Brickpicker Project: Looking for High Quality Photos of Sets

Hello everyone, Ed and I are calling out to all of our members and visitors to ask for people that can take high quality photos of Built or Boxed LEGO sets.  We are technically looking for hundreds of sets.  Please post here or get in touch with me if you are someone that is decent/good/great photographer and can take a lot of photos of sets.  They need to be clean images, not images where the flash is blurring out the box. You need to be the 100% owner of these images.

Right now we are really looking for great photos of #10179 Millennium Falcon. This project is not something that we can just go out and grab images off the internet.  We are working with a group of people that will need a signed release form. If this is something that you can offer quite a bit of assistance with, we would be willing to work something out with you for the items and/or time that you can offer.

Please do not offer LEGO owned images or photos off Flickr/Google. That is not what we are looking for.

Thank you

I'm 100% willing to help. What is the definition of the high quality photos that you are looking for?

I do not currently own a boxed 10179.

That's fine, I don't own one either.  I am waiting for Ed to give me one of his :)

As far as high quality photos, they need to be fairly large in size ( high megapixel) and its about the lighting and setup.  take a look at this persons photos from Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10335017@N07/

Notice the even lighting, does it have to be this perfect, no not really, but its trying to keep the consistant and avoid crazy lighting issues

That's fine, I don't own one either.  I am waiting for Ed to give me one of his :)

As far as high quality photos, they need to be fairly large in size ( high megapixel) and its about the lighting and setup.  take a look at this persons photos from Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10335017@N07/

Notice the even lighting, does it have to be this perfect, no not really, but its trying to keep the consistant and avoid crazy lighting issues

So, the guy was not interested?

Hey Jeff, Feel free to use any pic from my review threads. I have some good ones especially in the 10225, Cloud City, 10226, and Emerald Night threads. I took them all except where noted. I can get more 10179 pics.

We might need your help at one point.  Fame and fortune awaits.  LOL

• Like 1

I have taken similar photos of action figures both in and out of packaging, and I have probably just over 100 different LEGO sets to photograph myself, so that may give you a chip of what you're looking for. I can also take photos of sets other members of my LUG own that I do not. I would be the sole owner of the picture while they remain the owner of the item, and I could collect releases from both people if necessary.

The example you pointed out is exactly what I was asking about, especially if the quality of the original images is the desired level.

I'd put myself in the category of a good photographer as long as we're sticking to toys and packaging. Once you throw in people, animals, or artistic stuff, it gets a little less great. I own some lighting and backdrops for toy photographing purposes as well. Action figures were usually a significant challenge due to the reflective plastic bubble on the front.

There are likely much better photographers and/or much larger set variety owners in the forums, but I'd be happy to help wherever I can.

Do you have a 10179 Falcon, 10030 Star Destroyer or SSD?

If you're looking for a 10030 ISD, and can't find one from anyone else, keep me in mind.  I just obtained one.  I'm still missing about 20 pieces, and need to source those.  I plan on building it sometime in the next couple of months.  I don't have a box.  My photo skills are okay.  I can source some nicer lighting and backgrounds to make the pictures a bit more professional (I have the equipment, I just don't normally pull it out).

This here is some of the list, but more than enough to get started so that people can see what they have or not.  As far as box photos, it would be good to get a straight on view, angled view and shot of the back.

10181-1 Eiffel Tower
10189-1 Taj Mahal
3450-1 Statue of Liberty
10213-1/10231-1 Shuttle Adventure
10196-1 Grand Carousel
10155-1 Maersk Container Ship
10182-1 Cafe Corner
10185-1 Green Grocer
10197-1 Fire Brigade
10224-1 Town Hall
10190-1 Market Street
10221-1 Super Star Destroyer
10218-1 Pet Shop
10232-1 Palace Cinema
10243-1 Parisian Restaurant
10246-1 Detective's Office
10230-1 Mini Modulars
10187-1 Volkswagen Beetle
10177-1 Boeing 787 Dreamliner
10184-1 Town Plan
10226-1/3451-1 Sopwith Camel
21016-1 Sungnyemun
21000-1 Sears Tower
21001-1 John Hancock Center
21010-1 Robie House
21021-1 Marina Bay Sands
21008-1 Burj Khalifa-Dubai
21004-1 Solomon Guggenheim Museum
21005-1 Fallingwater
7884-1 Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze
7783-1 The Batcave: The Penguin and Mr. Freeze's Invasion
7784-1 The Batmobile: Ultimate Collectors' Edition
7785-1 Arkham Asylum
4526-1 Batman
4527-1 The Joker
10937-1 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout
30160-1 Batman Jetski
76023-1 The Tumbler
6860-1 The Batcave
10204-1 Vezon & Kardas
8733-1 Axonn
8734-1 Brutaka
8764-1 Vezon & Fenrakk
7094-1 King's Castle Siege
7093-1 Skeleton Tower
375-2 Castle
10193-1 Medieval Market Village
7898-1 Cargo Train Deluxe
7905-1 Building Crane
3182-1 Airport
7744-1 Police Headquarters
7893-1 Passenger Plane
7892-1 Hospital
4210-1 Coast Guard Platform
7739-1 Coast Guard Patrol Boat & Tower
7945-1 Fire Station
4957-1 Ferris Wheel
4954-1 Model Town House
4958-1 Monster Dino
5887-1 Dino Defense HQ
5882-1 Ambush Attack
3187-1 Butterfly Beauty Shop
3185-1 Summer Riding Camp
41023-1 Fawn's Forest
41508-1 Volectro
41015-1 Dolphin Cruiser
3315-1 Olivia

Actually it's not that difficult to take that kind of pictures.

I guess anybody with a portable flash (speedlight) and a SLR can take them.

The guy works with a white paper background (a sweep background (sorry I don't know if the term is correct in english in German it's called "Hohlkehle")).

When taking pictures of boxes a filter might also come in handy so that the reflecting flash doesn't disturb the image. (Preferably you can avoid this situation though by using the right angle).

Here is a link if some of you own the right equipment and need some tipps on lighting:

http://strobist.blogspot.ch/2014/01/lighting-101-to-go.html

I'd like to help more, but I'm travelling a lot right now so I won't have time to take any pictures sorry.

Also it would be useful to know what exactly you mean with "big pictures" because I think you talk about pixels not about actual size (which is always changeable (with loss of quality)).

I guess most cameras do fulfill the requirements though.

Also it would be useful to know what exactly you mean with "big pictures" because I think you talk about pixels not about actual size (which is always changeable (with loss of quality)).

I guess most cameras do fulfill the requirements though.

Thanks for your photo tips.  Ideally, I would like to try and photos that are greater than 2000 x 2000 pixels.  

I could potentially help, although I'm more of an outdoor, nature photographer than indoor, studio photographer.  I could try photographing a set, send the photos, and see if they meet your needs.

I have the following sets on your list that I have currently built that I could photograph:

10225-1 R2-D2

10188 - Death Star
10240-1 Red Five X-wing Starfighter
75005-1 Rancor Pit
9516-1 Jabba's Palace

Also, many other Star Wars sets not on your list if needed, including Slave I.

I could also help with box photographs of the above sets as well as these:

10237-1 Tower of Orthanc
79018-1 The Lonely Mountain
79003-1 An Unexpected Gathering
10228-1 Haunted House

10224-1 Town Hall
10218-1 Pet Shop
10226-1 Sopwith Camel

10235-1 Winter Village Market
40106-1 Elves' Workshop

I mainly have newer boxed sets in common with everyone.  I can submit a list of what I have and a sample to see if I have what you are looking for.

From the samples you linked, I am assuming you would like a white seamless background with small diffused shadows and no hot spots.  Is that the general idea?  My photo set up was sized for small products before I ever dreamt of a SSD, but I am willing to upgrade for a good cause.  Right now I top out at 16" Lego boxes for high quality backgrounds.

Long time lurker, but I would be able to help here! I've got a large photography setup, full length infinity white background and studio lights/diffusers... have worked for a professional studio in the past. Depends on the timeline, really, as I have a busy few weeks coming up in March. I do have a LOT of the sets you are wanting (not so much star wars, but modulars, architecture, maersk train, cuusoo (minus the sub), all the winter sets, etc.Not a ton are built, but I can do boxes no problem!

• Like 2