Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 8 years later...

To Brickpicker admin.

Your listing for

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=375-2

has a used price of $60 for this set, while the Ebay listings are in the $200-$300 range. Why the difference?

This is a very old and rare set and there might not be enough "sold" sets in the database to give an accurate new/used price. Once those current listings from EBAY are sold, they will go into the calculations to give a more accurate average. I would just say from experience, the going rate for the Castle set #375-2 would be around $250 used and at least double that new.

• 7 months later...

Hello Brickpicker members...

Jeff and I just added a new feature to the site. If you look at my signature, you will see a summary of my personal "Brickfolio." You now have the option of showing other LEGO investors and collectors around the world your basic data from your LEGO collection. It is in a BETA, or test stage. Try it out if you want and give us some feedback. GO HERE to activate your Brickfolio Badge on your forum signature.

For a limited time, we will be giving Brickpicker members ONE BRICKPOINT for each referral received from this badge that was posted on another site or blog. Please do not abuse this or spam other sites with this banner in an excessive manner. We are trying to spread the word about Brickpicker.com, not get people angry at us. LOL. Also, don't try to abuse it or trick us with false referrals, Jeff is very good at figuring out BS. I hope you enjoy comparing your LEGO collection with other AFOLs from around the world. Please let us know if there are issues or improvements we can make on this feature. Thanks...

A very nice feature, and a great idea.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to activate my badge when I see your summary though Ed.....LOL.

Sorry, that was not my intention. There are many members with larger Brickfolios than me. Jeff just added the "private" feature, which is a good idea. We saw this type of idea implemented in the video game forums. People would post their stats for a particular game in the signatures in various game forums. To be honest, video game sites and forums are ahead of current LEGO sites in our opinion and we want to give people a taste of that kind of content and appearance.

• Like 1

Sorry, that was not my intention. There are many members with larger Brickfolios than me. Jeff just added the "private" feature, which is a good idea. We saw this type of idea implemented in the video game forums. People would post their stats for a particular game in the signatures in various game forums. To be honest, video game sites and forums are ahead of current LEGO sites in our opinion and we want to give people a taste of that kind of content and appearance.

I did not for one minute think that you or Jeff had anything other than good intentions.....I just saw your 'value' and thought that I have a MASSIVELY long way to go to truly call myself an investor! LOL. In fact, I reckon I've got years ahead of me - yet they are years that I look forward to. Bring it on!!!!

I like the tie-in to what other sites are doing and trying to introduce something that we may well see elsewhere. It all points to progress and I'm totally in favour of such. I like that you guys have added a toggle button where people can choose to show their collection/investment value or not. We are a family here on Brickpicker and I do not want to think that people will base their comments and/or posts with regard to other members worth. I don't think that will happen, but there always will be the so-called minority.

Guest idunno101

Really cool idea to promote brickpicker. The only problem I have though is that my most valuable set shows up as NA. I think it may be because it only grabs the most valuable set information from most valuable new set. But it should look at both new and used then compare the two and see which one is larger. But overall very nice.

Guest idunno101

@idunno101, you should now see your most valuable set. It does include used sets, just had to figure out why it did pick it up for you. It should work for everyone now.

Thanks Jeff it works now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It would be great if you guys added Minifig Values to your site (at least the licensed ones, which have the greatest value) - There are lots of collectors/Investors of these & it would be cool to see. I don't know exactly what data eBay provides to you (or how you are allowed to use it), so it might not be something you can do.

• Like 2

That is an option we could consider in the future, but to be honest, it would be very difficult to make happen. Here's why. LEGO minifigures that are not sold in a polybag do not have a number associated with them like the rest of the LEGO sets. If there is a number LEGO uses, most people really don't know what it is, so when they list an item on EBAY, they describe it in hundreds of different ways. It is next to impossible to get accurate listings unless it is done manually...and there could be tens of thousands of LEGO minifigures in existence. We could filter out a large portion of minifigures, but there would be many errors and people would have to sift through thousands of listings to get correct data. Here is an example of how people don't list items correctly: 2853590-1 Chrome Stormtrooper... Well, the 2853590-1 is the number, but out of the 20 or more EBAY listings, not one seller used it. See my point. Unlike actual LEGO sets that have set #s that people use in descriptions, minifigures are not described correctly by EBAY sellers and that is who we get our data from. Hope that helps. Thanks for a quality idea.

One last point. Our site is relatively new, less than a year, and there are many improvements in the works and additions we will make. We could be looking for quality people to help out in the future to help with tasks like checking data, writing reviews...that sort of thing. So if people want minifigure data and other improvements, volunteers will be needed to help. Just keep that in mind...

This is a great idea but as Ed noted, I see the major obstacle from a programming perspective.

Would bricklink prices on these figures be accessible? Don't they assign a primary identifier to each figure?

I know that Brickset assigns a number...not sure about Bricklink. I don't know if this is a number that Huw came up with or it is an actual LEGO number. As for Bricklink, they do not want to share their data with Brickset or us at the current moment. They are very protective of their data. Too bad really. Both Brickset and Brickpicker could help their sellers improve their sales and exposure. With combined data from EBAY and Bricklink, our Price Guide would be very, very accurate and great for the LEGO community.

As for our data from Terapeak, we can only work with what EBAY sellers use as descriptions on listings. If none of the sellers use a number to describe a minifigure, it is next to impossible for a two man operation to filter this data. It would make it so easy if LEGO just came out and said the number for a Han Solo minifigure from the 10179 Millennium Falcon would be something like 10179HS, but I guess that is not happening anytime soon.

Ed,

Do you really have 2600 sets?

WOW!

LOL...Probably more. I just inventoried them for insurance purposes and I really didn't count every one. There are many I missed. I also have to add custom MOCs, bulk and LEGO store displays that fill my office and storage room at my business, cars, garage and basement at home. You could do a whole video on THE BRICKSHOW with the stuff in my office. You could probably call the TV show Collection Intervention on me... ;)

I purchased this Unofficial LEGO Minifigure Book a little while back and I know they use the Bricklink ID scheme. I really haven't found anyone on eBay using this type of numbering to identify the minifigs at all. We have said many times that we would love to work with Bricklink to make their data available and send traffic to their store listings, but everything I read from the community on there is not to share, and I understand it in certain ways. I know Huw at Brickset was trying again to work with them, but not sure how successful that was and I think Eric there still has his hands full fixing all the issues from a few months back.

The minifig section will be a slow process, and mostly manual and like Ed suggested we would need some volunteers. When we are ready for that everyone will be informed.