42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

Box condition means very little if you can save $60 on an exclusive set in the US.

The only comparable price might be around Black Friday with 12% ********** cashback, a free lego gift, and double points, but you still might have to sell the gift to reach $190 after all is said and done and you still need to use those points.

• 6 months later...

You can but it's still a bit too high for me, and you have to consider that it will probably stay available for one more year.

• Like 1

127 pounds is "only" 25% off, right now I would be ok to grab some with 35% off (110 pounds) considering the time you'll have to keep until its retirement.

To be true, I wait for 35% to pull the trigger.

Of course if we were on February 2016 my advice would not be the same, I would shout "go go go buy buy !!!" :)

Edited by biniou

127 GBP isn't bad, but it isn't that cheap either. At least not cheap enough to stock up on a set that very likely has an EOL ~Dec 2016.

The current price is the lowest on record including VAT. If you are tax exempt it will be less and GBP has fallen against the USD today so I suppose tomorrow it will be even cheaper!

I think when I looked it up on Camel Camel Camel, it was a few pounds cheaper back in mid December. But with the favorable exchange rate, this is good to go!!

Unfortunately.. the Euro is worth **** this moment LOL :-P cheapest I found was last year 144 euro. Everything below 150 euro is a very good deal in my eyes. Nevertheless, there is still some time to acquire this set for investment purposes. At this moment the 42009 Mobile Crane has my full attention because that's most probably the the first big Technic set going to be retired (this year probably, standard rule is 2 year lifespan for a technic set).

On topic: A very, very good deal for you GB and US folks, I would pick them up at this price point.

Edited by JM123

For any Canadians looking at buying from Amazon UK - I've ordered from them before and had no problems, though delivery is slow as expected.

The loader works out to roughly $206 CDN for one, $407 CDN for two.(plus any foreign tx fees on your credit card - mine has ). This is the best price I've ever seen since Costco had them for $229.99 last fall. After fees, it'll be about $211 shipped (plus tax when it arrives of course) but that's just shy of 30% off MSRP.

For any Canadians looking at buying from Amazon UK - I've ordered from them before and had no problems, though delivery is slow as expected.

The loader works out to roughly $206 CDN for one, $407 CDN for two.(plus any foreign tx fees on your credit card - mine has ). This is the best price I've ever seen since Costco had them for $229.99 last fall. After fees, it'll be about $211 shipped (plus tax when it arrives of course) but that's just shy of 30% off MSRP.

Who do they ship with do you know? Is it UPS/Fedex by any chance? hate their brokerage fees...

However if they ship with their local post company to Canada Post i'd be all for it.

Who do they ship with do you know? Is it UPS/Fedex by any chance? hate their brokerage fees...

However if they ship with their local post company to Canada Post i'd be all for it.

When I ordered a bunch of items over a year ago they never used UPS or Fedex.  Hopefully that hasn't changed because I just ordered something.

• Like 1

I built both 42009 and 42030.   I was very impressed with 42009, IMHO the finest Technic set built, ever.  I was very unimpressed with 42030.  The Loader is a wonderful display model, it really captures the look of the original.  As a functioning model, its less impressive.  The biggest issue is the non-proportional steering.  They provide the expensive servo motor with the set, but don't provide the proportional IR transmitter to run it (same IR transmitter as in the trains).  Bit of a head scratcher, that one.

Also, the build for 42030 was just boring.  Maybe its me, but the Technic sets with gear boxes that figure out how to power multiple functions from a single motor are infinitely more fun than the sets that hook up a discrete motor to each function.  I love the complexity of the gearboxes, etc.  42009 is the absolute king of this; if you haven't built one, you're missing out.  

Given all this, my personal preference is 42009.  I'm not as convinced about 42030 yet, and have only acquired 2 at discount (one was basically free with TRU rewards).  Would think 42030 has plenty of life, but read a rumor here it may go early.  If that's the case, get 'em while you can.  $170 shipped from the UK is a reasonable buy-in, for sure.  

Edited by diablo2112

I always just pick Standard Shipping... They use DHL which charges WAAAAY less brokerage than UPS.

Back in January, I ordered two MKII - total paid to Amazon UK was $376.23 as per my credit card statement.  All of the invoice and packing slips don't mention the cost, but I'm almost positive Canada Post delivered it to my door and charged me $56.46 for a total of 432.69. Taxes for me are 13% (and the way Amazon fills in the declared value I ended up paying tax on the $8 shipping charge). That made each one $216.35 and the total "brokerage" was $7.55 which looks like it is 2% of the total cost (376 * 0.02 = 7.52).

I'll try to find the invoice slip... It's still a good deal with the 2% brokerage fee which basically turns it into a 15% tax. Ouch.

• Like 1

Also, the build for 42030 was just boring.  Maybe its me, but the Technic sets with gear boxes that figure out how to power multiple functions from a single motor are infinitely more fun than the sets that hook up a discrete motor to each function.  I love the complexity of the gearboxes, etc.  42009 is the absolute king of this; if you haven't built one, you're missing out. 

42009 has no IR receiver - all functions must be manually switched over and controlled. I wish at least the driving and steering were motorized.

Does the server motor respond to proportional speed? For the crawlers, it seems it only does left or right. I imagine a proportional servo would cost a bit more to produce than a simple left-right. You can spend big bucks on servos for RC cars or just buy the cheapo $20 ones with plastic gears.

I'm 80% certain the lego servo motor is proportional and will respond to varied inputs.  I'd like to have a definitive answer to that, if anyone knows.  

42009 is not a remote-control model, while the Volvo is.  That's a point in favor of the Loader, for sure.  As I mentioned in another thread, I personally don't think the RC feature of these Lego Technic models is  much of an advantage.  It's an added feature, that's all.  

As an RC model, Lego is terrible.  Expensive, slow, non-proportional steering, and can't really be used outdoors.  It's mostly a gimmick.  I prefer Lego for display, and if a working model, the way they accomplish the functionality (such as the gearboxes in 42009 and 42006).  It may be different for kids, and for all I know, they adore the RC aspect.  For AFOL, the build/display/complexity are more important.  But, what do I know?  The Crawler might end up being the best long-term Technic investment, ever (though it's been a dog so far to date).

Off topic, I do a lot of RC modeling, have done so for 35 years.  Love it, but abhor the move to ARF and RTF models nowadays.  Man, did I enjoy building a balsa wing with pins on a wooden board.  Heck, I remember when Monocoat coverings changed everything, you didn't have to get high on dope and tissue paper anymore.