

But, one remarkable thing is, that there seems to be a broad shortage of sets in general. Perhaps due to TLG producing more sets just in time. As we've all seen, e.***. the 2012 Star Wars sets were hanging around in stores for a long time. Perhaps the number of items produced was too high relating to a series which is getting refreshed with lots of new models twice a year...

But as we don't know the numbers, that's just guesswork.

i have noticed this on these particular sets as well. I have been trying to pay more than extra close attention as i still need both of these sets for my collection. I know LEGO Shop at Home normally keeps regular sets available online for at least a year, i have noticed these being out of stock a lot more than usual. These were "ships in 30 days" through most of December and they just did finally show up as available a week or so ago and now they are back to "ships in 30 days". I'm sure all the new sets coming out is playing a part on these being so backlogged but how long will Lego keep trying to keep that many sets in circulation? If they decide to start retiring sets at a 6 month rate, it could get VERY costly to collect, let alone invest. 

Also, around my area, all these sets mentioned are very scarce. The only place that has them is TRU. Walmart doesn't have the room for them anymore. Target gets them off and on but they have already jacked the price up on them. 

Edited by jal4u2c

Geez... 3 replies in, and you're already trying to derail my thread? (kidding :)  Ghosts aren't everywhere here in Charlotte like they were in October, but I can probably find at least 1 in each of those stores near me (Walmart, TGT, TRU).  Actually Walmarts, TGT's, and Kmarts near me are all still struggling to fill the shelves in their Lego aisles.

The AT-AT might suffer now that rumors are spreading about a new UCS AT-AT. This one might be still easier to flip, but for long term I would definately prefer the UCS version.

The ISD is cool IMO with that little hook since you can hang it on your ceiling. I don't own any yet since I want to see if I can get a discount on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-railing the thread now...

Saw 75054 AT-AT and 75055 ISD in Walmart this morning with 05R4 seals. Was told they just got them in with a bunch of stuff last night, have been waiting forever (yes the shelves were looking pretty pathetic since Christmas).

Looks like Lego is catching up...

• 7 months later...

Just tonight I decided to get one 75054 AT-AT while it's on sale at the Dutch Toys'R'US (from €129,99 for €104,99). Not the best deal on the AT-AT ever, but I don't think I'll have a chance to get it for less than €104,99 before it retires.

That's the disadvantage compared to the U.S. ... I'm always disappointed not only in the price difference (which sometimes is as big as 10-20$ to € which can add up to about 100+$ for a whole wave of sets) but also in the difference when it comes to cupons and special offers.

But I guess we gotta live with it and take what we get and give nothing back! ;-) (I mean sometimes we got nice offers as well! Just not as frequently).

The AT-AT is a great buy either way! It's an awesome set and well worth the 100€

• Like 1

What´s worrying is that Amazon are practically selling Lego at full price nowadays.

I don't think Amazon has much of a say anymore. I believe TLG has grown sufficiently to be able to call the shots even to the giants like Amazon. Prices completely reigned in, minimal discounts all pre-approved by TLG. The downsides of a planetary success...

I don't think Amazon has much of a say anymore. I believe TLG has grown sufficiently to be able to call the shots even to the giants like Amazon. Prices completely reigned in, minimal discounts all pre-approved by TLG. The downsides of a planetary success...

Hmmm, I reckon it´s more supply and demand. No discounts as they don´t need to.

• Like 1

Honestly, not quite sure valenciaeric, I've been following Amazon Lego prices for a very long time, they ALWAYS had discounts on Lego. Why, well, considering the volume they are moving they must be buying sets at wholesale prices that are quite possibly more then 50% off Lego MSRP. They are interested in moving volumes, not storing them, so discounts equate to sales in this instance. I firmly believe it's TLG policy more than anything else, I highly doubt demand is so strong they would sell sets no matter what.

Regarding their buy in price, I agree it must be very low, like TRU and the big American chainstores.

Perhaps Lego has renegotiated their wholesale discount so, indirectly, Amazon can´t sell so low. It is also possible that they are passing on to the consumer the increased tax burden they have faced since the EU ruling about being based in Luxembourg and their tax obligations.Timewise that fits but then there would be a correlation with other products.

• Like 1