75093 - Death Star Final Duel

KShine

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

It's a playset. No unique characters.

The Vader mini is really cool and the play feature could be unique to the scene/set, unless...

13 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I think it could do nicely and could be the last of this scene ever made by Lego. (I don't think a new 10188 is coming)

This is a major factor; I considered this set for myself at $60 but speculation on a new DS stopped me.

Edited by Pedilego

48 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

we should be safe as most folks seem to think 10188 replacement wouldn't be direct refresh. starkiller base is the fav.

I don't think what most people are wishfully thinking for means much. 

Starkiller Base itself is seen as an even lamer re-hash than DSII. I personally wouldn't consider a Lego DSII style set of SKB. Especially at $300+

Further, Lego made a comment on the UCS Sandcrawler (I think) that they were focusing more on play-ability even on UCS sets now. So I do think we're getting some kind of 10188 re-make. Chances it's a SKB version are low imo because there aren't enough scenes:

[spoilers]1. Chamber w/ Daniel Craig Stormtrooper?

2. Wall-climbing?

3. Shield adjusting?

4. Explosive planting

5. Duel

6. Microscale assault?[/spoilers]

Even if half of the build is the super weapon and the other side are vignettes, only a couple of scenes make for nice choices. Ironically, then, even if you chose 4, the Lego Death Star would make the Lego SKB look small. 

Perhaps it would be an ultimate movie display piece and include scenes from other planets etc That could actually be cool.

I'd still (as a fan) personally be more interested in an updated Death Star using new techniques, figures, etc. Makes sense with Rogue One coming out, too. I could see it now: free Bothan Spy polybag with Death Star Plans accessory lol

I could be totally off. Lego plans far ahead so maybe they decided no matter the reception of SKB, VII as a whole, or whatever, the set was happening. But unless somebody credible has said "I've heard/seen something specific to say x" then I'm not making assumptions one way or the other.

Edited by Pedilego
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone picked this set up recently?  If so, do you have the latest seal code information?  I haven't seen this set in my area for many weeks now (well before christmas), and definitely plan on getting one soon as I haven't even bought one for the personal collection, and when I search target and walmart, there's a few around, but out in the further reaches.  I'm wondering when the next big batch will hit, or if it may be ramping down?  While the Flash Speeder seems to have had a recent batch, this one along with the Tydirium seem to have not received a production run, yet.   Just wondering if anyone has seen a bunch appear in their area?

30 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Has anyone picked this set up recently?  If so, do you have the latest seal code information?  I haven't seen this set in my area for many weeks now (well before christmas), and definitely plan on getting one soon as I haven't even bought one for the personal collection, and when I search target and walmart, there's a few around, but out in the further reaches.  I'm wondering when the next big batch will hit, or if it may be ramping down?  While the Flash Speeder seems to have had a recent batch, this one along with the Tydirium seem to have not received a production run, yet.   Just wondering if anyone has seen a bunch appear in their area?

Haven't picked it up but a WM near me recently put out a load on the shelf - at least 5 of them. Didn't see the seal codes though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got one of these over x-mas and was actually quite impressed.  Not initially a fan of the set and i know a few people stay away from play sets as part of their strategy but this one could surprise people once retired i think.  I actually really like it - not as much as Mos Eisley but of the recent sets available (and looking at whats coming up) this one is actually one of my faves.

Its an iconic scene and not much is left out (you only really have those figures included in the scene and Palpatine tells the royal guards to do one pretty much straight away).  Because you can "compact it up" quite well its almost the sort of thing you can put on your desk and set up pretty much any scene from the final duel.

Might be a little early but saw one at 35% off so picked up another.  Of this wave I think Shuttle Tyderium is the clear winner and both will be around until the end of the year.  Trying to think what retired set this compares too best to get an idea of how it might do. At first i thought duel on Genosis but that lasted about 2 secs.

Incidentally does anyone know if the new Vader helmet will be in all the new sets (thinking tie advanced vs Awing) or is this helmet mod just for this set?

Even if the new DS has a final duel scene in i think this one does ok.  I mean DS will be huge so not something you can stick on a small shelf.  Glued box so I don't see any seal codes to share (should I be worried about that).

• Like 2

On 1/24/2016 at 10:12 AM, fossilrock said:

Picked 5 of these up this week.  All were picked up at the same time from the same store.  Seals on 4 were 50R5, other was 33R5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Trying to think what retired set this compares too best to get an idea of how it might do. At first i thought duel on Genosis but that lasted about 2 secs.

I think it's similar to Palpatine's Arrest a bit. That was a set that most people hated on when it was clearanced at TRU for like $50-60, and it now sits at $160 buy box on Amazon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

I think it's similar to Palpatine's Arrest a bit. That was a set that most people hated on when it was clearanced at TRU for like $50-60, and it now sits at $160 buy box on Amazon.

What's funny is that they never went below $90 in SoCal.  At least, I never saw them below that. That was the "clearance" price at a few TRUs for a very long time.  Then one day, they were gone.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2015 at 4:42 AM, Locutus001 said:

The faceprint is different: The angry faceprint stays the same, but the not so angry (bemused) faceprint is different. (one version has got a closed mouth, while the otherone is grinning)

Concerning the price:

You U.S. folks should concern yourselves happy! You almost always get the cheaper price AND on top of that lots of special deals! (So this whining about it is hard to swallow for us EU folks ;-P )

Final Duel 89,99 € vs 79,99 $ ... (This one is cheaper in Spain ... 84,99 € ... but the rest is even more expensive! holy ...)

Imperial Assault Carrier 129,99 € vs 129,99 $ (in Spain 139,99 € o.O so EU isn't even the same...)

Naboo Star Fighter!!! 64,99 € vs 49,99 $ !!!

Naboo Flash Speeder 39,99 € vs 29,99 $

Imperial Shuttle 99,99 € vs 99,99 $ (Spain 109,99 € ...)

(bit out of topic but could be useful clarification for the future in this forum overall)

mmh, I think we are comparing apples and oranges here...

the USD (USA) prices do not include sales tax: depending on the state/muni such tax could go from 0% to 10+%

the EUR (EU countries) prices do include sales taxes - we are in the 20+% ish

the EUR prices before sales tax (VAT/IVA/etc.) are closer to the USD ones

if for a second we imagine a 1 to 1 USD/EUR exchange rate, the EUR prices are higher but not as much as depicted above (the EU sales tax would pay for the welfare or social benefits while the "savings" the Americans are making would end up going into private health insurance or embedded in the salary withholding in the form of benefits - same private health/dental insurance)

now... it is very true that if an EU person goes in USA on vacation or for business she or he will have an interest in getting something back home (expecially in those US states with 0% sales tax: DE, NH, OR, etc.)

PS: I lived in EU for 28 years and also lived in USA for 4 years

Edited by Simon74
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This set has been scarce in my area for a while.  Occasionally there will be a case here and there at a walmart, but it doesnt last long and is usually gone in a week. 

I think it's worth having a few of this one.  The minifigures are pretty good, and if you pair it with a Death Star Troopers battle pack on ebay or amazon, I think a decent surge upwards on this set will happen over time.  I really do.  These sort of playsets are usually slow risers, so i'd expect the same will happen with this one, as it goes maybe 30% above retail at EOL, but overtime it will do well.  Heck Palpy's Arrest has gone pretty good over the last year, so I suspect this one will surpass that one in demand.  It's just one of those sets, you shouldn't plan on popping the cork after 6 months.  This is one of those sets, you start to think about selling a year and a half after the EOL. 

But, I agree this is gone after the fall surge, which will be here before you know it.

Edited by fossilrock

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

I was wondering the same thing while going over my inventory this morning. For sure by the time rogue one sets hit. I would say if there's a wave of sets that retires before then it will be in there

It probably won't be marked retired until well into next year.  Just saying this based on retirement timelines over the past few years.

I agree they will start getting scarce in the Fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giannini78 said:

Just picked up one of these today. When do you think it'll retire?

For us UKers TLG retirement mark usually comes earlier then across the pond.  I'd say it will last until the end of this year and you'll see stock clearance off and on.  Best I've seen this to date is 35% off I think (and when it was there a couple of times stock was wiped clean).
Been pretty much at 20% off in the UK for all of this year so now's a good time to start buying.  This set gets a lot of love from the OT fans (and even called the best of the wave in the reviews.  And that's a wave that includes IST and....errr....).   

One playset that's pretty movie accurate and you can display it for a pretty much every scene from the end of ROTJ.  So even though its a playset which tend not to rise as quickly i think it will do quite well.  Great mini-fig selection; where else can you get luke, palpatine, Vader - they're not throw aways.

And almost tempted to say that because its not a vehicle it might be overlooked in favor of people stocking up on IST and some of TFA ships.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...