9467 - The Ghost Train

StarPod

I think it will definitely be a winner, but I also think $300-$400 might be a stretch. Sure it is a train, but it doesn't have much for mini figs, and Monster Fighters isn't a widespread classic. It will have more of a cult following, but I just feel like your price guess is a little high. Definitely pick some up at Walmart for $54.00 if you can find them though.

< Definitely pick some up at Walmart for $54.00 if you can find them though.> Want this so bad. Its will be a winner IMHO. Looking everywhere but no luck...regular price $79.99 all Walmat stores around. Sad. P.S. I will get it, couple of them waiting somewhere for me :-), I know for sure. I am coming for U...

i also think it will be a winner, but not quite that high. maybe 200-250 after eol. it is a train, yes, and it is pretty cool, but it doesn't come with any track and it isn't motorized. these have been on clearance for $54 at all the walmarts in town, and for $47 at all the shopkos in my area. i picked up 10 of them, only because they are so cheap. at those prices, how can i not do well on them a few years down the road? one interesting note...they were on clearance at walmart for $54 the day after xmas. they stayed at that price for at least three weeks, and the stores still could not get rid of them all. i just noticed yesterday that they are back up to regular retail now for $79! i am tempted to take a few back and gain $30 each just for holding onto them for a few weeks...lol.

it is a train, yes, and it is pretty cool, but it doesn't come with any track and it isn't motorized.

This is a great point. A lot of people (myself included) probably hadn't taken this into consideration. I think it does change the dynamics a little. These points will very likely equate to a smaller profit than the previous successful trains.

This is a great point. A lot of people (myself included) probably hadn't taken this into consideration. I think it does change the dynamics a little. These points will very likely equate to a smaller profit than the previous successful trains.

Exactly, it's not like the other trains that you can power up and run on a track. You can't use Power Functions or run the Ghost Train on a track without doing some serious modifications. I think this set could still do well, but I don't think it will do as well as some of the other trains for the simple fact that it doesn't have the playability factor of being able to power it up and run it.

Hmm...have we all acted too hastily by loading up on Ghost Trains??? After all this discussion, I am honestly reconsidering a little bit. I can't get past the fact that the mini figures included with it are kind of crappy too.

I still think it will do okay. I picked up a couple myself. This set is a toss up IMO, it could go either way once EOL. I'm just saying, in my opinion I don't have the warm and fuzzy (safe investment) feeling about it doing really well once EOL, that I had when I purchased the Emerald Night and Maersk Train. Those two trains are in the same category as the old Santa Fe trains, and the Ghost Train does not fall into that category. Train investors and collectors could care less about the Ghost Train and will not be trying to chase it down for double retail once EOL. However the Ghost Train does go right along with the HH and the Vampyre Castle and it's one sweet looking set IMO, and that's why I'm a bit optimistic about it if you can find it for the right price. Time will tell with this set, fingers crossed!

Let me also add that one of the reasons Lego trains do well once EOL is because they have a huge adult collector fan base, and those adults have the money to pay double retail, etc. IMO the Ghost Train is not a train that these adults with money to spend, will be after as much. Yes some may want it, but it will not be near as collectable among train collectors as the Santa Fe's, EN's, and MT's. Just something to think about.

I am just having a little fun. :) I still think it will be ok. Especially at the $54 price tag. But there is a reason I stopped at only 2. I am just not THAT sure about this set. Plus I still have a very low budget for doing this, and I think there are better and safer investment sets out there than the Ghost Train. Here is my honest take on the Ghost Train... Because it is not your typical train, the train fanatics are not going to be all over it. Even though it is a very cool set, I would be willing to bet that it is one of the last sets people buy when completing their Monster Fighters theme. It just has such weak mini figures. And if you're not into trains, then this set doesn't offer much. I think we will see the value climb on this set after retirement mostly because there are those people who still have collections to complete, and this is the piece they are missing.

my plan with these once they go eol is to put it them on ebay in mid to late september / early october, so all of those halloween fanatics who like to decorate their house will hopefully pounce on them. of the 10 that i snatched up, i paid $54 for four of them, and $47 for the other six. at those prices i am fairly confident that i will be able to at least double, and if i am lucky, triple my money on them.

Here is my honest take on the Ghost Train... Because it is not your typical train, the train fanatics are not going to be all over it. Even though it is a very cool set, I would be willing to bet that it is one of the last sets people buy when completing their Monster Fighters theme. It just has such weak mini figures. And if you're not into trains, then this set doesn't offer much. I think we will see the value climb on this set after retirement mostly because there are those people who still have collections to complete, and this is the piece they are missing.

This feels like a logical look at things and I'm leaning towards this opinion. The Ghost Train is cool, but an odd stepchild of train sets. Besides the Ghost & Grandfather Clock polybag, Halloween Accessory Pack, and Haunted House, this is the only other set with the redesigned ghost minifigure which can be a reselling point later on. Eh, sort of. It's original price point and design does make it one of the last ones in the theme that a person will collect to complete their collection.

Honestly, I would buy the Haunted House before this one cause of "The Addams Family"ness of that set. Plus it is the closest thing to an official LEGO Halloween modular you will ever get.

I was able to find a Ghost Train today for $54 at my local Walmart. I was wondering if anyone knew what parts I would need to make this motorized.

I saw a post on this topic either on here or RebelScum. From what I read, Stephen pretty much stated what was typed, I read it was a lot of work and expensive, I these also at $54 each so my next Halloween prj will be turning one into a powered set for my son (and myself).

I'll read up on Lego trains (9v vs the current standard), tracks, etc... I will most likely buy most of the parts and elements used. I just hope a Lego train motor can fit into the Ghost locomotive without much surgery.