DC Super Hero Girls - general discussion

TheOrcKing

41 minutes ago, longshot said:

Gee I dont know how about the invisible jet............ I think that might be a little more in line with a super hero then a dorm room, no? And certainly adds to the swoosh factor..........:D

Dude, the girl has an invisible motorcycle in her dorm room.  That is pretty hard core superhero-ing right there :P

Maybe this version of Wonder Woman is not old enough to get a flying license yet ;) 

• Like 2

Gee I dont know how about the invisible jet............ I think that might be a little more in line with a super hero then a dorm room, no? And certainly adds to the swoosh factor..........

You're really missing the point. These sets are based on a TV show called D.C. Super Hero Girls and the sets reflect the show. They are mini-dolls, which share the target demo of the show, little girls. I have a 5 year old who absolutely loves these and (surprisingly) didn't critique their choice of locations and vehicles. Except the helicopter. Even she knows Lego needs to stop with the helicopters ;)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, longshot said:

Gee I dont know how about the invisible jet............ I think that might be a little more in line with a super hero then a dorm room, no? And certainly adds to the swoosh factor..........:D

They made an invisible jet for the regular minifigs and it wasn't all that popular (or good).

LEGO likes to bill themselves (and many of us like to believe it too) as a benevolent company when it comes to stereotypes and role models, but the bottom line is that they need to work from the source material, produce sets in a variety of price ranges and sell them. Selling them often means they go for the easy win and play to the girly girl and manly man stereotypes.

Either way, I have to admit these mini dolls are well done. Lots of detail and creativity in the builds and they really do look like the cartoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

They made an invisible jet for the regular minifigs and it wasn't all that popular (or good).

LEGO likes to bill themselves (and many of us like to believe it too) as a benevolent company when it comes to stereotypes and role models, but the bottom line is that they need to work from the source material, produce sets in a variety of price ranges and sell them. Selling them often means they go for the easy win and play to the girly girl and manly man stereotypes.

Either way, I have to admit these mini dolls are well done. Lots of detail and creativity in the builds and they really do look like the cartoon.

I was thinking of the stereotypes while looking at the advent calendars the other day. I was thinking of how, for the past 2 years, my daughters have opened the friends advent calendar and been underwhelmed. The builds are much more simple and there are several days where you get a baggie of hair products or cooking utensils. You get 2 mini dolls, whereas with City and Star Wars you get something to build every day and like 6 minifigures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I was thinking of the stereotypes while looking at the advent calendars the other day. I was thinking of how, for the past 2 years, my daughters have opened the friends advent calendar and been underwhelmed. The builds are much more simple and there are several days where you get a baggie of hair products or cooking utensils. You get 2 mini dolls, whereas with City and Star Wars you get something to build every day and like 6 minifigures.

Yep.. but stick all three Calendars in front them and which would they choose?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...