76013 - Batman: The Joker Steam Roller

terrymc4677

I searched for a thread for this set but didn't see one. Mods, if I missed it then please feel free to combine them.

With the recent clearance of this set at Target and Walmart, and the varying opinions on it's potential value and seemingly over abundant supply (at Target at least), I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to discuss.

Personally, I am a big believer in this set. It has five figs, four of which should be popular, a so-so bat-plane, and the very unique steam roller that the Joker drives. The steam roller is what caught my eye at first when this set was released. I think it fits the Joker to a tee, and I doubt we will ever see one again. This set should pair well with the funhouse and yet to be released joker land.

I currently have 27 of them all bought right around the current $35 clearance price, and the chance to buy several more. At 30% off I think this set is a no brainer, but the abundance of them at Target intrigues me. Why do they have so many, as compared to other retailers like walmart? My walmarts have been out of this set for awhile, but target keeps bringing them out to refill the shelf every time it's empty.

Since it appears that many of us are loaded up, this set may take awhile to see any solid gains, even if you are patient and roll the dice to try and score some at 50% off or more. Has anyone parted this set out with any consistent success? What are some other opinions on this set's potential?

• Like 5

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.  My first thought was that the Joker is going have to drive something when he goes to work at Jokerland.

I like other Batwings better than this plane thing, but at least it's a little different.  I do think that having two vehicles, one being pretty unique, alleviates some of the "minifig concerns".

I agree that it is weird that most of the Targets I searched were stocked to the hilt and the Walmarts were barren.

• Like 1

I checked my local Target tracker when this went on sale.  All Targets around here have TONS of these in inventory.  The Xmen Sentinel set is GONE.  I will grab a couple of these because it is Joker and it is unique, but there are many others I've going to be on before this on.  Hope I'm not wrong.

I cleared the shelf at the Target two miles from my house yesterday. I went back today to check a couple of other things and the shelf was packed tight with these. I didn't buy anymore today after reading about the abundance of them everywhere else. I figured I'd gamble and see if the new batch makes it to 50%, but I'm pretty sure it won't. I'll be kicking myself if they disappear, but if I go clear the shelf again at 30% I'll be kicking myself anyway when I start reading about everyone else getting these at 50% or more. Then I'll be sitting on over fifty of these things trying to sell against others with a much better margin. I typically hold for at least 2-4 years anyway before I sell, but with so many of these available this set might be a 5-6 year hold before any decent profit can be made if bought at 30%.

Why does Target have so many? I find it hard to believe that this set was unpopular. It's baffling.

I think it's a great set for building and playing for kids. Heck, I just purchased two at $36 each (sealed bags but no box) for my son's upcoming b-day and extra parts.

I'm just not investing in this set even at $35 each. Why? The Super Hero theme is saturated and there always seems to be a new kid on the block or flavor of the month. i rather spend the money elsewhere in themes where I don't have to worry about refreshes every year with vehicles and / or minifigures.

I can only imagine the prices this set would have fetched if part of the Batman 1 theme...

• Like 2

I think it's a great set for building and playing for kids. Heck, I just purchased two at $36 each (sealed bags but no box) for my son's upcoming b-day and extra parts.

I'm just not investing in this set even at $35 each. Why? The Super Hero theme is saturated and there always seems to be a new kid on the block or flavor of the month. i rather spend the money elsewhere in themes where I don't have to worry about refreshes every year with vehicles and / or minifigures.

I can only imagine the prices this set would have fetched if part of the Batman 1 theme...

Would you invest at $25?  Hehehehehe...

Would you invest at $25? Hehehehehe...

Don't know. At $25 each, I would want 50 sets, however, the opportunity cost is too great when I csn have a safer and even more rewarding return with $1,250 invested in exclusives that might retire this yr.

Now if you told me Lego would slow down the # of Batman (and Hero in general) sets each yr, then I would buy a ton at even $35. Just so many hero sets that is competing with at retail and will after retirement

Think now in general just have to look big picture on these type sets with themes / lots.  When Joker land comes out , I can see really cool combos with 6857, 76013, and Jokerland.  People will want to build them together and think you'll net more profit than the sets would warrant on there own.  

Individual set sales are getting tougher and tougher.  As you stated there are new versions  / refreshes all the time so the ones that offer pieces that go together well will do better.  There will be a shift to creative lots and having the right sets / quantities of each to make them attractive to the buyer.

Just have to try to be 40% off average for you lot and there will be good money.  On a $200 retail lot if you get into them at 40 off and your buy in on the lot is $120 at least once they disappear and get back to retail you can make some decent money.

If not you could be holding individual sets for a longer time to get the desired amount.

• Like 1

I've been a bit surprised at all of the people scooping these up at $35. I don't doubt the set will see decent gains down the road, but are you better off putting a few hundred into these at $35 or an exclusive from LEGO Shop at Home with double points in a few weeks?

However, any of you Northern California brickpickers still looking for them, check out the store in Rocklin:

The shelves in the regular aisles are packed too. A few Spider-copters and X-men sets as well.

• Like 1

Man the shelves at my local targets do not look like that, I'm jealous. 

Its funny, but I've been passing on these at $35 but if they drop to $25 I'll probably buy a bunch. Like Raven was saying at 40-50% off msrp you can atleast get out of the investment without much loss if things turn bad. At $35 buy-in if this set hangs around for another year or two because they made a **** ton you might be stuck holding it. Not the worst thing if you're investing in this long-term but flippers like me are scared of commitment. 

Man the shelves at my local targets do not look like that, I'm jealous. 

Its funny, but I've been passing on these at $35 but if they drop to $25 I'll probably buy a bunch. Like Raven was saying at 40-50% off msrp you can atleast get out of the investment without much loss if things turn bad. At $35 buy-in if this set hangs around for another year or two because they made a **** ton you might be stuck holding it. Not the worst thing if you're investing in this long-term but flippers like me are scared of commitment. 

Most of mine don't either. I just took the picture to screw with my wife. She was not amused when she thought I would be coming home with another stack of LEGO. 

• Like 2

A glut in certain places doesn't worry me too much. This is one of the better Batman sets - it kinda reminds me of Batman & Two Face in that it is a little better than a $24.99 generic set and certainly looks pretty cool.

Plenty of sets that have been on clearance at some point in their cycle have gone on to do just fine EOL, and I think this will be another. I'm stocking up on them this week from the TRU.CA sale + coupon which puts the buy in around $42, tax in. Considering the current exchange rate to USD, it is pretty competitive and I doubt I'll get a chance to get these with a better discount. That being said, most sets that are clearanced from B&M seem to sometimes stick around several more months online. I'm hoping this set doesn't make it through the entire holiday season this year - but that might be wishful thinking.

• Like 1

I am more interested in seeing if this really goes, or if it will be like Daily Bugle which was clearanced last year at this time the same way, but then was restocked at Walmart and others. If it's going away, then I like it a ton. If it gets restocked, I still like it, but wonder how many will be stashed in another year. Daily Bugle will be an interesting barometer for similar reasons.

As for the glut of Super Heroes sets, it is kind of tough since there isn't anything to really compare it to, but I am trusting the sets with 1 time only unique figs.

• Like 1

A glut in certain places doesn't worry me too much. This is one of the better Batman sets - it kinda reminds me of Batman & Two Face in that it is a little better than a $24.99 generic set and certainly looks pretty cool.

Plenty of sets that have been on clearance at some point in their cycle have gone on to do just fine EOL, and I think this will be another. I'm stocking up on them this week from the TRU.CA sale + coupon which puts the buy in around $42, tax in. Considering the current exchange rate to USD, it is pretty competitive and I doubt I'll get a chance to get these with a better discount. That being said, most sets that are clearanced from B&M seem to sometimes stick around several more months online. I'm hoping this set doesn't make it through the entire holiday season this year - but that might be wishful thinking.

what coupon code is there this week?

I am more interested in seeing if this really goes, or if it will be like Daily Bugle which was clearanced last year at this time the same way, but then was restocked at Walmart and others. If it's going away, then I like it a ton. If it gets restocked, I still like it, but wonder how many will be stashed in another year. Daily Bugle will be an interesting barometer for similar reasons.

As for the glut of Super Heroes sets, it is kind of tough since there isn't anything to really compare it to, but I am trusting the sets with 1 time only unique figs.

What indication is there that this set is going away? IIRC it's only been out for about a year. I would estimate it's got a good 12-18 months to go, maybe longer with the constant influx of Batman sets to choose from. Just a guess.

What indication is there that this set is going away? IIRC it's only been out for about a year. I would estimate it's got a good 12-18 months to go, maybe longer with the constant influx of Batman sets to choose from. Just a guess.

I don't think it necessarily is, just that people are speculating about it a little since they're being cleared out. There have been sets in the past where Target has done this and they haven't come back in stock. 

It's being clearanced at both Target and Walmart. Seems like Lego pulled the plug on it. Could go along with all the other retirement chaos. Maybe lego has shifted from 1-2 year before EOL to 6 mo.-1 yr EOL. They know people will buy the stuff up because if not, they will have missed out. Seems like they are playing resellers at their own game.