75052 - Mos Eisley Cantina

glenbart

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Only 11 left.  I am high on this set but as of this weekend there are just so many bargains out there.  Could be kicking myself come xmas for not picking this one up

Great set and great collection of minifigs.  Just like a lot of play sets slow to rise (new ebay prices are not actually too bad for this one atm if you're a collector so its not a steal buying these now at rrp).  I expect it to do better when it gets to xmas and r1 gets released.  If that movie ends hours before ep IV then its a natural progression to go and see what happens to those plans.

+ I think the kenobi figure in this set is one of the best obi-wans to date! + people love the sand trooper.

They’ve listed a bunch on eBay just now, and they moved 20 odd of these on there yesterday, so there is some appetite, but a lot of people got this set at a serious discount, I wouldn’t go in for more at retail, unless it was a personal build.  

6 minutes ago, feed said:

They’ve listed a bunch on eBay just now, and they moved 20 odd of these on there yesterday, so there is some appetite, but a lot of people got this set at a serious discount, I wouldn’t go in for more at retail, unless it was a personal build.  

Have to agree there.  Getting this at retail now if you want the set is a no brainer to me.  Getting this now at retail if you want to INVEST in this set is not something I'd go for.  Like you said - a lot of people would be stocking this at least 30% discount.
In terms of a personal build even at £65 i think this is one of the top  sets available now at that price point (even taking into account all the discounts we currently have eg IST at £52 + a battle pack to get you up there).

This was around for about £45 for most of its life in the UK so I wouldn’t be surprised if the average buy in for a lot was around £40. I’m bullish on it long term, but it’s going to be a long time before demand beats supply on this one, so buying retail now and you’ll be waiting a while. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

this set has been a disappointment as an investment .   staring at 3 dozen more and the ones sent in to FBA only sell if you are willing to take paltry sums.

getting close to cracking the 3rd year post EOL and 1.6x msrp and 2x the permasale price of 54.99 relative to going FBA.

i'm sure one day when the seller count dips below 30, people will make  decent money, but from a cagr perspective, this is a dud at a buyin over $42.

this could possibly be the worst performing 2014 star wars set.  i'll have to crunch some numbers.  even the stupid salami battle set and santa's workshop kicking mos' arse.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cladner said:

this set has been a disappointment as an investment .   staring at 3 dozen more and the ones sent in to FBA only sell if you are willing to take paltry sums.

getting close to cracking the 3rd year post EOL and 1.6x msrp and 2x the permasale price of 54.99 relative to going FBA.

i'm sure one day when the seller count dips below 30, people will make  decent money, but from a cagr perspective, this is a dud at a buyin over $42.

this could possibly be the worst performing 2014 star wars set.  i'll have to crunch some numbers.  even the stupid salami battle set and santa's workshop kicking mos' arse.

75050 B wing is still below RRP.

15 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I do not understand aftermarket buyers. This set has several unique minifigures (and the dewback), and is an iconic scene from an OT film. Yet it has seen worse returns (compared to RRP) than the V-wing, which appears for all of 2 seconds in ROTS. Curse of the playsets continues.

indeed.  might also be partly due to reseller mix which has bias towards OT and against episodes i-iii .  small cheap vehicle sets from the prequels have been doing surprisingly well (well surprising to me at least).

16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

75050 B wing is still below RRP.

these are nearly double their bloated msrp and are going to hit triple the $35 permasale price within 6 months.   i'm surprised how well this set has done.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Curse of the playsets continues.

Disagree.  Curse of mass discounted stock.  It’s selling at over double my average buyin and I’m happy to move it at double buyin with the current low fees market place.  

• Like 1

Even the MTT that was released that summer has done better than this one.  I have a few of these left, and i've come to the conclusion this is a set you part out, but I haven't gotten into that game, so i'm going to stick it out for a while longer.  It's interesting that hoth playsets have no problem going above 2.5x, but the cantina scene does not.  Is there a phobia to sand based desert environments vs snow based desert environments?  I don't know.   But, really the only thing valuable in this set is the dewback maxifig.  And since so many people have parted this out, I think a lot of people just buy that.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I've always been interested in this set.  But found it a little skimpy for the price.  Would have been better if they ditched the dewback and land speeder and devoted the extra pieces to more minifigs and a larger, more detailed cantina.

This is why I kept 3 and you can never have enough dewbacks.

12 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Chit chat over at Eurobricks about a Cantina remake for 2018. If that´s true, then another B Wing can´t be far off.

And this is why Lego profits are down. The amount of Star Wars sets needed to fulfil current film ships and scenes would be enough to keep people happy without hitting the back catalog constantly. 

I think the reason people lose interest these days is because most can no longer afford to keep maintaining a full collection.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

4 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

And this is why Lego profits are down. The amount of Star Wars sets needed to fulfil current film ships and scenes would be enough to keep people happy without hitting the back catalog constantly. 

I think the reason people lose interest these days is because most can no longer afford to keep maintaining a full collection.

Or because they already have all the sets, albeit at a slightly different scale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Or because they already have all the sets, albeit at a slightly different scale.

That's my dilemma anymore.  I didn't pick up the new skiff, landspeeder or a rathtar escape but did buy all the minis from bricklink...I'll probably end up doing the same with many sets next year although the winter wave sounds great..