Bricklinking for the thrill of the build - and the lowest price

FattyMatty

I'm fairly new to my adult reintroduction of Lego, and this has meant i've had my beady little eyes on more of the larger more advanced sets to build, which inevitably has lead me to drool over some of the EOL more expensive sets available. And like a lot of people out there I can't justify paying (read: my wife won't let me pay) hundreds sometimes thousands on a set just to build it and break it down again (maybe display it if she thinks it's pretty and there's room).

So with budget in mind I started bricklinking 10221 Super Star Destroyer.

Now, apart from a few of the more expensive parts (I'm not bothering with minifigs) I've actually stayed fairly true to the original colours, but as I'm looking at the instructions (printed at work to keep the price down) and browsing bricklink, I'm realising that I could have substituted a lot more of the colours (for the bricks that aren't even visible) and kept the price down even further. Not only because a different colour would have been cheaper but also because I could have reduced the amount of stores I purchased from and thus reduced shipping costs.

I still have a few things to purchase but they're all very common cheap pieces but all-in-all I've managed to keep this build well under $400 ($200 when I tell the wife). If I had of read the instructions earlier and figured out which bricks don't show and could have been a different colour I think I could have got it down close to $300, when you compare this to the $550 I would have to pay for a used set on Ebay I'm pretty happy with the outcome (obviously this could change when everything arrives, I build it and get OCD about everything not being the exact right colour).

All this leads nicely into the inevitable question.

How many of you, that actually read this far down, would sacrifice targeted brick colours for the sole purpose of keeping the price of a set down just so that you can have the fun of building it? And I'm not talking about just buying the black masts for 10179, I'm thinking more along the lines of having the whole insides of it black if you knew that you couldn't tell by looking at the outside of it and it saving you half the buy price.

P.s. Since I doubt my wife will find this build very pretty, and she'll inevitably find out exactly how much I spent, I'm going to have a little foresight and ask if anyone would be interested in buying this after I'm done building it?

• Like 1

How many of you, that actually read this far down, would sacrifice targeted brick colours for the sole purpose of keeping the price of a set down just so that you can have the fun of building it? And I'm not talking about just buying the black masts for 10179, I'm thinking more along the lines of having the whole insides of it black if you knew that you couldn't tell by looking at the outside of it and it saving you half the buy price.

For me, I would not sacrifice targeted brick colors to keep the price down. I would rather have the set as close to original colors throughout the set as possible. If you do this, it would be a lot easier selling it than have one that is not all original colors.

As mentioned above, because you plan on selling it then use the correct pieces.

If you plan to keep it a long long while then by all means do it. Just maybe that far down the road people lookin to buy the set won't care what you did with the innards. Haha

For me, I would not sacrifice targeted brick colors to keep the price down. I would rather have the set as close to original colors throughout the set as possible. If you do this, it would be a lot easier selling it than have one that is not all original colors.

I completely respect that. I think i'm more looking at just being able to afford the set to build than being able to have it perfect so that I can re-sell it.

As mentioned above, because you plan on selling it then use the correct pieces.

If you plan to keep it a long long while then by all means do it. Just maybe that far down the road people lookin to buy the set won't care what you did with the innards. Haha

That's the problem, on some of these sets I can't justify the cost of buying the correct pieces, it raises the price of the set way to much, even if I do it knowing I'll sell it on after

. If there were other people out there that didn't mind changing the colours to keep the cost down then we could get an exchanging thing going but If I'm the only person that's willing to do it then I have to face the fact that I won't be able to sell these on.

I completely respect that. I think i'm more looking at just being able to afford the set to build than being able to have it perfect so that I can re-sell it.

I see why you want to keep the cost down. Buying a used 10179 MF isn't cheap so replacing some of the pieces to keep the cost is a good idea, especially if you are going to keep the set for a long time.

That's the problem, on some of these sets I can't justify the cost of buying the correct pieces, it raises the price of the set way to much, even if I do it knowing I'll sell it on after

. If there were other people out there that didn't mind changing the colours to keep the cost down then we could get an exchanging thing going but If I'm the only person that's willing to do it then I have to face the fact that I won't be able to sell these on.

You can always try to list it on ebay. The different colored falcons sell.

Personally I'm ocd in this matter and want all exact pieces. I will either go all out on cost or won't purchase at all.

Or you could resell parts back on bricklink.

• Like 1

You can always try to list it on ebay. The different colored falcons sell.

Personally I'm ocd in this matter and want all exact pieces. I will either go all out on cost or won't purchase at all.

Or you could resell parts back on bricklink.

I'm guessing that most people share your view about wanting all exact pieces. With a little one on the way I'm just glad I can still have fun building, maybe I'll try and keep them for when he grows older  :D

Over the last 3 months I've bricklinked both the Cafe corner and the Imperial flagship.  For Cafe corner I dropped the 5 white windows for red, and the black front door for blue and the dark blue pillars for reddish brown.   I think it's definately good enough to add to my modular street and for the kids to play with.  For me it was a no brainer.  

White windows average 10$.  Red were .50cents.

blue pillars average 2$  r.brown were 20cents

black front door would have been around 15-20$ and blue was about 5.  

CafeCorner.jpg

Imperial flagship I swapped the 6x16's r.brown plates for pairs of 6x8's because the design allowed for it.  I also swapped the 2x2x11 pillars for 11 2x2 round bricks.  since they're all centered with a 32m technic axle the integrity is solid.  Everthing else is legit.  I haven't taken a decent picture of it yet.  

All in all, if it's for selling, I wouldn't sub any pieces out, and would definately do my best to make sure the colors are accurate.  For personal collection/play with the kids then I say do as many subs as your conscience will allow.  You'll know they're there. and they'll likely bug you. For no real useful reason.

• Like 3

Another thought on swapping out colours is that if you were to sell it locally (kijiji, craigslist etc) in the future, you would be able to sell it assembled. The buyer would be able to see that the set looks the same as a 100% one and would likely care less than if they had to assemble it and figure out what colour goes where. 

Another thought on swapping out colours is that if you were to sell it locally (kijiji, craigslist etc) in the future, you would be able to sell it assembled. The buyer would be able to see that the set looks the same as a 100% one and would likely care less than if they had to assemble it and figure out what colour goes where. 

As tempting as that may be, I don't think my conscience would allow me to sell it at least without informing them that a few bricks had been swapped out. But as you say unless they were a collector they wouldn't probably care.

Over the last 3 months I've bricklinked both the Cafe corner and the Imperial flagship.  For Cafe corner I dropped the 5 white windows for red, and the black front door for blue and the dark blue pillars for reddish brown.   I think it's definately good enough to add to my modular street and for the kids to play with.  For me it was a no brainer.  

White windows average 10$.  Red were .50cents.

blue pillars average 2$  r.brown were 20cents

black front door would have been around 15-20$ and blue was about 5.  

http://www.shayztar.com/images/CafeCorner.jpg

Imperial flagship I swapped the 6x16's r.brown plates for pairs of 6x8's because the design allowed for it.  I also swapped the 2x2x11 pillars for 11 2x2 round bricks.  since they're all centered with a 32m technic axle the integrity is solid.  Everthing else is legit.  I haven't taken a decent picture of it yet.  

All in all, if it's for selling, I wouldn't sub any pieces out, and would definately do my best to make sure the colors are accurate.  For personal collection/play with the kids then I say do as many subs as your conscience will allow.  You'll know they're there. and they'll likely bug you. For no real useful reason.

Thanks for the pic, I'm thinking I might start on the modulars after I've done a few more SW sets and I think you're right about knowing how many subs you're conscience will allow you.

Do you mind if I ask how much the CC and flagship ended up costing each, total? How long did each one take to complete?

If you had of seen that CC on ebay or craigslist with the same subs for the same price you paid, would you have rather bought it or do you enjoy finding and ordering everything on Bricklink? 

I absolutely would substitute colors for cost. I remember seeing a Lego Ideas vehicle submission that consisted of a few hundred pieces. The colors were all over the place which I thought was a bold move. The guy believed in his design enough to use whatever color bricks he had available at the time. Since then I've put building a multi-colored Tumbler on my bucket list.

Sent from my XT1028 using Brickpicker mobile app

I absolutely would substitute colors for cost. I remember seeing a Lego Ideas vehicle submission that consisted of a few hundred pieces. The colors were all over the place which I thought was a bold move. The guy believed in his design enough to use whatever color bricks he had available at the time. Since then I've put building a multi-colored Tumbler on my bucket list.

Sent from my XT1028 using Brickpicker mobile app

I'd love to see a multi coloured tumbler when you get round to doing it. Personally I think i'd like it to at least look similar to the original.

11618024934_52f4564490_z.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the pic, I'm thinking I might start on the modulars after I've done a few more SW sets and I think you're right about knowing how many subs you're conscience will allow you.

Do you mind if I ask how much the CC and flagship ended up costing each, total? How long did each one take to complete?

If you had of seen that CC on ebay or craigslist with the same subs for the same price you paid, would you have rather bought it or do you enjoy finding and ordering everything on Bricklink? 

I calculated the 10210 to have cost me 222$CAD  or 178 USD.  It only took me about a month to complete start to end.  The Cafe corner took me around 2.5 months from planning to my version of complete.  if I had to guess, I'd say the CC cost me around 350CAD/280USD.  A far cry from the resell prices of these things.  

pictures of the IF.  

http://www.shayztar.com/images/DSC_0630.JPG

example of the 2x2 round masts instead of the solid 2x2x11 mast pieces.

http://www.shayztar.com/images/DSC_0631.JPG

As for the last question, I think it depends.  For a "nearly" complete set you're also presenting the seller with the opportunity to finish the kit themselves.  However, I think due to the effort and time spent to assemble the brickbuild parts I wouldn't even sell it for just the piece cost that I paid.  in the case of the IF, I'd likely try to source the missing or color-changed pieces first before selling it.  There's a bit of therapy involved in bricklinking a set though.  It's enjoyable, but thankfully not terribly addictive. 

That's a beautiful ship, I might just have to add that to the ever growing list.

That was a great call on swapping out the mast you can't even see it in the first photo, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. That's awesome work getting it under $200 as well, it definitely puts it in the 'worth bricklinking' category since you saved around $200 from buying it used. And as for getting your CC under $300, that's awesome and at that price, well worth doing.

That's a great way of putting it "It's enjoyable, but thankfully not terribly addictive." I'm at the stage where parts have started arriving and it's taking everything I've got to hold off building until everything arrives just so that I can build it over a weekend rather than spurts.

What do you think you're next set will be?

what's to hate?

I have never bricklinked a set but have bulk lots which I bricklinked the missing pieces and it was quite time consuming finding the best prices with as little vendors as possible and keeping track of everything.  I just think a whole set would be too time consuming and I personally would hate doing it.  I love building and displaying lego.

• Like 1

my next project is the market street. But I have to let the dust settle with my wife for at least a month. Since Christmas I've done the two brickbuilds, bought the entire pirates line, bricklinked the blue conversion for the brick bounty, bought my daughter the elves tree house and all the 2015 princess sets , the valentines and Easter set and detectives office. And that's all for personal build. My chequing acct is in shambles. Also the tax-man cometh soon.

• Like 3

my next project is the market street. But I have to let the dust settle with my wife for at least a month. Since Christmas I've done the two brickbuilds, bought the entire pirates line, bricklinked the blue conversion for the brick bounty, bought my daughter the elves tree house and all the 2015 princess sets , the valentines and Easter set and detectives office. And that's all for personal build. My chequing acct is in shambles. Also the tax-man cometh soon.

Market street is easy to bricklink, and inexpensive.

Over the last year or so, I've done quite a bit of Bricklink'ing of sets.  It can be cost effective, or it can be a little foolhardy.  But it's fun, nonetheless.

The only that I've completed is Mini Modulars 10230.  I'm in the process of finalizing a number of other sets, though:

• 10199 Winter Village Toy Shop
  • 40026 Statue of Liberty
  • 40078 Hot Dog Cart
  • 8398 BBQ Stand
  • 9465 Zombies
  • The Ghost Mini Build (SDCC / Canadian Fan Expo)
  • Voltron
  • 10173 Holiday Train
  • 10196 Grand Carousel

As you can see, I've got quite a few projects in the queue, which is why I haven't finished any of them.  LOL

Other than the last two (Holiday Train and Grand Carousel), I should have all the parts to finish everything else up by the end of next week.  So I'll report back on how all of those go.  I changed course with the Holiday Train and Grand Carousel, which is why they are on hold for the moment.

• Like 1

Over the last year or so, I've done quite a bit of Bricklink'ing of sets.  It can be cost effective, or it can be a little foolhardy.  But it's fun, nonetheless.

The only that I've completed is Mini Modulars 10230.  I'm in the process of finalizing a number of other sets, though:

• 10199 Winter Village Toy Shop
  • 40026 Statue of Liberty
  • 40078 Hot Dog Cart
  • 8398 BBQ Stand
  • 9465 Zombies
  • The Ghost Mini Build (SDCC / Canadian Fan Expo)
  • Voltron
  • 10173 Holiday Train
  • 10196 Grand Carousel

As you can see, I've got quite a few projects in the queue, which is why I haven't finished any of them.  LOL

Other than the last two (Holiday Train and Grand Carousel), I should have all the parts to finish everything else up by the end of next week.  So I'll report back on how all of those go.  I changed course with the Holiday Train and Grand Carousel, which is why they are on hold for the moment.

I should probably Bricklink 9465 Zombies and sell my sealed copy.

I should probably Bricklink 9465 Zombies and sell my sealed copy.

It's actually ridiculously cheap if you're willing to sub out one or two parts and do without the bride.  I just wanted to car and the mausoleum for the Halloween Town.  I've got enough monsters roaming around that I don't *need* to have the bride and groom.  And it's really only the bride's hairpiece, I believe that is expensive.

You've been busy since christmas.

I have never bricklinked a set but have bulk lots which I bricklinked the missing pieces and it was quite time consuming finding the best prices with as little vendors as possible and keeping track of everything.  I just think a whole set would be too time consuming and I personally would hate doing it.  I love building and displaying lego.

You've definitely right about time consuming, and as much as I wanted to find the cheapest parts from the least amount of stores I had to compromise a bit just so I didn't go crazy.

I ended up listing all the parts by total price, finding the cheapest store for the most expensive part on the list and then sourcing as much as possible from that one store, I figure that the bulk cost of the set is in the top 10% of the parts and so getting them the cheapest negates that extra cent I paid on each of the cheaper items.