Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Alright folks, I'm looking to start a Bricklink store, for sets only.  I'm not going down the parting out path.  I'm trying to add sets but the "upload" option is just bringing in an external list from another website.  I don't have tons of sets to put up, so doing it manually wouldn't be th worst thing in the world, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.  I hate feeling like a noob, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this topic in here.  Also, showing a guy like me how to do html would be a huge help as well.  Thanks.

I'm shooting a bit in the dark here as I've never listed a complete set, but going through my normal process it looks like you should be able to click the "sell" tab, then "sets", then choose theme and type, etc. - is that path not working for you?

HTML I'm even worse. I know how to make paragraph spacing and bold letters. ;)

@Huskers1236, you can download a program called BrickStock at brickstock.patrickbrans.com.   This is an easier way to add lots of items.  You can create a file, add what you want to it, check quantities, see current for-sale and average-selling-price for each item.  You can add comments (if desired) about box condition.  Then you can upload everything right into BL.

Alright folks, I'm looking to start a Bricklink store, for sets only.  I'm not going down the parting out path.  I'm trying to add sets but the "upload" option is just bringing in an external list from another website.  I don't have tons of sets to put up, so doing it manually wouldn't be th worst thing in the world, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.  I hate feeling like a noob, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this topic in here.  Also, showing a guy like me how to do html would be a huge help as well.  Thanks.

click "sell"

then sets, then submit

find the category and then set number

then read through each line before hitting review item at bottom

Return policy

Detailed international shipping info

Postage insurance and signature policy

I'm sticking to domestic shipping and say that, so I have that covered in my shipping area.  Return policy is a good one I need to add.  Insurance another good item to add. 

I know that USPS isn't always the fastest/cheapest.  But is it easier to stick to one service?  Simple First Class/Standard/Priority good enough?

I'm sticking to domestic shipping and say that, so I have that covered in my shipping area.  Return policy is a good one I need to add.  Insurance another good item to add. 

I know that USPS isn't always the fastest/cheapest.  But is it easier to stick to one service?  Simple First Class/Standard/Priority good enough?

Darth_vader_no.gif

UPS and FedEx will save you (and your buyers) so much on postage compared to USPS for packages more than 4 pounds.  The cost difference / gap gets wider with each pound over 4.  now international is a diff story, i use usps priority express all the time .

e.g.

shipping one 10221 SSD from Balt (21220) to Cali (90017). 

$400 insurance.

20 pounds.

24"x 8"x 20" Box

USPS Priority will cost $61.35 (buying online)

USPS Standpost =  $44.96.

UPS Ground = $27.84 (entry level biz account)

UPS Ground = $42.71 (no biz account)

Fedex Ground = $33.69 (no biz account & no insurance)

Fedex Ground = $30.32 (standard -10% biz account & no insurance)

Quick question from a relatively new BrickLink user here:

I've got a handful of sets that are incomplete, and I would like to part them out.

I tried using the feature to Part out a set last night, and went down the list and entered the quantity of the parts that I had, and I entered "0" as quantity for the parts I was missing.   BL did not seem to like this and I got the error message that I could not enter a quantity of Zero for items...

Did I miss a step, or a checkbox somewhere?  Or will BL only allow you to part out a set that you have everything for?  (that seems silly, so I assume it's the former).

Thanks to all for sharing your experience!

Quick question from a relatively new BrickLink user here:

I've got a handful of sets that are incomplete, and I would like to part them out.

I tried using the feature to Part out a set last night, and went down the list and entered the quantity of the parts that I had, and I entered "0" as quantity for the parts I was missing.   BL did not seem to like this and I got the error message that I could not enter a quantity of Zero for items...

Did I miss a step, or a checkbox somewhere?  Or will BL only allow you to part out a set that you have everything for?  (that seems silly, so I assume it's the former).

Thanks to all for sharing your experience!

You can use a quantity of 0 if you make it a stockroom item. What they want you to do in those cases is to delete the item using the checkbox in the lower right of the item.

Thanks, I'll take a look for that tonight.  I figured I must have missed a checkbox somewhere.

I see there's some really neat capabilities available to handle inventory, but as a new user getting started, it comes off a bit complex.

I've been on BL for over a year now, and really serious about it as a growing business since February, and I'm still constantly learning new, hidden functions (or weird, arcane ways of performing what should be perfectly simple functions) every week.

It's a lumbering old dinosaur of a site, but it does have some really neat infrastructure to go with the peeling paint and smelly carpets.

Question. What site can you sell for the highest price? Bricklink, brickowl, or eBay?

For sets and minifigures, generally eBay, even taking into account the higher fees. You have stronger and much less educated traffic there.

For parts, it may still be eBay, but that's a tough venue with all the different fees for trying to sell individual, or even most groups, of parts. We did some of that early on, but found it easier just to concentrate on Bricklink (and hopefully sometime Brickowl).

For sets and minifigures, generally eBay, even taking into account the higher fees. You have stronger and much less educated traffic there.

For parts, it may still be eBay, but that's a tough venue with all the different fees for trying to sell individual, or even most groups, of parts. We did some of that early on, but found it easier just to concentrate on Bricklink (and hopefully sometime Brickowl).

Wow I always thought brickink sold for more also considering their selling fees are significantly lower. If I have NIB sets but have creases in done of them can I still label as NIB on both eBay and brickink? I hear buyers are very picky on bricklink.

Wow I always thought brickink sold for more also considering their selling fees are significantly lower. If I have NIB sets but have creases in done of them can I still label as NIB on both eBay and brickink? I hear buyers are very picky on bricklink.

Yes, just be sure to describe the box flaws (on either venue). Take photos, also. You want to give your buyers every chance to see the true condition of the item before they buy.

Between brickpicker and brickowl which sells for more money?

You're looking for certainties in an uncertain market, as almost all markets are.

Neither Brickpicker nor Brickowl have an auction function, so price is set the by the seller and then you simply wait to see if a buyer appears. There is going to be no overall consensus on which of these two sites consistently bring in the most money across the board - it's going to depend on buyer search patterns, buyer savvy, what other sellers are listing on the venue at a given time, and whether a butterfly flaps its wings somewhere in the Orient.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you cancel a Bricklink order? I had a seller message me saying one of the items I ordered was not in stock, I ordered from him because he had the 3 pieces I needed. I don't want the other random stuff I ordered to get over the $ amount per order threshold if I can't get one of the parts I actually needed.