76013 - Batman: The Joker Steam Roller

terrymc4677

It will be interesting to see if people start posting about 70% off around next Wednesday. With the quantity at my Target, it would not surprise me.

i cleaned out 2 stores near me but the other stores nearby are showing drops from 20-30 counts yesterday now into the low teens.

plus the deal is already posted in slickdeals forums - it hasn't made the front page but once that hoarde is onto it you can forget it.

these will gone around me by the end of the weekend.

I picked up 12 steamrollers at 50% off, debating grabbing a few more. I don't suspect many big cities or areas with a healthy amount of brickpickers will see these sets to 70% so I should probably jump on it now if I want some. 

definitely.  here is what i saw yesterday.  3 targets with massive stock of steamrollers at 50% off(about 25 each).  I bought 2 from each and called it a day.  my buddy called me about 5 hours later saying all 3 targets sold out.  so now i am eagerly awaiting the other 11 targets to drop to 50% and going to pick up more.

I'm with jaisonline on this one.  I just can't get excited about this set.  Maybe some interesting minifigs, but there'll always be more batmans, robins and jokers.  A weird steamroller and a weird batwing... ok... maybe kind of fun to build and interesting for some... but is it prime "must have" collector material? I think not.

Folks are saying they'll make a killing next Christmas, but are you sure that this is what every kid is going to want Xmas 2015? What about all the other new superhero sets... won't they want those?  Some say it is a big winner 2-3 years down the road, but what makes you so sure?  The Brickpicker price guide says these have been selling at a rate of 10 or 20 per month on ebay ... so that means what... 50 or 100 per month on Amazon?

There are 1790 Target stores in the USA.  If investors are buying, say, 9 Steamrollers at each one, then they will have stockpiled 16,110 of these by next week.  They'd better start selling them soon, because they'll need to move about 380 per month for the next three and-a-half-years.  I hope everyone gets the ROI they had hoped for.

Maybe I'm nuts.  Maybe this will be the best investment of 2015.  But I'm just going to sit this one out.  If nothing else, it feels nice not being part of the feeding frenzy (for once).

• Like 3

Some see weirdness in the set, whil others see uniqueness. Batgirl is still semi-exclusive to this set, is she?  Regardless, it is a batman set at 50% off.  Until I see a batman set being a bust, I still believe you can do much worse with your money buying other sets.

Edited by allen9917

Batgirl is exclusive to this set.  Ebay sales are low quantity because this is available almost everywhere right now.  Why would you buy it on the secondary market when you can go to Target, Walmart, or TRU and buy it?  My intent is to hold these for retirement and I expect this one is half way there, if not closer.

• Like 1

I think this will do as well as the funhouse ($74 fba currently). Funhouse was easily hoarded thanks to frequent tru sales online. Steamroller can only be had in store cheap and not every store is marking it at half. I like it to hit $75 or so 6 months or so after retirement. Won't be a home run but it's a safe smaller investment. 

Some see weirdness in the set, whil others see uniqueness. Batgirl is still semi-exclusive to this set, is she?  Regardless, it is a batman set at 50% off.  Until I see a batman set being a bust, I still believe you can do much worse with your money buying other sets.

Batgirl is exclusive to this set.  Ebay sales are low quantity because this is available almost everywhere right now.  Why would you buy it on the secondary market when you can go to Target, Walmart, or TRU and buy it?  My intent is to hold these for retirement and I expect this one is half way there, if not closer.

Batgirl is part of the problem. While AFOLs might be excited for that minifig, kids really don't care about Batgirl except maybe girls. ...and how many girls are getting this $50 set for batgirl? Prob not many,

I see 3 positives with this set. Joker wearing the hat, a short Robin (which can be made pretty easily although it won't be exact) and the steamroller. The steamroller is killer cool. In my opinion, everything else is "blah". So for joker, vertically challenged robin, and the steamroller, I'll be these for $25-$30 all day long because I know other resellers will buy these from me w/in 18 months for at least $46 plus postage (worse case scenario).

Now here is another problem. What happens if TRU is left with tons of these at $50 retail for 6-12 months after retirement? That is a prob that can likely happen.

I bought 18 more so I'm at 30 altogether. I keep swaying between excited about this set to kicking myself wondering why I bought something that will take two years to get back above msrp.

You do know that holding 1-3 years to maximize ROI w/o the flipping risk is usually the norm, right? Granted, Superhero sets is prob 1 year after retirement unless it's not refreshed (e.g. The latest Arkham set)

comments about soooooo many people buying a set as a reason to not invest really make me scratch my head because its like you are saying the rest of the time when you buy a set, its your little secret and no one else is buying that set to invest in.

thousands of lego investors/collectors are buying thousands of copies of sets including the ones that don't get talked about and cleared at 50% off & including the ones that people think they are the only one hoarding. 

• Like 6

You do know that holding 1-3 years to maximize ROI w/o the flipping risk is usually the norm, right? Granted, Superhero sets is prob 1 year after retirement unless it's not refreshed (e.***. The latest Arkham set)

Most of the stuff I buy is retiring soon and I sell within 1 year of purchase, generally after the post-retirement initial price surge that most sets get. If I guessed wrong I usually dump them at xmas when prices are atleast msrp. I guess my method of sales is closer to flipping and less hold 1-3 years.

Amazon sales ranks as of a couple days ago (Toys & Games category). For comparison a few sets widely mentioned on here as sets to buy on clearance.

#2357 Milano

#2588 Steamroller

#3548 Xmen vs Sentinel

#3582 Benny

#5996 Dropship

Only the Milano is a better seller, and not really by much.

That all being said I bought 2 Benny, 1 Milano, 1 Dropship and 8 Steamrollers so perhaps my view is skewed.

Amazon sales ranks as of a couple days ago (Toys & Games category). For comparison a few sets widely mentioned on here as sets to buy on clearance.

#2357 Milano

#2588 Steamroller

#3548 Xmen vs Sentinel

#3582 Benny

#5996 Dropship

Only the Milano is a better seller, and not really by much.

That all being said I bought 2 Benny, 1 Milano, 1 Dropship and 8 Steamrollers so perhaps my view is skewed.

The demand is skewed when they can no longer be found as well.